Basic Gymnastic Progressions

Started by Patrick Angelo Sardilli, December 5, 2010 · 6 Replies · 4,423 Views

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

I made this video for CrossFit St-Hubert where I am to do my gymnastic stuff.

It may help some of you to visualize the basic movements.

http://vimeo.com/17375792

Feedback is welcome from anyone including coach; if anything is done wrong. Now the strictness is far less than we do on our WODs but you get the idea.

Blairbob

Nice video.

I wouldn't even bother with kipping muscle-ups till after working the strict muscle-up. At least in a band or with the feet still in the floor. I really like muscle-ups from a row or standing incline row.

Jumping MU just like kipping MU...however, in a CF box I would understand why they go over them. Still, don't care for them.

Before ring dip, I'd like to see a supported ring supported with just the toes on the floor/box. You can adjust the pressure on the elbows and sternum by how much weight is on the toes. Also, a band could work.

It's probably difficult to go over Russian Dips in a CF gym because more than likely they will lack anything to do them on.

Another good drill for MU transition is bottom of dip, lower to false grip bent arm hold, bounce/move back into bottom of dip. The bounce is from lowering, stretching and bouncing back to it.

I like PB shrugs early on before dips, even assisted. As well I like horizontal body rows somewhere in the pullup progression, possibly on rings set low off a set of bars.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli
Blairbob said:
Nice video.

I wouldn't even bother with kipping muscle-ups till after working the strict muscle-up. At least in a band or with the feet still in the floor. I really like muscle-ups from a row or standing incline row.

Jumping MU just like kipping MU...however, in a CF box I would understand why they go over them. Still, don't care for them.

Before ring dip, I'd like to see a supported ring supported with just the toes on the floor/box. You can adjust the pressure on the elbows and sternum by how much weight is on the toes. Also, a band could work.

It's probably difficult to go over Russian Dips in a CF gym because more than likely they will lack anything to do them on.

Another good drill for MU transition is bottom of dip, lower to false grip bent arm hold, bounce/move back into bottom of dip. The bounce is from lowering, stretching and bouncing back to it.

I like PB shrugs early on before dips, even assisted. As well I like horizontal body rows somewhere in the pullup progression, possibly on rings set low off a set of bars.

Thanks Blairbob I was going to do the russian dips but the dip station we have is dangerous as its not parallel bars the bars go outwards so I'm not going to put it if its dangrous... maybe one day we'll get PB Bars. I also forgot to turn out on some movements. Although I stress the turnout in normal WODs involving these movements at the gym, because it tells me that they are at full extension (Full ROM) when preforming the movement.

Thanks for the other ideas. Really appreciated.

Blairbob

Yeah, I wouldn't do russian dips with those dip stations where the bars go from narrow to wide. I'm sure it's possible, but ehh.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli
Blairbob said:
Yeah, I wouldn't do russian dips with those dip stations where the bars go from narrow to wide. I'm sure it's possible, but ehh.

I do them.. because I can control my movement but others. I do no even teach or permit...

I know its gay... oh well.

Quick Start Test Smith

Make sure you breath during the exercises! It's important! :D

Patrick Angelo Sardilli
Patrick Smith said:
Make sure you breath during the exercises! It's important! :D

:mrgreen: