This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 101207

Started by Coach Sommer, December 7, 2010 · 18 Replies · 2,653 Views

Coach Sommer

K7DaRCQh0lY

Perform:

1x10 Cast Wall Walks

1x5 Pike Box Press HS

1x10 Straddle Box Press HS

12 cycles of XR Strap HS

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Rest 1-2 minutes between Press HS sets.

2) If Cast Wall Walks are insufficiently challenging, you may perform PL Wall Walks instead. The key difference between these two variations is that the hands will remain behind the shoulders at all times during the descent and ascent of the PL Walks, whereas in the Cast Wall Walks the hands are directly under the shoulders.

3) Remember to adjust the height as necessary during the Box Press HS variations to ensure that the presses are sufficiently challenging.

4) If you cannot press to HS, then press to HeS.

5) If you are strong enough, replace the Box Press HS variations with Press HS from an L-sit on parallets or PBs.

6) If you exceptionally strong, perform the Press HS variations on the XR.

7) Rest 3-5 minutes after completing all of the Press HS work and then begin the XR Strap HS.

8 ) Each XR Strap HS cycle consists of 30 work followed by 45 seconds of rest. Go directly from one cycle to the next with no additional rest.

9) DO NOT come down during the 30 seconds of HS. If you do come down, that cycle does not count towards your total of 12 cycles.

10) To perform XR Strap HS drop your Xtreme Rings down to 6â€-8†from the ground. Now kick up into a handstand widely straddling your legs so that they wrap around the straps. Straighten and lock your arms as much as possible and begin timing your HS.

11) The XR Strap HS can be made much more physically demanding by placing your feet along the inside of the straps rather than wrapping your legs around the straps. The intensity can be further increased by ensuring that your elbows are completely locked and straight.

12) If XR Strap HSs are currently too demanding, perform Wall HS instead; although every effort should be made to complete the workout with XR Strap HS.

Asclepius

Coach, are there any videos floating around of the box press hs moves? I'm having a hard time visualizing them.

Freeflyer
Asclepius said:
Coach, are there any videos floating around of the box press hs moves? I'm having a hard time visualizing them.

I seem to put this video up every HS day, lol.

Zfpf6SoBMO8

To do a box press HS your feet start elevated on a "box" high enough that you can perform the movement without momentum. You can do these leaning up against the wall as well, which may be necessary if you cannot hold a freestanding HS (like myself).

j4b

4x15 sec tuck planche statics

1x10 cast wall walks

1x5 RLL (pike, feet about 1.5ft off ground, hands about 16in out)

1x10 RLL (straddle - feet alllllmost to ground, hands about 16in out)

12 cycles XR strap HS (feet on inside, rings turned out)

2x10 wrist pushups (feet elevated 4 ft)

this workout tickled, as always ^^

Ryan Hutchins

I don't understand the box press HS. Why not just do press HS? Is there a reason for the box that I'm not seeing? Box press HS is easy while Lsit press HS is quite harder. I'll just do press HS while I wait for an answer

Justin Kyle

Straddle L Low- 3x20sec

Adv Tuck FL - 4x12 sec

Half Lay BL- 4x8sec

1x10 Cast Wall Walks (first 5 reps were planche walks and the remaining were regular)

1x5 Pike Press HS w/ wall (hands about 8 inches from the wall)

1x10 Straddle Press HS w/ wall (hands 6 inches away from the wall)

12 cycles of XR handstands (feet on the inside of the straps and RTO)

2x10 wrist pushups

*This was the first time I have done the XR handstand cycles with my feet on the inside of the straps. It was very difficult. Felt kind of weak in my Back Levers today for some reason. Oh well, back at it on Thursday. God bless guys

yuri marmerstein
RyanC said:
I don't understand the box press HS. Why not just do press HS? Is there a reason for the box that I'm not seeing? Box press HS is easy while Lsit press HS is quite harder. I'll just do press HS while I wait for an answer

obviously, if you don't need the box, don't use it

not everyone can press HS from the floor

the whole point is that you can customize the difficulty of the WOD to suit your strength levels

Ryan Hutchins

Thx Yuri. I'm doing it right now.

As a side note I hate/envy you for that planche you're doing. Appreciate the help.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

WU:

2 Rounds:

200m Row

12 Shoulder Dislocate

30s HS Hold on Wall

2 HeSPU Back on Wall

2 HeSPU Facing Wall

6 Pushups

5m HS Walk

Finish with 2 HS with Small Paralletes

FSP:

2 x 1 Manna (PB Low; 15s, 15s)

2 x 1 L-Sit (XR Bent; 15s, 15s)

WOD:

1 x 10 Cast Wall Walks (Still hard but unbroken)

Rest 2 mins

1 x 5 Pike Press HeS on Wall (Was harder today :()

Rest 2 mins

1 x 10 Straddle Press HeS on Wall (Was harder today :()

Rest 5 mins

12 Cycles of XR Strap HS (Black Elastic Assistance; Fell once so did 13 cycles; 30s on, 45s off)

Finish with 2 x 10 Wrist Pushups on Knees. Stretching.

