SI locking

Started by acegerter, November 30, 2010 · 6 Replies · 2,943 Views

acegerter

My SI joint has been locking up pretty bad recently and I've exhausted my knowledge of what to do for it. My athletic trainer said pretty much everything connected to it is spasmed/frozen. The pain runs from my low back to upper hamstring in both flexion and extension. About 6 years ago I stress fractured L3-L4 and its hurting in a similar spot.

everyday I do 30sec-3min holds (each) of...

pidgeon

half lotus (both sides)

all 3 splits

pike

pancake

and various others I can't think of right now >_<

Ice or ice bath everyday.

Took last week off for xgiving and it feels just as bad, if not worse.

I'm a bit hesitant to take anti-inflammatories because I respond very well to them, which leads to more activity and later more pain.

Any advice would be great!

Coach Sommer

My recommendation is for you to drastically reduce the both the volume and frequency of vigorous stretching that you are performing for the lower back.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Nicholas Herreros

I found out about 10 yrs. ago that i have a stress fracture at my L5 location. One thing to do is to make sure you do some exercises to strengthen your core or specifically exercises to strengthen your lower back muscles. I've tried many different exercises and stretches and have only had great success with one exercise in particular. Kettlebell swings. If done properly it targets the lower back muscles, alot. I no longer focus my workouts around Kettlebells ever since i got into practicing gymnastics from this site. But, i do pick up the Kettlebell very often and swing it to relieve or even prevent the pain from ever happening

acegerter

Thanks coach will do.

I usually do a good bit of lower back strength. haven't done kettle bell swings, i'll incorporate them once i can comfortably move my back :-)

jl5555

Have you tried MFR? I would think rolling would be nice for this...

As to your range of stretches, my personal opinion on split leg stretches is that a little goes a long way. As a pose I have little respect for pidgeon. It's overused and underperformed in most instances. For guys I think you get as much impact doing hurdle stretches, low lunge and kneeling half split...

Cole Dano

The Coach's advice is spot on. Stretching, especially, if not done correctly can cause these problems.

The pigeon is a particular sore spot for me. In this case if the hip flexibility isn't there, as it often isn't, it can put a torsional stress on the SI.

I'll try to start some sort of lumbar/SI video series next week!

acegerter

So my frozen SI turned into a facet fracture after a short PB dismount :-\

6 weeks of no working out... what will i do with myself!