Ankles preparation

Started by workinprogress, December 16, 2010 · 2 Replies · 2,193 Views

workinprogress

Hello there, I have always had a very annoying problem on my ankles, basically I have very long calves and achille's tendons, and this effects my landing on the floor dramatically: every time I'm short on landings I tend to injury my feet (tarsus region), by closing too much the angle on the ankle. I happen to see guys landing short but keeping their heels up, "protecting" their ankle, something I'm absolutely not able to do.

Just take a look at Jovtchev's dismount here

his double straight is short but his heels are not "dropping" on the floor.

I am therefore planning a conditioning program for my calves and my tibialis. If you have any hint on the conditioning and especially for my problem, please be as eloquent as possible.

Thank you!

Blairbob

Just like dance, toe>ball>heel.

Single leg hopping and running. I use the hopping vertically variant as a warmup but use the runs to develop and strengthen the ankle.

Ankle/Calf toe/heel raises. Presumably you could even weight these.

With little ones you can start off with simple releve holds then one foot releve holds with the free leg in coupe/passe/whatever.

Cole Dano
http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5220