This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 101221

Started by Coach Sommer, December 21, 2010 · 18 Replies · 2,952 Views

Coach Sommer

Perform the following:

3 sets of; MU, 2 XR Dips, L-sit press shoulder stand, roll fwd into a MU to a shoulder stand, negative Reverse MU down to an inverted hang, 2 slow Negative Front Pulls, 2 slow Negative Back Pulls

5x15 seconds FL

5x15 seconds XR Strap HS

5x15 seconds German Hang

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions.

notes:

1) Do not rest during the Ring strength series.

2) Strive to perform the MUs with an emphasis on strength; keeping the kipping minimized or preferably eliminated all together. Be especially conscientious in locking your arms and turning out the rings at the top of each repetition.

3) Progressions for developing the XR shoulder stand are found in the Basic Ring Strength 3 essay.

4) You may use the feet on the straps to slow your descent during the negative Reverse MU.

5) Use the position of your choice during the negative Front and Back Pulls that allows you to control the descent while still being challenging. The ascent and descent of these elements may both be performed in different positions.

6) Complete all 3 sets of the ring strength series prior to beginning the static hold position sets.

7) Rest at least 3-5 minutes between ring strength sets.

8 ) Perform the static hold sets as a single giant set; perform a set of FL, then move immediately to the XR Strap HS and then move immediately to the German Hang.

9) A short rest (30-60 sec) is allowed during the static hold positions work only after a single giant set has been completed.

David Beckerman

Broke this one down into it's parts.

WU

4x15sec Frog stands

4x15sec L-sit tucks

WOD (3 sets each set as follows)

XR Pull up, 3 x Bulgarian Dips (unintentional as this is how far the bars are apart in the park), PB support hold, Pull up and bulgarian dip, inverted hang. Supported inverted curls x 2, slow negative chin ups x 2

5 x 15sec inverted hang

5 x 15sec PB support hold (really want to work on getting XR support hold)

5 x 15sec supported german hangs

2 x 10 floor extensions

Cheers,

Dave

gymgreg

ruS0D-mKO-0

Mehmet Yuce

I'm dying to do these ring series, but I can't even do the first one. You probably know that little guy in the video rolling back from the support position. When I try to do that I either roll 360 degrees in an uncontrolled manner or I end up as if I'm doing a tucked front lever, abruptly pulling on the rings downward before completing the turn. How could I break this move into small enough movements so I can deal with? I can't wait for the seminar...

Mathias Flækøy

This is by far the greatest ringworkout i've ever done! My assisted MU went really good, never had so much power. I mastered the transition!! Even it's really cold outside (rings hangs from a tree), aproxemently -17, i felt so much joy today - and I also hope you guys and girls feel the same.

Thanks to all!

Patrick Angelo Sardilli
Hannibal said:
This is by far the greatest ringworkout i've ever done! My assisted MU went really good, never had so much power. I mastered the transition!! Even it's really cold outside (rings hangs from a tree), aproxemently -17, i felt so much joy today - and I also hope you guys and girls feel the same.

Thanks to all!

you animal you did it outside in the cold? :shock: lol Good Job!

Mathias Flækøy

Yea, hah thanks.

Just to mention; I think I will get a pullupbar this christmas, which means i can do those ringroutines inside :D

albrecht80

We tried it today in ower university gym class. Our old gymnasts always said we should train that way. Guess they are right :D

Feel free to comment. I also included some fun we had. It was the last training this year.

http://www.vimeo.com/18052527

David Barclay

Lots of scaling needed for this one; primarily because I am new to this, and also because I did it in my office gym. I shared the space with some folks doing a beginner core class - needless to say I got some looks.

General WU

Lifting - 531 bench program

140 lbs x 5

150 x 5

160 x 7 (5 + 2 extra)

WOD

3 sets:

4 x pull ups, 5 x dips, 2 x HSPU. (Massive scaling required. In retrospect, I should have done a roll after the pullups. I can normally do 8 HSPU, so needless to say, I have work to do.)

I would like to think I got the 'spirit' of the ring series in, but that is stretching it, I know...

5 sets

15s Front Lever tuck

15s wall hand stands (In retrospect, to easy, but my options where limited. Should have done at least 30 seconds)

15s German Hang

50s rest

2 x 5 Wall Extensions.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

Warmup:

2 Rounds:

300m Row

2 Strict CTB Pullups with 5s Hold at Top

5 Pushups

2 HeSPU followed by 2 small HSPU on Parallettes

2 Seated XR Wide MU

WOD:

3 sets:

MU, 2 XR Dips, L-Sit Press to Shoulder Stand, Roll MU to Shoulder Stand, Negative Reverse MU, 2 Slow Negative Front Pulls (Flat Tuck/Tuck), 2 Slow Negative Back Pulls (Full Back Lever).

Rest 5 mins. MY FOREARMS WERE ON LACTIC ACID TO THE MAX! :shock:

5 Rounds:

15s Front Lever (Tuck)

15s XR Strap HS (I can now press with bent arms to HS; its a start! :D )

15s German Hang

Finish with 2 x 10 Wall Extensions.

My first XR Press to HS (Bent arm but I was never able to do this!)

yfU_FOhwNsk

I couldn't go full negative touching ground :( (you see me suffering from lactic acid in forearms also haha)

TPJ2HDE6GPI

Squatchy

I've said this before, and I'll say it again, I LOVE these ring strength workouts.

SPARTAN-367 (PAT) said:

MY FOREARMS WERE ON LACTIC ACID TO THE MAX! :shock:

I know what you mean. I did a little grip training yesterday. Doing the workout today, when I got to the german hangs It was all I could do to hang on the bar for 15s, I was hanging by the ends of my fingers by the end. My grip/forearms were smoked. :lol:

Grats on the XR press to HS

Newguy

I know what you mean, today I was not even able to get the full 15 seconds in on some of the German hangs!

