This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 101105

Started by Coach Sommer, November 5, 2010 · 17 Replies · 2,470 Views

Coach Sommer

K7DaRCQh0lY

Perform:

1x10 Cast Wall Walks

1x5 Pike Box Press HS

1x10 Straddle Box Press HS

12 cycles of XR Strap HS

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Rest 1-2 minutes between Press HS sets.

2) If Cast Wall Walks are insufficiently challenging, you may perform PL Wall Walks instead. The key difference between these two variations is that the hands will remain behind the shoulders at all times during the descent and ascent of the PL Walks, whereas in the Cast Wall Walks the hands are directly under the shoulders.

3) Remember to adjust the height as necessary during the Box Press HS variations to ensure that the presses are sufficiently challenging.

4) If you cannot press to HS, then press to HeS.

5) If you are strong enough, replace the Box Press HS variations with Press HS from an L-sit on parallets or PBs.

6) If you exceptionally strong, perform the Press HS variations on the XR.

7) Rest 3-5 minutes after completing all of the Press HS work and then begin the XR Strap HS.

8 ) Each XR Strap HS cycle consists of 30 work followed by 45 seconds of rest. Go directly from one cycle to the next with no additional rest.

9) DO NOT come down during the 30 seconds of HS. If you do come down, that cycle does not count towards your total of 12 cycles.

10) To perform XR Strap HS drop your Xtreme Rings down to 6â€-8†from the ground. Now kick up into a handstand widely straddling your legs so that they wrap around the straps. Straighten and lock your arms as much as possible and begin timing your HS.

11) The XR Strap HS can be made much more physically demanding by placing your feet along the inside of the straps rather than wrapping your legs around the straps. The intensity can be further increased by ensuring that your elbows are completely locked and straight.

12) If XR Strap HSs are currently too demanding, perform Wall HS instead; although every effort should be made to complete the workout with XR Strap HS.

Aushion Chatman

XR Strap HS cycles give me the willies...

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

There goes the shoulders! Here we go!

kevinrohrbach

Uff!

WU

General joint mobilization

Ido’s scapular mobilization

Wrist prehab exercises

FSP

2x30s

Elevated straddle L + Tuck FL

Adv. Frog + Backward PU

Tuck LS + Tuck BL

WOD

(4+2+2+2) Cast Wall Walks — 20s rest after failures

(3+2) Wall Pike Press HS – 20s rest after failures

(4+3+3) Wall Straddle Press HS — 20s rest after failures

(5+3+2+2) cycles Wall HS — 2min rest after failures

2x10 Wrist push ups — knees

2 cycles front/side planks — 90s front / 45s each side 1min rest between cycles

Ido’s Shoulder ROM & Stability routine

Comments:

  • [*:37qagph2]I definitely have a long way to go. I'd like to see myself be able to complete the above kind of exercise sets in one go within the next month or two i.e. the way Coach intended them to be performed.
    [*:37qagph2]I have identified the following weaknesses — everything.
    No, seriously. As stated elsewhere I'll be concentrating on my HS and pull up skills in the near future. I've decided to add some core stability exercises to the mix in the form of planks to be performed at least twice weekly in the cool-down.
    Let's see how that goes.

Justin Kyle

Warm up:

Straddle L partial roll 3x5 (2 sec holds)

4x10 sec Adv. Tuck FL

4x8 sec full lay BL

Iron cross partial flaps and full holds with feet on block 3x5 flaps and 3-5 sec holds

WOD:

1x10 Cast wall walks

1x5 Pike press HS against wall w/ parallettes

1x10 Box straddle press HS

12 cycles of XR HS as prescribed (A coach at my gym recommended to do small circles while in the handstand to make these more difficult. 10 clockwise and 10 counterclockwise. I really like it but it was very challenging)

2x10 wrist pushups

Did a lot of pressing this week since I'm doing straight arm press handstand work twice a week and more handstands. Felt tired but still felt I did pretty well today. I think this will get better once my body gets used to the new load. God bless guys

Samuel Carr

If doing the HS cycles against a wall, should i do them stomach or back to wall?

Tyler Schmitz

Today's WOD:

Warm up

3x10 sec Straddle FL

3x10 sec PB Adv. Tuck Planche

3x10 sec full lay BL

3x10 sec PB Straddle-L Low

3x10 sec PB Advanced L-sit

1x10 Cast Wall Walks

rest 2 min

1x5 Negative Straddle Press HS

rest 2 min

1x10 Straddle Wall Press HS

rest 5 min

12 rds of XR Strap HS Hold

30 sec on; 45 sec off

Finished with 2 x 10 Wrist Pushup with ft elevated

ooden said:
WOD:

1x10 Cast wall walks

1x5 Pike press HS against wall w/ parallettes

1x10 Box straddle press HS

12 cycles of XR HS as prescribed (A coach at my gym recommended to do small circles while in the handstand to make these more difficult. 10 clockwise and 10 counterclockwise. I really like it but it was very challenging)

Ooden, how high is your box for the box straddle press HS? I can't seem to figure these out. :(

Joshua Naterman

BRUTAL. I went the full 12 rounds with the rings and though I have no belt on I feel like a winner!

