How to drink coconut milk?

Started by Svend, November 11, 2010 · 9 Replies · 4,670 Views

Svend

Okay, so this might be a stupid question. :( I've been thinking of adding coconut milk to my PWO-shake to add some fat. Now, the coconut milk I find is not very liquid at all and therefore quite hard to drink. :?

Do I add water or am I looking at the wrong product?

Neal Winkler

Yeah, if it's too thick for you add water.

Razz

Sometimes the 'milk' and the 'fat' is seperated in the can and you just need to get it all out and shake it well... I don't find I have to add water as most brands already mix 60% water with 40% coconut milk

In 'Fakta' they have these 140ml coconut milk cans for like 4kr.

Svend

Thanks guys! Actually it seemed I just had to stir a lot. Whenever I've been using it for cooking I figured it just became liquid when heated - I didn't realize that there was actually a bunch of "milk" in the can too :)

Btw Razz, I actually just bought a bunch of small 165 ml cans with 62% coconut blend and 38% water for 3 kr in Netto, if that's of any interest for you.

John Sapinoso

in the Philippines coconuts (buko) are 15 pesos per coconut or around 30 cents US or 1.8 kroner, I love this stuff. you can bargain it down to 12 for 100 too [=

AlexX

Not sure if this is always the case but I found that the organic kind very rarely gets fully solid and needs anything more than just a little pre-shake.

Razz

Daymn nice Tsoonami!! Here I can buy coconuts for 4kr but I doubt they're even near as good.

Alexx the organic stuff sometimes has some kind of organic 'anti-solidifier' in it, maybe thats why :P

svend: I'll have to check it out

rubadub
Svend said:
I've been thinking of adding coconut milk to my PWO-shake to add some fat.
You could just use coconut flour, I use it in cooking. Dessicated coconut would work but would be sort of gritty.
Rikke Olsen

Get a hand held blencer or heat it slightly (but please, don't put metallics in a microwave...)

Other than that, I say "ice cream", hands down. (Even PWO - just prepare it before hand :lol:)

Mix the coconut milk with a pinch of salt (makes it less bland) and add vanilla, chocolate chips, nuts, cinnamon, mint - pretty much whatever. There's tons of recipes outthere (on the web, lol).

I find it palatable, even without freezing, with just pinch of salt, vanilla and stevia/other sweetener. Chocolate is NEVER bad, though :D

Oh, btw! It's possible to make your own coconut milk from shredded, dried coconut. http://www.tropicaltraditions.com have a recipe. A 1:2 ratio of coconut:HOT water, blend 2-3 minutes on high speed, strain in cheese cloth or something simiar.

As I don't have a blender (but one on its way!) I don't know how well it works (yet) but I'll report on it.

Quick Start Test Smith

I find it more and more palatable if I shake it up really good, add a little water (something like a 2:5 water:cocnut milk ratio), and gulp it down.

ts00nami said:
in the Philippines coconuts (buko) are 15 pesos per coconut or around 30 cents US or 1.8 kroner, I love this stuff. you can bargain it down to 12 for 100 too [=

Wow! Nice!