This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 101109

Started by Coach Sommer, November 9, 2010 · 11 Replies · 2,057 Views

Coach Sommer

FwnbE7hHsEU

Complete the following:

3 sets of: Basic Ring Strength 3

5x15 seconds FL

5x15 seconds XR Strap HS

5x15 seconds BL

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions.

notes:

1) As much as possible, the ring strength series should be performed as a single set, uninterrupted by stops or rests.

2) Add additional MU and XR Shoulder-stand Presses as necessary to make the series challenging for your current strength level.

3) Be sure to select the most challenging MU variation that you can perform virtuously. Strive to perform the MUs with an emphasis on strength; keeping the kipping minimized or preferably eliminated all together. Be especially conscientious in locking your arms and turning out the rings at the top of each repetition.

4) Rest 3-5 minutes between ring strength sets.

5) Complete all 3 sets of the ring strength series prior to beginning the static hold position sets.

6) Perform the static hold sets as a single giant set; perform a set of FL and then move immediately to the XR Strap HS and then move immediately to the BL.

7) A short rest (30-60 sec) is allowed during the static hold positions work only after a single giant set has been completed.

kevinrohrbach

WU

General joint mobility

Ido Scapular Mobility

FSP

2x30s:

(Arch hold + Hollow hold)

(Planche Lean + Reverse Push up)

L-sit low

WOD

3x Basic Ring strength 1 — starting with MU seated and doing FL & BL with a flat tuck

5 rounds:

Front lever - flat tuck

Wall Handstand

Back Lever - flat tuck

2x10 "floor extensions"

2 rounds: (90s plank up & down + 45s side plank up & down left/right)

6x15s XR support

Ido's shoulder ROM and stability routine

stretching

Comments:

  • [*:19g8bc6m]Downgraded to Ring Strength 1 because I have no chance at the 3rd - this is the correct way to scale, right?
    [*:19g8bc6m]Still nowhere nere doing XR handstands, so did some against a wall
    [*:19g8bc6m]Continued working on turning my hands out i.e. palms facing down in the BLs. The sensation is still somewhere between pain and a good stretch—I'll continue to take it easy.
    [*:19g8bc6m]Did "floor" extensions because I can't do wall extensions with correct form

Tom Hiltbrunn

should i do my FSP's as well? I do planche, l sit, back lever, front lever, and handstand work for my fsp's but there are a lot of static holds already in the WOD

Eddie Stelling

Definitely still hit your planche and l-sit as usual. As for the BL, FL, and HS work in your FSP, I would scale it down to a lighter volume. I.E. If you normally do 4 x 15s FL, do 4 x 6s or 2 x 10s since it is heavily worked in this WOD. Or you can skip these movements altogether in the FSP if you worried about it effecting you in the WOD. I typically just scale it back but still do them to warm up.

James Portillo

In this case.. Since I tested for my max on the FL (tuck with hips slightly open), is it smart to do the FL as prescribed in this WOD still? I ask because I don't know If it would be wise during a testing week for my body. Maybe just do full tuck for this with fully closed hips? Looking forward to this workout.

j4b

3mi run

3rds:

- 3 muscle ups, l sit, forward roll, 3 shoulder stands, adv tuck back lever, straddle front lever <-- i cannot do a forward roll to MU for the life of me

5x 15 sec of adv tuck FL, ring HS (rings turned out, feet on inside of straps), adv back lever

4x 15 sec tuck planche

2x 10 wall extensions

loved the ring HS statics in this workout!!

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

WU:

500m Row

12 Shoulder Dislocate

5 HeSPU (Facing Wall)

5 SLS/Leg (Holding Low on Pole)

5 Elastic MU (Purple Elastic)

5 Ring Curls

5 Inclined Pelicans

WOD:

3 Rounds: Ring Strength Series 3

2 MU -> Front Roll -> L-Sit -> Shoulder Stand -> L-Sit -> Shoulder Stand -> Full Back Lever -> Negative Down -> Roll Back Negative Front Lever (Tuck) -> Finish -> 5 min rest

5 Rounds:

15s Front Lever (Flat Tuck)

15 XR HS (Yellow Elastic)

15s Back Lever (Flat Tuck)

rest 2 mins

Finish with 2 x 10 Wall Extensions.

My muscle really pushed today! I feel the soreness now imagine tomorrow haha. :shock:

Tyler Schmitz

Today's WOD:

Warm up:

3x10 sec Adv. Tuck Planche

3x10 sec Low PB Straddle-L

3x10 sec PB Manna

3 sets of:2 MU,forward roll to XR support hold, 2 L-Sit advanced to shoulder stands, roll back to 2 full lay BL to German Hang and pull to FL adv. tuck

Rested 5 min between sets

5 rds of:

15 sec FL adv. tuck

15 sec BL full lay

15 sec XR HS Hold

Rested 1 min between rds

Finished with 2 x 10 Wall Extensions on Floor

Triceps were shot from yesterday even though it was a pulling day!!??

Mathias Flækøy

Treemantyler:

I felt it in my tricep to. Wierd.

Kenneth Manning

Forward roll to MU still eludes me as well...

WOD:

4 sets of:

3MU -->tuck shoulderstand-->L sit-->tuck shoulderstand-->L sit-->back roll to full BL-->german hang-->pull to adv tuck FL

5 sets of:

adv tuck FL (15)-->adv tuck BL (15); drop from rings, then XR support (15)

60 sec wall HS (straight)

Wall extensions x 10, 7+3

Felt a little worn out from yesterday going into today's workout, but it went well and I felt surprisingly strong. Need to keep working on that forward roll to MU. Just not there yet. Also hope to graduate beyond tuck shoulderstands on the rings soon. I was doing L sit-->shoulderstand on my parallettes with ease, but as we all know, things are a bit different up on the rings.

Great workout!

Quick Start Test Smith

Warm Up

4 min. jog in place

Wrist routine

Ido's scapula mobilization

Ido's squat clinic

3 x Basic ring strength 1 (scaled down a lot) - w/ 2-3 min. rest between sets

A1 - 10 x 6 sec. XR FL tuck

A2 - 10 x 20 sec. Wall HS (only performed 15 secs on the last 4, with the last one being free standing - took a couple of tries)

A3 - 10 x 6 sec. XR BL tuck

1 min. rest between giant sets

2 x 10 back bridges w/ hands

Cool Down

Static stretches plus light martial arts practice

Comments

• Ring work is FUN as HECK! :D

• Also, my hand stands are getting a LOT stronger!

Finn Frank

This is my first WOD. I've been thinking I should really get into the WODs lately, especially after the praise Slizzardman has been giving them :D. I have to say it felt good! My only problem is the very limited space in my University room. But wont let that stop me :). Okay here it goes...

AobpwZB-_9U

WU:

3-4 mins jogging in place finished with 4 sprints up the stairs of the accommodation building

2 round of:

-T FL (15s)

-T BL (15s)

-L-sit (6s)

-XR support (15s)

WOD:

3 x Basic ring strength 1 (scaled down from version 3, I can do series 2 but not in the small space here :()

5 Giant sets of:

-T FL (10s)

-T BL (10s)

-Wall HS (15s)

Finished with Wrist series including First Knuckles and Wrist push ups.

About the ring strength series, should I continue with series 1 and increase intensity by increase hold times and moving onto flat tuck or straddle FSP or should I Stick with more difficult variations but not in a series? Just to reiterate, I don't have the space under my doorway pull up bar for elements like fwd roll MU so I can't really do the higher series :oops: .

Thanks everyone for all the advice and thank you Coach for the excellent WOD!