Cast wall walks: 5, 3, 3. Very good form on the first 8 or 9. You can see my back start to arch a little on 10 and 11.

4" elevated head pike HeS press: 5 reps. These are tough customers. It may be my lower back being tight from deadlifting and squatting for the first time in months (deadlift) and weeks (squatting), but I think it was just the increase in elevation. Regardless, good work!

4" elevated straddle HeS press: 10 reps. No problem. The last rep was reasonably challenging, so this is the right place for me now.

12 rounds of rings handstand: Well, nearly all the sets are 15-20s, though some are 30, but this was literally my limit. More than a few sets ended with a very slow negative HeSPU to the floor! Hut Hui!!!

This was a tough workout. My rings handstands are WEAK. I can't quite get fully extended, but it's getting better... at least in the first few rounds! :P

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

WU:

500m Row

12 Shoulder Dislocate

5 HeSPU (Facing Wall)

5 Elastic Muscle Up (Black/Purple)

3 Elastic Muscle Up (Purple)

5 SLS/Leg

5 Ring Curls

FSP:

2 x 1 Front Lever (Flat Tuck; 15s, 15s)

2 x 1 Straddle L (PB Low; 15s, 15s)

1 x 1 Planche (PB Tuck; 15s)

2 x 1 Manna (PB Low; 10s, 10s)

2 x 1 L-Sit (PB Advance; 10s, 5s)

1 x 1 Back Lever (Straddle; 8s)

WOD:

10 Cast Wall Walks

Rest 1 mins

5 Pike Press HeS

Rest 1 mins

10 Straddle Press HeS

Rest 3 mins

12 Cycles of Ring HS Holds (30s On, 45s Off; Black Elastic Assistance)

Finish with 2 x 10 Wrist Pushups on Knees.

Justin Kyle

Hey treemantyler! I do not know an exact height but I'd say the panel mat I used was probably a little taller than a foot. I can't do ten straight from that height yet though. The pike presses take it out of me. I usually get about 7 and squeeze out the last three. You are way stronger than me so I think you could probably get ten straight from that height. :)

Kenneth Manning

Today's WOD:

Cast wall walks x 4,3,3,3

pike press HeS head on 6" block x 5,4,5

straddle press HeS head on 6" block x 6; head on floor x 10

12 cycles wall HS 30 sec work/45 sec rest

*for whatever reason, cast wall walks did not feel good at all today. Felt like someone put grease on the wall!! I terminated each set when I lost my body-line and my hips started to sag.

*press HeS's went pretty well, I also spent some time attempting various press HS's from different height boxes, but I'm just not there yet.

*wall HS's were easy, but I'm still not ready to jump into a XR HS without a spotter or at least someone around to call 911 in the event of a crash :D .

Tyler Schmitz

Ooden, thx for the reply. I can currently do 1 straddle press HS from floor on a Good day only. I've tried the box straddle press HS, but I don't know if it's lack of flexibility or what, but I just can't start the press without pushing with my toes a little. Perhaps it's bc of lack of flexibility, insufficient hip flexor strength, or just incorrect technique..kinda frustrating. I will keep trying on HS days and see if I improve. Thanks man

Justin Kyle

Be sure your hands are as close to the mat or whatever you're trying to press off as possible. This helps to ensure that you are getting your hips over your head and lifting the legs after that. Also, be sure that your shoulders are open with the arms right by ears just like in a good straight handstand. Planching the shoulders will make it harder. Also, using your toes I think is ok for a bit just to get used to the movement but try not to make it a habit. Hope this helps man!

Tyler Schmitz

Ooden, oh I bet it's that I'm not opening up my shoulders. For some reason, that's where my flexibility is the worst. I did wall extensions all summer and saw very little improvement in flexibility. My shoulders just won't fully open..lol..thanks buddy

Max Johnson

Warmup:

Jumprope, shoulder circles/shrugs

Wrist series (palm down/up leans, 1x10 knee pushups of: dorsal, wrist, first knuckle, finger, fingertip hopping)

1x5 Pullups

FSP warmup:

2x (30s Straddle-L + 25s Tuck FL)

2x (30s Frogstand + 30s Reverse Pushup)

2x (25s Bent L-sit + 10s Unassisted German Hang)

2x30s Hollow Hold

2x30s Arch Hold

1x30s Planche Lean

WOD:

2x5 Cast Wall Walks

1x5 Pike Box Press HeS (6″ box)

1x10 Straddle Box Press HeS (6″ box)

12 cycles of Wall HS

2x10 Wrist Pushups

Cooldown:

Ido's Scapular Mobilization Routine

Notes:

  • [*:2cv1w1k2]Cast Wall Walks are still very tough, and the Pike/Straddle Box Press HeS are still challenging at this box height.
    [*:2cv1w1k2]Wall HS cycles, however, are much improved from last time - they're not trivial, but they felt pretty easy today. I did the first 4 cycles with back-to-wall, and the last 8 with belly-to-wall.

Tarun Suri
kal said:

2x30s Arch Hold

What are arch holds?

Razz

lay on your stommach and pretend you are superman :D arms and legs up

Tarun Suri
Razz said:
lay on your stommach and pretend you are superman :D arms and legs up

Ahh thanks. I guess certain people on this forum don't really need to pretend :lol: