Pistol + ? = 1.5BW squat

Started by Longshanks, November 22, 2010 · 7 Replies · 12,100 Views

Longshanks

I'm curious about the correlation of the two because I don't have access to a squat rack but would like to know what the weighted pistol equivalent would be to a 1.5BW ATG squat? I realise the pistols wouldn't incorporate the same back strength and a there would be a lot of variation in the calculation due to height/length of levers of the body. I just want to know about relative leg strength. My guessing is that if one leg can do a controlled pistol at a BW of 100kg then two could lift double that. So including your body weight that should be a back squat of 100kg. So if you could do a pistol + 0.25BW (25kg or 12.5kg in each hand) then both legs should be able to do double this? (BW+50kg). I.e. a 1.5BW ATG squat.

Any thoughts on this? I'm sure I've seen a few forum members who are even close to double BW squat like Razz and Ortprod. What are your weighted pistols like in relation to this?

Zac Rhyne

Certain.

Longshanks

Interesting reply rhyneza, thanks for your feedback. Guess my calculation must be a bit off or you would be doing a pistol with 92lb. Not that I'm criticizing by the way, I'm relay jealous of your squat, that's like 2.2BW isn't it? Bloody awsum! How long have been squatting?

I just wanted to work out what a reasonable goal would be for weighted pistols as %BW?

Blairbob

I am 5'+ tall and weigh around 165. I don't have very long legs obviously. I should probably cut down to about 155 by next spring.

I BS 350 High Bar style. I've played with Low bar but haven't tested it for a 3r or 1r. I FS around 250

My best weighted SLS was 90ish lbs for 1-2r. 2 on my good side, 1 on my bad side. This was done in a front rack. I'm not sure if I could do more holding them in my hands, but eventually that could be a limitation in SLS progress.

Zac Rhyne

Taken.

Longshanks

Sorry rhyneza but I couldn't quite understand your calculation, I got a negative number when I tried it even with an imaginary BS of 1.5BW (333lbs for me, I weight 222lbs). I get the impression that a double BW Back squat seems to equate to a pistol + approx 40%. I suppose that makes sense that its a bit less than 50% since you aren't lifting all of you anatomy during the pistol or squat (from the knees down). I think whatever percentage body-weight the knees and feet are should somehow be subtracted from the calculation somewhere but I'm full of cold at the mo and my heads not working at all today.

I seems pistol +50% BW is a fairly good long term goal to aim for. I only started the single negatives about 5 months ago and am only just starting to add 10lbs as a counterbalance for a few negatives this month. I do pistols every strength workout though and have made modest but consistent progress. 5 years seems like a reasonable time frame to reach a respectable squat, I think that would be about an extra 20lbs a year for me, or 3.3lb per SSC. That doesn't seem quite so impossible when I put it like that.

I think this post alone refute claims that gymnastic conditioning is upper body dominant. I used to think 1.5BW squat was awesomely rare and 2*BW just a myth reserved exclusively for roid users.

Zac Rhyne

Indicate.

Blairbob

Well, one of the reasons it simply won't be the same is there a big difference when you SLS+100lbs (I've seen video up to 115) and you hold 3-400lbs on your back.