Dips without Parallel bars

Started by ebenezer, December 2, 2010 · 16 Replies · 6,370 Views

ebenezer

Hello Everyone,

I have a pair of rings and a stall bar in my home gym. I dont have the money nor the space for parallel bars. My triceps are relatively weak. How do I progress as I cannot do any variation on the parallel bars, and I am not strong enough to do a perfect dip?

Any help is appreciated.

Ebenezer

Neal Winkler

A few ideas:

Jump up and lower slowly.

Jump as little as possible and push the rest of the way with your arms.

Lower the rings so your feet are on the ground during the whole movement, put as little weight on your feet as you need to get through the reps.

Cole Dano

How is your push up form?

ebenezer

Thanks for the input triangle.

Mr Brady, As for my pushup form, I am able to a clean set of 5 with my hands closer to my lowest rib bone. Is that input enough?

Thanks for the effort.

Ebenezer

Razz

Work up your ring pushups to 20 reps and support holds to 30s with rings turned out along with triangles suggestions, that should get you ring dips quick enough :)

ebenezer

Thanks for the input Razz.

Cole Dano

Happy to play straight man for you Razz!

Razz

I'm not sure what you mean mr. Brady?

Blairbob

You can use chairs or barstools to do dips on. The corner of a kitchen counter works well too.

Cole Dano
Razz said:
I'm not sure what you mean mr. Brady?

Oh i guess that's not fair, its an old joke. In comedy teams there was always a straight man, who set up the joke and then the funny guy would deliver the punchline, aka the joke. In this case the good advice...

Razz

Aha, I thought it was something like that :P Well yeah, thanks for making giving advice easy for me ;)

ebenezer

Thanks for the input Blairbob.

Ebenezer

Freeflyer

If you are really in a pinch, you could get two people of similar height and do dips on their shoulders. It works best when you see them walking together and you run up from behind and jump up into a support on their shoulders. At that point you are already there so they may as well let you dip right?

Alvaro

Then 3 sets of 10 at surprise shoulder support? :D

Aaron Griffin
omegant said:
Then 3 sets of 10 at surprise shoulder support? :D

Finish with a surprise shoulder handstand.

Philip Chubb

That is a great idea Nick! The surprise factor will add an element of instability. Just like on gymnastic rings.

ASForum

Lol!.. Might as well give them as Noogie as well :P

PS: How did you get /buy / make stall bars?