proper breathing

Started by Kyle Courville, November 10, 2010 · 2 Replies · 3,824 Views

Kyle Courville

Hi, I know that proper breathing has many benefits. It is one of those simple things that are easy to overlook in everyday life just like eating and posture. I would like to make sure I am going about things corectly and get some critique. It appears that the proper way to breathe, after browsing and reading a Tooth from the Tiger's Mouth, is as illustrated in the link. http://www.livestrong.com/article/96405 ... y-breathe/

I have also been doing a little breathing exercise, but I forgot where I learned it from. I do it every morning. The way I do it is as follows. I inhale for 4 seconds, hold for 4 seconds, exhale for 4 seconds, and then hold for 4 seconds. By hold I mean neither breathe in nor out. I perform the routine for a minute rest a minute; I do about three sets.

I appreciate all and any help, advice, or critique. My goal is to build strong lungs, mine are weak, and to have better breathing habits in general.

Tarun Suri

Breathing is far more expansive and important that can begin to imagine.

Start with this link: http://boddickerperformance.com/?p=907

Try those videos, especially the prayer position. Feel your ribs expand from the back and you'll know you're doing it right. Apparently, that's how it should feel like standing/walking/etc. It takes a lot of dedication to perfect breathing as weird as it sounds.

My parents do lots of breathing exercises they learned from The Art of Living. One of them is a violent exhale from the nose for an extended period of time. I swear, I'm in the basement or in my room upstairs, and the house vibrates every time they exhale. Much to learn before your master your own breath!

Kyle Courville

Thanks for the help RandomHavoc. That is a nice link; I will try those exercises before I go to bed for a couple of weeks.