This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Brian's Workout

Started by bwhittak, June 21, 2008 · 2 Replies · 758 Views

bwhittak

June 21, 2008

*I should note that many of these exercises reps & sets I have listed goals to work towards. I am not currently able to accomplish all of them with the proper form (although proper form is my main focus) and to the full extent, but I am already noticing progress.*

Workout Days: M,T & Th,F

Day 1 (M/Th)

Warm-up (Push-ups, Sit-ups, Dips)

Handstand Progression

-with Wall, focus on proper form, 30 sec max currently

Planche Progression

-tuck Planche, focus on straight back, 18 second max

Hanging L-Sit Lift

-3x6, 3-1-3 count, focus on straight legs

Side Lever Progression

-3x6, 3-1-3 count, hanging from parallel bars, focus on holding legs together

Single-leg squats

-3x5, still developing endurance with these, focus on "exploding" upwards

Stretching (Standing Pikes, Horizontal Splits, Shoulder Stretching)

Day 2 (T/F)

Warm-up (Push-ups, Sit-ups, Pull-ups)

Wrist Push-ups

-3x10

Limber/Bridge? Progression

-with Wall, 5x3, difficulty bending backwards at waist

L-sit Straddle Rope Climb

-3x4, 10ft rope

Body Levers

-3x6, elevated shoulders, flat back, fully extended

HeadSPU

-4x5, developing shoulder strength for HSPU

Yewkis

-5x4, 3-1-3, flat back, fully extended

Single-leg squats

-3x5, still developing endurance with these, focus on "exploding" upwards

Stretching (Weighted Pikes, Front Splits, Lower Back)

Feel free to comment.

-Brian

Edward Smith

Hi Bwhittak,

I'll give you my opinion. Firstly I think you could do some antagonist work (opposite, i.e pull ups and HSPU), alternating sets of exercises, this allows for more time between sets with out getting 'cold' or wasting time. Elaborating on this, you don't have perfectly opposite exercises it could be something like hanging leg lifts and handstands paired together, I would STRONGLY advise against having handstands and planche work right after. It will wear your arms out and the rest of your body too quickly.

Secondly, is there a reason you don't do front lever work? I just ask as you have yewkis listed as an exercise. If you don't wanna work front levers (specifically) then I suggest pairing this with the planche work. I personally think it would be more beneficial to work on front levers first, then move onto yewkis (just my thoughts).

Last of all, the wrist push ups, are they push ups Coach Sommer has described? because if they are it would be best to do them at the end of your workout as doing high reps (if 3x10 is pushing it for you) with these will weaken your wrists for the session. They are meant to strengthen the muscles (to an extent) but primarily strengthen your connective tissues (connective tissue strengthens at 1/10th the speed of muscles). However I find doing one set of each (of about half my max reps) before a session makes wrists more flexible and sstronger/stabilier.

Hope you can take some valuable info from this,

Ed

bwhittak

thanks for the feedback ed x.

I agree with what you described as the antagonist exercise approach. For most of my workout I alternate pull/push or different muscle groups to maximize the use of my time. I'll see what I can do about the handstand/planche suggestion.

In regards to the front levers, I have worked on the front lever tuck a bit, but I have should pain after each hold and I am not exactly sure why. It could be that I am not engaging my shoulder muscles enough or that I can only do the front lever with hollow shoulders right now, or even that my shoulders are being stretched a lot during the exercise. Whatever the actual reason, I have decided to postpone the front lever progressions and replace them with the Yewkis because they don't cause shoulder pain. Also, I have thought about doing Rows (which don't cause me shoulder pain) instead of the Front Lever/ Yewkis, I enjoy body weight exercises much more than with metal weights because BW is much more engaging of the muscles.

Good point about the wrist pushups, typically I do the flat hand to knuckles before the workout then the inward fist pushups after the workout. And I can't currently reach that many reps (3x10) anyways but I'll alter the routine and give it a try.

-Brian