Push-ups elbow locking

Started by Brusi, June 12, 2008 · 5 Replies · 19,196 Views

Brusi

Hello :)

What's the proper way of executing a simple push-up - locking elbows at top or not ? :oops:

I know that Coach Sommer insist on locking the elbows when you're in planche but does the same apply for exercises like dips, push-ups... or I should go down as soon as my elbows are about to lock ?

Thanks for the help.

Happy training :)

JaredLLL

I've never heard anything decisivly wrong with locking out the elbows, its not like its exactly a resting position anyway. try holding yourself in a pushup position for an extended amount of time, there is still force being applied.

Also, regarding gymnastics based straight arm work, you need that strength and familiarity, so better to expose yourself to it at every turn.

kbryk

I wouldn't say it's wrong or right, but when it comes to squatting and benching a lot of weight don't lock your knees and elbows. I think just about every static movement your arms are locked, so like JaredLLL said anything you can do to get strength and become similar with that position you should do it, but do it lightly.

Gregor

If you are locking the elbows, you're resting....But on t p.bar on handstands diffrent variations of "press to handstand" is always good to lock, beacuse with that are you arms straight and in the and you can rast in the lock possition.

Coach Sommer

Yes, I recommend that you completely straighten your elbows. However, be careful to simply straighten them and not damage the elbows by "snapping" them straight. Snapping them straight tends to hyper-extend the joint and will eventually lead to an injury.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Brusi

Thanks to all for the replies.

Brusi :P