bodyweight seminar

Started by Nic Scheelings, November 10, 2010 · 6 Replies · 2,636 Views

Nic Scheelings

I've been asked by my gym (not gymnastics gym) to run a couple of seminars on the type of training that I do as more and more people at my gym are attempting things like muscle ups, basic planche progressions, handstands, L-sits and levers.

I've been working on what I want to do in the seminars and how I want them to go and so much of the information I'm putting out there comes from Coach Sommer and Gymnastic bodies (plus my personal experience). As a result I was going to credit Coach Sommer and Gymnastic bodies for much of the information and inspiration If Coach thinks its OK. I don't want to put it out there as if i came up with all this stuff and want to give credit where its due.

I don't get paid anymore than normal work rates for doing it either and it'll prob be free for the members so I'm not profiting off Coach's work or anything.

Cheers, just want to make sure Coach is cool with this.

Gavin Strelitz

Pending coaches approval of this I'd be pretty interested in coming to see this.

Any idea of rough dates and/or content?

Nic Scheelings

Rough Ides of dates, Would be like 27th of Nov, and prob 30th of Nov not sure yet, still in the pipeline.

I was going to focus on Pressing (such as planche, HS ect..) one day and pulling (Muscle ups, levers ect..) the other day.

However to go u would have to be in melb and as I'm running it through my Gym a member there as well.

I've attached a sample flyer so u guys can have a look.

jl5555

Nice idea, I wish a trainer at my gym would adopt some of the GB progressions.

I have to imagine that the average gym rat 21-35 year old will be completely lost after dips and pullups. I think you'll basically be putting on a show after that. (having seen your videos and pics it will be a great show!) I suppose you do want to motivate folk a little, too, to try out GB type exercises.

I am certainly nowhere near your level but sometimes at the gym I'll see someone well-trained who is just blasting through an exercise and could obviously benefit from a more advanced move or progression. I ask if they'd mind if I gave them a suggestion for a bit more of a challenge and they always say yes. The other day I saw a guy easily pumping out 20 pullups and I asked him if he ever tried different pullup variations. He said no so I suggested that maybe he should switch it up a bit by doing wide grip, chin up, etc. and then also adding weight. I also asked if he ever did muscle-ups to which he replied that he didn't really know what they were. So I showed him on the assisted dip/pullup machine. He gave it a try and was clearly shocked at the difficult transition from pullup to dip. I think that is the value of GB to newcomers is to show them how to take the exercises they do currently and scale them up a bit to provide more challenge and better results.

I wouldn't skip any of the introductory stretching exercises either. The wrist routine and Ido's shoulder prep both have excellent value.

nb: I have always thought of the front and back levers as pushing exercises.

Blairbob

Push/pull, it's a grey area.

Nic Scheelings

Yeah i'd consider front lever a pull and back lever more of a push but i think it just kind of works better to do them together, eg. u teach skin the cat first which incorporates bits of both.

I just set it up this way cuz it kind of simplifies it.

Blairbob

Yep, because if they can't do a single skin the cat, they don't really have any hope of doing even a tuck lever forwards or backwards.

When I work some front lever progressions, I can feel it in my upper chest and lats when I work it, especially if it's when I'm using a single rail instead of rings.

Doing wide arm single rail levers, just inverted feels a bit like victorian or malt in a way. Of course, it's vertical not horizontal. :mrgreen: