Hey, I've been reading a lot of posts all over the place about nutrition and I want to make sure I'm getting this right. I'm 19, 5'11, and 161 LBS. I'm not trying to lose weight, just gain strength, not necessarily size, but if it happens it happens. I've been eating around 22-2500 calories a day in these foods: Meats (tuna, beef, chicken), nuts (almonds, cashews), 12 grain breads (once a day, if that), eggs (usually 5, 3 whites 2 wholes), protein shake (once after workout), vegetables (made in stir fry with beef), fruits, yogurt (small 4 oz low fat containers). Usually I make up my daily food with those items (not all of course, switching things around). Odd time putting small portions of junk food in there because it's nearly impossible to resist sometimes lol. So my questions would be, is 22-2500 a good amount to be eating for strength gains? Also would it be a good idea to have 1 more protein shake each day or is just one good enough? Any other advice off topic of the questions is appreciated as well. Thanks.
Advice?
Started by Bryce Warren, November 29, 2010 · 10 Replies · 3,627 Views
1: I'd take out the grain/bread
2: Eat whole eggs, not only the whites
3: I'm 5,7-5,8 about 150lbs and 19 years old. I eat 3500 kcal a day and am not gaining weight. I may be more active than you, so this is just to show that noone but you can decide if your amount of calories is enough for you.
Yea I figured someone would tell me to take out the bread. You got any advice on the active hip flexibility? I'm really needing some help on that one right now.
Why the aversion to fat? Egg whites and lowfat yogurt (which is almost always loaded with sugar instead)?
on 2500kcal/day I would shrivel up and die...
More non-starchy veggies never hurts. I think salmon is a better fish than tuna in most respects.
I've just seen in many different forums to take out egg whites, but I've been reading different posts lately that say to eat the whole egg, so that's why I'm asking, there's so many different views on everything about nutrition around. The lowfat yogurt isn't necessarily my choice lol it's just what got brought home. Anyways again this is why I'm asking, too many different views so I thought I'd just get some views on the specific things I eat to see if it clears things up at all.
I would eat the whole egg. Most of the nutrients are in the yolk, but there is some good protein in the whites. Just cook the whites at least. Yolk can be raw or runny if you prefer.
You can eat the whole egg.
You most likely won't get any bigger on that calorie intake, but as long as you aren't losing weight it's probably sufficient for strength gains. There will come a point, however, if you want to keep making strength gains you will have to gain muscle.
I have a different opinion on grains, I think people are jumping the gun on saying they are unhealthy, especially if you only eat it once per day.
I don't see any fruit in your diet, fruits got lots of good stuff in it.
Try your best to eat some veggies every meal.
Yea that's what I've been afraid of, just not gaining enough muscle to keep seeing noticeable strength gains. By the way there are fruits in the list guess you missed that one lol. I think a big miss for me is the veges, does steaming them make a huge different or is raw better?
Ah, I glanced over where you said fruit.
Steamed is fine. Make a salad and eat out of it for a few days. That's another good way to increase veggies consumption.
As simple as that is I never actually thought of salads haha. Thanks for that one.
Oh right forgot one thing, should I be drinking milk? (If so what % is best)