Open shoulders trainer

Started by Erich Lin, November 18, 2010 · 9 Replies · 4,347 Views

Erich Lin

I just ordered this:

http://www.tumbltrak.com/display.produc ... milyID=104

It's to keep your shoulders open during handstands etc. My shoulder flexibility is pretty poor, and I've been working on it, but would this be useful during practicing wall handstands (belly touching wall) . Then instead of focusing on hollow body and shoulders, we would concentrate on hollow body and muscle memory would get our shoulders into the right position.

Thoughts?

Neal Winkler

I'm not for certain, but it looks like it would only be good if your problem is solely at the gleno-humeral joint. Poor shoulder flexibility is also causes by poor thoracic mobility. If this device does not improve thoracic mobility, and you have poor thoracic mobility, then I can see it leading to injury.

Erich Lin

maybe i don't understand this correctly , but aren't you supposed to keep your back hollow in a handstand. wouldn't that not stretch the thorasic spine?

Neal Winkler

Stretching (flexion) of the thoracic is not what limits ROM at the gleno-humeral, poor extension of the thoracic spine does.

Ryan Libke

American gymnast sells something like this. They have a video showing the use of it; it is used more during tumbling to develop good form. That is, keeping the shoulder open while doing a cartwheel or other move. I did not get the impression that it was being used to develop flexibility directly, or while in a static position.

Erich Lin

how do i determine if I have enough thorasic mobility already?

Blairbob

post a picture of your bridge.

I have 5 of the OST I bought at Congress. They are interesting but you can build a similar device with a strap and some foam.

[urlhttp]

I'm still satisfied with them but I haven't tried front tumbling with them yet because falling with them is something I was cautious about with the kids. I use them for back tumbling and cartwheels so far.

However, there is some give. They block the ability to shoulder flex somewhat but it does give feedback if you do so.

I need to try the straps and foam to see if it blocks that ability.

Graham Smith

I've got such dreadful upper thoracic mobility I think I'd be liable to break my neck with a contraption like that. I think I'll just stick to good old fashioned diamond presses and foam rolling.

Blairbob

build one using the straps and electrical foam if you are worrying about causing the neck to flex too much

Graham Smith

Actually that looks pretty good with the strap and foam. I'm going to give it a go.