Ranking of a one arm chinup

Started by AlexX, November 4, 2010 · 3 Replies · 3,759 Views

AlexX

This is just a fun post so please don't give your answers on how the skill is totally different and how it is not possible to properly rank it, I am aware of this. But just for fun, I wanted to get people's opinions on where you would rank the one arm chinup.

Here are two opinions so far:

Mine - For me the one arm chinup seems to progress at the rate of the front lever so my opinion is to put it at A with the front lever. The counter argument for this is that it is a much harder move than that. My response to that is those who train malteses and crosses don't train the one armer therefor it seems harder when they do try it because it does require some specific training.

Had a recent discussion with a former gymnast who is able to do a oac and here is his opinion: A bodyweight one arm chinup is a C level skill. His reasoning is that B level skills like crosses are quite common where as the one arm chinup is not. The counter argument here would be mine saying that they simply don't train it, however in his experience he had a cross well before he had a one arm chinup and the one arm chinup felt harder. Also note that he doesn't like to pull from complete lockout because of joint strain but can.

Looking forward to seeing people's opinions on this, especially from those who can do crosses or others who have trained the one arm chinup. :D Oh and if you can do one post where the skill is in relation to your other training.

EDIT: I wasn't sure where to post this but now I think this is probably for a community forum. I guess the moderators will take care of it if it's out of place, sorry.

Razz

If you consider that many ring specialists can do 5-10 cross pullouts (possibly more) and that is without specifically training for reps in this skill, although there are still crosses and pullouts in their routines. A cross pullout is a C movement. Even Cisco cannot do 10 dead hang OAC. Therefore I rate this as a C move. From a dead hang that is! not dead hang would be a B or even A.

John Sapinoso

With how hard gymnastics strength skills are rated I'd say it's an B at most, it's a connection bonus if you go straight to a one arm front lever :wink:

AlexX

Haha connection bonus, I like that. Razz you seem to be of the same opinion as the guy I had a discussion with, his reasoning was very similar to yours which surprised me. I thought gymnasts/former gymnasts would think it is easier than a cross not the same or harder. Very interesting.

EDIT: Also just remembered an interesting thing: John Gill who trained the one arm chin up and ring skills at the same time was able to do crosses and multiple cross pulls (doesn't say how many) and did 7 one arm chins with left and 5 with right arm, these weren't from a complete dead hang apparently.