handstand demo 2010

Started by Mikael Kristiansen, December 22, 2010 · 11 Replies · 4,054 Views

Mikael Kristiansen

This is a clip of some training footage from my first semester of the second year at the circus education in Stockholm. Mostly handbalancing+a bit of straps.

WQ2MZyJ12-4

I have learned a lot from this forum, and use several of the exercises/principles I have picked up here in my daily training. Regards to Coach Sommer who has made such information available, and such a community possible.

Brendan Coad

incredible. Thank you for posting this, its a great inspiration to myself and many others I'm sure.

garythenuke

Simply amazing.

So are you actually in the circus? Can you really make a living at that? I'm not being in the least bit snarky. If you have found a way to make a living doing something you are good at, something you love, and something that is so danged cool and fun then you are one of the very few blessed souls. I'd love to give up my career as an office drone, but it's too late. It seems like there are more of the lucky ones on this forum than most other places.

keep up the awesome work!!! :mrgreen:

Gavin Strelitz

That is very impressive. I like the transfers at 2:36, but all of it is top drawer.

Newguy

Okay, Now that is Awesomely insane, and the strap work is pretty beastly too, did I see a one armed back lever?? :shock:

Mikael Kristiansen

@garythenuke, the circus community is quite different from what people think actually. There are a lot happening in the scene nowadays. There are many now that is trying to push circus as an artform, and not only as an entertainment industry, and there is actually a lot of work for the artists. There are also many schools that educate artists at a professional level each year, and they focus just as much on inspiring the creativity of the artists, as on building the physical skills.

@newguy, yes it was supposed to be 1 arm back lever though I couldnt hold it for long after that combination. Looks better from the other angle I think.

Joshua Naterman

WOW. I'm not sure which part to comment on first... I love all the different handstand movements!

Cole Dano

I've been fortunate enough to see Mikeal live inches from my face (bjonic was there too!) and its impressive. Moreover the utter naturalness of it is a wonder. Mikeal was born to be on his hand(s)!

Thanks for putting that up Mikeal, allot of folks have been wanting to see it.

Pedro Otero

Really amazing...

So, say I want to switch careers and do that full time; how would one go about starting on that path?

Cole Dano
Rio Yeti said:
Really amazing...

So, say I want to switch careers and do that full time; how would one go about starting on that path?

Well its going to take a lot of practice. If you're serious than the best thing to do would be to hook up with an equilibrist to teach you. Maybe someone on the forum will have some advice for who to see in your area.

Keep doing the WODs and FSPs to build strength and get on your hands some everyday to start.

sean.albo

Your video is absolutely inspiring. Though I was pursuing handbalance mostly as a supplement to capoeira and breakdancing, I feel motivated to approach is as its own endeavor.

I'm going to take Mr. Brady's advice and ask if anybody knows of an equilibrist/handbalancers around Miami. I've seen a website for circus school, but it seems centered on silks/aerials and another on trapeze.

Svend

I love how solid your "two arm" handstand is. Whenever things get shaky you just go back into a regular handstand as if it was the world's most comfortable and relaxing position 8)