Standing Full Help

Started by jamesters, November 26, 2010 · 6 Replies · 1,945 Views

jamesters

y2nqEEwemUM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2nqEEwemUM

I used to be able to do this on grass when I was 19, then I took 2 years off acrobatics. Now I've been back into acrobatics for 2 years but can't do this anymore. I'm much stronger and more flexible in most ways, but this skill I seem to have more trouble with than before. I can notice from this clip I could probably squeeze my arms in tighter to help rotate faster, but I'm wondering what else might the problem be.

Just to clarify, this is the old school standing full technique I'm going for, not the new school Russian technique.

Sternford

Wow, most people I see doing standing fulls don't actually wait until they are in the air to start twisting. That is more impressive.

yuri marmerstein

one thing I noticed is your set is off. your head is going back before your arms come up, taking away from potential height

you're waiting a really long time to twist, which is awesome, but will make it harder to land on ground

if you tuck more you should be able to land easier though

Dillon Zrike

As Yuri stated you are not jumping straight up. You must reach your arms straight up above your head in order to get height. I think once you get a little extra height you will have it. Nice work!

Mats Trane

As above and dont pull your head back so much.

You could always try to get a hold of what he is wearing in the video :)

6fShsctnKl4

Troy Rodriguez

What is that strap called. This could really help the darn cheerleader girls learn to set right instead of whipping their heads back. I have tried a ton of drills with them and nothing seems to help. I have toyed with this idea before. Actually seeing one being used makes me think i'm going in the right direction. Sorry to hijack :?

Blairbob

Most cheer girls aren't strong enough to perform a technically correct standing back. They will have to use the arch(whip) and tuck technique to get that stretch reflex to assist them. The issue will be when they want to learn connected layouts and twisting.