Hello! Elbows & General Rehab

Started by Richard Hamilton, December 1, 2010 · 3 Replies · 2,464 Views

Richard Hamilton

Well, I've been lurking for a couple of months and have finally decided to post. Firstly, thanks Coach for providing all this information, its given me a new direction in my life and I am looking forward to achieving some of the harder FSP's in the future! The book is the best thing I've bought in a long time!

I have access to a well equipped gym on Tues, Wed and Thurs I've been training the following for about 6 or 7 weeks now (all 3x3)

FBE:

Pushups XR Bulgarian

HeSPU Negatives

PB Dips

Pull Ups

Rows XR Bulgarian

Chin ups - inverted

FSP:

L-sit low

L-sit tucks

FL tucks

While they arn't a FSP I've also been working

German hangs

XR supports

Handstands both against a wall and on the floor

I'd like to add in MU negatives and Pullovers when I can train 4 days a week. I had a go at doing a Pullover but couldn't get my knees up and over the bar. Is this due to tight hamstrings and glutes?

I've certainly seen improvement in my lateral epicondyle since starting all this but the medial side still seems to persist with discomfort. I was thinking of repeating this cycle till the improvement occurs or perhaps I could just work up to 5x5 on the FBE? Would pulling or pushing help the medial epicondyle more? Or both?

My L-sit won't be going any further till I sort out my ridiculously tight hamstrings I don't think. I tried to lift my legs up more last week but just found that my hips moved forward like in the Advanced L.

I have poor adduction in my right hip (probably from an old climbing accident) and am following Ido's Squat clinic at present and doing lunges daily so hopefully that will improve.

On a more positive note, my shoulders are good! I'm following Ido's Basic shoulder ROM and stabilisation so hopefully they'll stay that way. :D

I've certainly seen significant strength gains since starting this and its all too tempting to move on to something harder. I want to try and get these issues out of the way now so that future development isn't hindered though. Its quite an exercise in self control!

Slizzardman, you've had problems with you're elbows right? Do you follow a daily programme to rehab them other than the WOD? Anyone else with hip or elbow problems?

I can't believe I let it get this bad, and I'm only 30! It can only improve I guess!

I think I've rambled enough now, I'm off to walk the dog :D

Rich.

Blairbob

Elbow warmup can be german hang and support holds. You can also look for golf and tennis elbow preventative exercises. That is a step in the right direction for the GB elbow series.

Cole Dano

Google is very helpful for tennis elbow, there is quite a lot of good advice available. Tennis elbow is a very generic term that can be caused by almost anything, including tennis, if its the other side (medial) of the elbow then its Golfer's elbow, but the treatment is pretty much the same, an so it is that most elbow related issues respond to the same treatment.

I have a catching elbow issue and found it to respond well to high rep (100 reps) of band curls and tricep extensions. Oddly enough, i've begun some bench pressing and found it to have helped that issue as well. Of course i'm not using ridiculous weights, but even at 3x5 reps it has helped. Just goes to show....

Coach teaches some elbow prehab as well which will be brought out in the upcoming book Liquid Steel™.

Richard Hamilton

I've had a good trawl through Google for info on all of this and there is SO much out there that its hard to decide what will work best for me. Its good to hear from others how they deal with their issues though as it helps put things into perspective.

Blairbob: Thanks for the info on German hangs and XR supports, I'll add these in after the initial warm up we do at the adult gymnastics classes rather than haphazardly putting them into my workout.

Mr Brady: Thanks for mentioning the band curls and tricep extensions, I think this may help. You mention that you have an elbow 'catching' issue and this sounds exactly like what is going on with my elbows. They are generally ok but from time to time something just catches. Plastering for the last 5yrs hasn't helped as its so repetitive and the ROM is limited and as a consequence my right arm and shoulder is way stronger than my left, hence why I thought repeating my current cycle would be a good idea. I'm a great believer in doing things by feel so I'll keep listening to my body and see if I can make some gains with regard to the elbows.

I've decided to leave the plastering trade as it wasn't doing my health any good so I'm just starting out on my journey and hopefully I'll be going back to university to study physiotherapy in a couple of years which I'm really looking forward to. All I want to do is sort myself out and help other people out wherever possible!