Oh and If you get a straight arm pike press XR HS Tell me. Because that is a B rated skill, the same level as an iron cross :)

John Sapinoso

pre workout:4 tbsp VCO, 2 tbsp cacao with coconut sugar

3 x wide slow MU, 2 bulgarians**, L sit pres shoulderstand, reverse MU down to inverted hang, roll forward to muscle up to shoulderstand, reverse MU to inverted hang, two back lever cranks, two front pulls

statics as written...FL did with a 15-30 degree straddle.

PWO: 2tbsp vco, 1 tbsp cacao, 1 scoops whey, 1 liter water

XR dips, RTO and BGD don't challenge me as much as I'd like them to. So I played with a different Bulgarian dip variation today: from the bottom of the rep I straighten my arms and arrive at 90 degree angle cross and complete the movement smoothly with a partial cross pull.

Hopefully this is a safe variation....perhaps I'd be better served with a very slow RTO, any suggestions?

Coach Sommer
... XR dips, RTO and BGD don't challenge me as much as I'd like them to. So I played with a different Bulgarian dip variation today: from the bottom of the rep I straighten my arms and arrive at 90 degree angle cross and complete the movement smoothly with a partial cross pull ...

For you I see no issues here, given your training background you are ready for this variation.

Good job!

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Velocity

Did this yesterday evening with tweaks due to 1) not (yet) having rings, 2) only having a doorway pull-up bar, 3) being unable to do muscle-ups at all and not just because of #2 :lol:, and 4) various scale-downs due to level of ability at this point in time.

Warmup

-- 4 x 15 sec. frog stands

-- 4 x 15 sec. L-sit holds, legs are below parallel

WOD First set

-- 1 pull-up

-- 3 PB dips (one leg supported)

-- PB support (didn't time it, stupid of me)

-- 1 pull-up

-- 1 PB dip (no support)

-- 2 x Invert hang to tuck back lever, then back to hang, then attempt to tuck front lever (the last part... yeah, didn't work out too well; I got there, just couldn't hold it for more than a second or two)

The pull-ups were my fault, I had written down to do more than I did that first set. So for sets 2/3...

WOD Sets 2 & 3

-- 3 pull-ups

-- 3 PB dips (one leg supported)

-- PB support (as long as possible; probably in realm of 30-45 seconds)

-- 3 pull-ups

-- 2 PB dips (no support)

-- 2 x Invert hang sequence, same as above

Then...

5 x 15 sec. inverted hang (may have been able to do tuck back lever, but my grip was giving out during the hangs, no telling how long I would've lasted with TBL)

5 x 15 sec. wall handstands (used only one foot for support)

5 x 15 sec. supported German hangs (or, at least, as best as I could figure; haven't done them before)

Then 2 x 10 wall extensions.

j4b

Warm:

6x 10sec lsit (ground)

4x15 sec tuck planche

- 3 sets of; MU, 2 XR bulgarian dips, L-sit press shoulder stand, roll fwd into a MU to a shoulder stand, negative Reverse MU down to an inverted hang, 2 slow Negative Front Pulls (straddle), 2 slow Negative Back Pulls (straddle)

5x15 seconds adv tuck FL

5x15 seconds XR Strap HS

5x15 seconds tuck BL

finished with

Ido's scap + shoulder routiene, shoulder dislocates, and 2x 10 wall extensions

2 sets of:

10 sec iron cross static (it was nowhere near an iron cross, about 45 degrees), then 5 reverse muscle ups (lowering from shoulder stand as far as possible then pulling back, followed by one slowwww negative on the 5th)

2x 5 straight arm flys from the knees

..and that's why today (the day after), my biceps are ungodly sore.

Still can't get a forward roll to muscle up for the life of me...

***for the wall extensions, is every part of your back supposed to be touching? I usually find it's easier to have a slight arch in the lower back...but it's much much harder/impossible when I flatten it against the wall - which way would be correct? I assume the more difficult way :P

Kenneth Manning

3 sets of:

3MU-->2 XR dips-->2 L sit to tuck press shoulderstand-->backward roll-->2 invert pullups-->2 slow negative adv tuck front pulls (tuck ascent)-->2 slow negative back pulls (BL negative, tuck BL ascent)

5 x 15 sec of:

adv tuck FL

german hang

XR support

wall extensions x 10, 7+3

*still working on forward roll to MU. Not there yet and I didn't want to break up my ring series, so I just added a few MU's to the beginning. And dear god did this WOD ever work the living hell out of my entire upper body. Sheesh.

Tyler Schmitz

Today's WOD:

Warm up:

4x10 s Tuck PL

4x10 s Straddle L

4x10 s HSMH

3 sets of: 2 MU, 2 XR Dips, L-sit press to shoulder stand, fwd roll to shoulder stand, Neg. Reverse MU, 2 Neg. Half Lay Front Pulls, 2 Neg. Full lay Back Pulls

Rested 5 min between sets

5 rds:

15 s Adv. Tuck FL

15 s German Hang

15 s XR Strap HS

rested 1 min between rds

Finished with 2 x 10 Wall Extensions on Floor then a short jog down road

Joshua Naterman

I finally got this one done today. My press to shoulderstand has gotten very good, I am quite happy about that! I did very, very slow muscle up negatives plus one actual muscle up on the first two rounds of ring strength. Slow front pulls went well, and I did pelican negatives instead of reverse muscle up.

I also did a part of the 20th's WOD today, swinging dips and explosive chest work. L sit work was done instead of L sit walks and that was a wrap! I am looking forward to being caught up next week. Strength is coming along very nicely and my elbows are feeling very good. I hope everyone is doing well as the end of the year approaches!