Traceur

Coach, after reading the thread about the effectiveness of WOD I have decided to try them but I had some problems with this workout.

Today was my first attempt at completing a WOD, and I couldn't get through it all in one go. This is not what concerns me though. What concerns me is that when I was attempting the 12 cycles of HS (against a wall because I cannot do them on rings yet), my right hand began to feel numb around the 8th cycle. Is this expected and something that will probably go away with more training?

It may also be worth noting that I only got to 5 cycles before failing on the 6th. And then took a short break, got to 8 cycles, and then failed again on the 9th. Took another break and completed the last 4 cycles to finish that section of the workout.

Kenneth Manning

Today's WOD:

Cast wall walks 5,5,5

Wall box pike press HS (hands about 15" from wall, box height so that legs are parallel to ground) 15 singles with 30 sec rest between each

straddle press HeS (head on 6" block) x 8,6

12 cycles wall HS

2x10 wrist pushups on knees

John Sapinoso
yuri said:
RyanC said:
I don't understand the box press HS. Why not just do press HS? Is there a reason for the box that I'm not seeing? Box press HS is easy while Lsit press HS is quite harder. I'll just do press HS while I wait for an answer

obviously, if you don't need the box, don't use it

not everyone can press HS from the floor

the whole point is that you can customize the difficulty of the WOD to suit your strength levels

Also box press can help you correct any incorrect shoulder angles. I had been able to do a press from the floor for many years but upon closer scrutiny I realized my shoulder angle is incorrect. I've been using box presses as a corrective aid, you may or may not have the same issue.

yuri marmerstein

my stalder presses are getting a lot stronger but damn I suck at pike presses. Need to work on my compression

ts00nami said:
yuri said:
RyanC said:
I don't understand the box press HS. Why not just do press HS? Is there a reason for the box that I'm not seeing? Box press HS is easy while Lsit press HS is quite harder. I'll just do press HS while I wait for an answer

obviously, if you don't need the box, don't use it

not everyone can press HS from the floor

the whole point is that you can customize the difficulty of the WOD to suit your strength levels

Also box press can help you correct any incorrect shoulder angles. I had been able to do a press from the floor for many years but upon closer scrutiny I realized my shoulder angle is incorrect. I've been using box presses as a corrective aid, you may or may not have the same issue.

you are absolutely correct. I too have been doing presses for a while with too much shoulder lean, and I've been able to get away with it because of my strength

I've been working a lot harder recently to increase my active flexibility and get my presses more proper

RyanC said:
Thx Yuri. I'm doing it right now.

As a side note I hate/envy you for that planche you're doing. Appreciate the help.

haha thanks

Ryan Hutchins

So when you say shoulder angle you are referring to the perfect 180 angle inbetween the arms and body before bringing the legs together?

yuri marmerstein
RyanC said:
So when you say shoulder angle you are referring to the perfect 180 angle inbetween the arms and body before bringing the legs together?

the more you initiate the press from the hips and back, the less you have to planche the shoulders, thus making the press take less effort

it's a lot easier to do this with slow negative presses

Joshua Naterman

Great WOD! This was the first one I've done in about 2 weeks, at least in its entirety.

4,3,2,1 Cast Wall Walks with slow false grip pull ups between each set, 60s or less between CWW sets.

5 Pike Press HeS, 6-7" head elevation. This is hard but now possible for me!

2x5 Straddle Press HeS, same elevation. These were a challenge but I did them well! I am slowly learning the pressing motion!

10 cycles on the XR HS. I did 20s HS with a 10s negative down through the shoulder stand. I had to take an extra minute rest several times, usually every 3rd set. VERY hard, but MAN did it feel good!

Neal Winkler

Head elevation didn't work for me.

Ryan Hutchins

I normally planche up. My flexibility is an issue. So I've always muscled up my HS. I try to lift my hips and leave my legs down but it just doesn't happen. One more thing to work on.

Tyler Schmitz

WOD done on Thurs

Warm Up:

4x10 s Half Lay FL

4x10 s HMSH

4x10 s Low Straddle L

4x10 s L-Sit Advanced

1x10 Cast Wall Walks

rest 2 min

1x5 Straddle Wall Press HS

rest 2 min

1x5 Pike Wall Press HS with head against wall + 1x5 Straddle Wall Press HS with head against wall

rest 5 min

12 cycles XR Strap HS (30 sec work and 45 sec rest)

Finished with 2 x 10 wrist pushups