Mental training

Started by Razz, December 13, 2010 · 5 Replies · 2,555 Views

Razz

Hey guys

I haven't been able to find much on pubmed in regards to benefits of mental training in actual numbers. If anyone could help me out to good resources books and share their experiences it would be cool!

Razz

Philip Chubb

I have used this a lot for my jiujitsu, handbalancing, and gymnastics. Sometimes, I would end up not being able to go back to one or the other for some reason. During these periods, I would spend a lot of time mental training and visualizing and breaking the concepts down to the point that a baby could understand. The result was that I would always come back better. I believe it helps a lot. There was also a study on skiers I believe with mental training. Three groups. One group trained. One mental trained. And one did both. The one that did both improved the most but what is interesting is that the group that mental trained did better than the just training group.

Aaron Griffin
PHILIP said:
I have used this a lot for my jiujitsu, handbalancing, and gymnastics. Sometimes, I would end up not being able to go back to one or the other for some reason. During these periods, I would spend a lot of time mental training and visualizing and breaking the concepts down to the point that a baby could understand. The result was that I would always come back better. I believe it helps a lot. There was also a study on skiers I believe with mental training. Three groups. One group trained. One mental trained. And one did both. The one that did both improved the most but what is interesting is that the group that mental trained did better than the just training group.

Visualization is a very important learning technique for skill-based work. It shows up in a lot of martial arts, and I have seen studies regarding it (no links, sorry)

Razz

Interesting guys. I have no doubt it helps skill work, I was looking for something like a study comparing mental training, resistance training and both together, would be cool to see if there's an actual strength benefit.

Pedro Otero

I'd be interested in seeing this kind of study with hardcore meditators... I'm still amazed at the incredible power of focus and visualization I got to with just under 3 weeks of the most relaxed (but still serious) vipassana retreat ever; It'd be interesting to see how that kind of mental intensity would change things.

In fact, I dream of one day hosting long Meditation/Fitness retreats; double whammy for benefits squared, is my hope :)