the beast is back...yuri van gelder

Started by Alessandro Mainente, December 27, 2010 · 16 Replies · 5,560 Views

Alessandro Mainente

only for my curiosity, he does at the beginning a sort of reverse cranks arriving in maltese, what is the value of this skill?

i've seen about 20000+ videos on youtube but is not a skill that you can see often...

Njbtbl_mZ38

Razz

Yes it's an E skill. Old news though, he is already out again.. Doubt he will get back again.

irongymnast

Why is he out again?

Razz

"Personal reasons" I believe... Wouldn't be surprised if he's using stuff again. Sad as he is really an idol for me in the regard of sports.

Guest

After winning his most recent title earlier this year Yuri withdrew from the World Championships in Rotterdam at the last moment, citing 'personal reasons'. The Dutch gymnastics union then released a press statement claiming that he had admitted using cocaine again, which was immediately denied by Yuri and his entourage (and there is no evidence whatsoever that Yuri has indeed used illegal substances again). After much discussion the last official statement I heard said that Yuri decided to withdraw from 'Rotterdam' because he couldn't deal with the stress/expectations and was afraid that because of this stress he might have a relapse and use something again. He did not want this and therefore withdrew. We will probably never know whether the union has accidentally or deliberately misinterpreted Yuri's statements.

Anyway, I think he 'paid his dues' and I fully support his return to the gymnastics world.

irongymnast

How can cocaine not have an impact on his athletic performance?

Alexander Moreen

Who says it doesn't? He could be even better is all it really says.

rubadub
irongymnast said:
How can cocaine not have an impact on his athletic performance?

He could be having occasional low doses. Seems with illegal drugs people presume everybody is an uncontrollable addict, while they can accept "aunt Joan" can have a single sherry at christmas time!

The snooker player Ronnie O'Sullivan was caught with cannabis in a drug test, I would say it might have more of an effect on athletic performance than cocaine- a stimulant, I have heard of sherpas chewing coca leaves for it stimulant effect and it helps with altitude sickeness and endurance.

StevenL

I've played pool my entire life and gambled on it in my teens. I also habitually smoked pot the entire time I was gambling on pool. I beat a lot of very good people high. I have since quit gambling on pool and smoking pot, and I just can't play as well anymore. Maybe the extra focus went away when the pressure of gambling was no longer present, but I always felt the pot kept me level and centered while playing big money games.

BTW, I didn't know that about Ronnie. Interesting...

Timy7

Guy is a mutant, he dwarfs all the other ring specialists arms and shoulders.....Monster shame about the coke.

Blairbob

In my mother's country, Peru, many people just chew on the leaves for energy. There was a story of an aunt or family friend who would chew on the leaves and bake all night. It has been done for years in the mountains to deal with the cold and altitude besides any hard work.

Alessandro Mainente
Timy7 said:
Guy is a mutant, he dwarfs all the other ring specialists arms and shoulders.....Monster shame about the coke.

i think is not the biggest....in 1996 there was chaney umprey if i remember correctly...

David Picó García

OMG just youtubed chaney umprey and .... :shock:

Guest

Update on Yuri: he seems to have reconciliated with the Dutch gymnastics union. I'm looking forward to his (second) return!!

Razz

Nice if Yuri returns again!

check out chaney in this video, at around 7:30

TGaiI0UKnfs

Alessandro Mainente

i saw him in another video...i think that at this level is more difficult perform some routine, i saw him on Pbars, and the bars slam under his body...and if you see his routine you can notice how he is limited in some movements