Prereq's for side lever pulls and handstand presses?

Started by Neal Winkler, November 7, 2010 · 11 Replies · 3,487 Views

Neal Winkler

On both side lever pulls and handstand presses it seems that I'm being held back, first and foremost, by shoulder/shoulder girdle strength and not obliques and low back, respectively.

Are there any prereq's that I will need before I'm able to make any progress with these exercises?

Philip Chubb

How are your handstand wall runs along with your cast wall walks. That extended strength in the shoulders really gets built with those and I found it to be a missing link in my training a while ago.

Neal Winkler

I think I can do like 45 or so shoulder taps on the runs and cast wall walks I tire out around 6 or 7 before I have to take a break.

Philip Chubb

You could try making them harder. For wall runs, try to get more into a hollow handstand position and keep most of your weight on your hands rather than off the wall. Then instead of tapping your shoulder, tap your side. Makes them much harder and dropped my time down to a minute. Cast wall walks can be done in more of a planche hand placement to make them harder. Stronger shoulders is what helped me get a 5 second side lever.

Philip Chubb

I forgot how to spell his name but Dominic (the record flag guy) reccomended wide arm pushups and pulls for side levers as well. And I'll also mention that they are much easier to do in terms of technique on stallbars. (If you don't have those, hang a ring from a pole and grip the ring normally and push against the pole. Instant stallbar for side levers). For presses, hamstring flexibility helps as well to make it less of a planche. You could also try negitives or against a wall.

Neal Winkler

Thanks, PHILIP, I'll try that stuff out. I can do wide pull ups and HeSPU no problem, so that won't help. Also, I have stall bars.

Alexander Moreen

Specifically this video

http://youtu.be/GXdirSCSfsg

Should be easy to make progress if you have an actual stall bar.

Also if somebody could tell me why this isn't linking correctly that would be awesome.

Cole Dano

GXdirSCSfsg

AlexX

How often do you actually practice the flag? I know people recommend not practicing it and just trying it out from time to time but if that's a major goal for you some direct work in the flag would be more beneficial than anything else.

But if you are looking for prereqs it seems that 10 - 12 full range of motion handstand pushups (against the wall) would be pretty good. I didn't just make that up on the spot either, when I was able to do 6 I was closest to the flag could even hold it with bent legs for a few secs. A friend of mine was able to do the flag with minimal training and he was knocking out 10 full range handstand pushups and 6 full range on rings (feet supported). He was 190 at the time I believe, although could have been 200 when he got the flag.

Neal Winkler
AlexX said:
How often do you actually practice the flag? I know people recommend not practicing it and just trying it out from time to time but if that's a major goal for you some direct work in the flag would be more beneficial than anything else.

But if you are looking for prereqs it seems that 10 - 12 full range of motion handstand pushups (against the wall) would be pretty good. I didn't just make that up on the spot either, when I was able to do 6 I was closest to the flag could even hold it with bent legs for a few secs. A friend of mine was able to do the flag with minimal training and he was knocking out 10 full range handstand pushups and 6 full range on rings (feet supported). He was 190 at the time I believe, although could have been 200 when he got the flag.

Yeah, I can only do 3 HSPU. I guess I'm still not strong enough in the shoulders.

I train the side lever when it comes up in the WOD and play with it every once in while. I can barely hold a tuck for one second.

Razz

Side lever also requires some technique.. when I don't get the technique right I can't even hold a tuck. When it clicks I can do 20s straddle..Without reading other peoples recommendations I'm gonna throw out some homemade pre reqs for HS press and side levers.

Press HS:

very good flexibility in hips, 10s straddle-l on floor should do.

1 minute wrist HS aka stommach to wall HS

10 HeSPU

Side lever pulls:

I got nothing, but 40s of FL/BL/PL in tuck position along with the above reqs should make one able to hold a tuck flag after getting the technique.

This is completely based on personal experience and is probably biased as hell

Philip Chubb

Actually Razz's suggestion on the BL is realy good. Back lever with palms down helps the pulling arm if you use stall bars. It feels very similar when I do them. The technique is also a big thing. I try to keep my head and arms lined up perfectly and that usually helps. If my head is peaking out I can't get up there.