Offical advanced FSP times?

Started by Alexander Moreen, October 31, 2010 · 4 Replies · 2,501 Views

Alexander Moreen

So there has lately been quite a lot of talk on the boards about what positions you do and do not need a 60 second max hold for and what the actual minimums for straddle and beyond are. Of the six FSP you need 60s holds for; L-sit(horrizontal and above, straight), straddle L (horizontal and above, straight, both hands middle), Front Lever through advanced tucek(that means no rounded upper back, shoulders back, no arch in the lower back), Back Lever through advanced tuck (shoulders should be neutral in position, neither forward or back, try to avoid arching the lower back), Planche through advanced tuck ( means shoulders fully forward, upper back to lower back flat and neutral, not rounded or arched), and Middle split hold through tuck( horizontal).

After that I have not heard any consistent answers for how long you should be able to hold a straddle or full before you work it or how long your total work time should be.

Numbers that sound reasonable to me are 8-10 second minimums with 20-30 second work times still using a half max approach, but those might be way off. Anybody with an idea what the official numbers may be feel free to chime in.

Joshua Naterman

Coach was saying that for a straddle you need the 60s adv tuck, and to not worry about moving past straddle until you have a 15s straddle. That's a perfect straddle, not something with bent knees or feet below the hips. At that point you can try half lay or full lay.

Razz

Just an example: Ido was doing something like 10-12x10-12s straddle PL for worksets when he was able to hold something like a 3-5s full planche so that puts things in perspective.

Alexander Moreen

So, if I can hold a straddle front lever for 10 seconds with good form, I should work sets of 5 second holds? Or at this point do I then go away from half max sets and work closer to my maximum and do say 7-8 seconds, since this is clearly strength work now?

If I can hold a 8 second full back lever, and a 15-18 second straddle, do I work straddle sets or full lay sets for pre-WOD conditioning?

Joshua Naterman

Wow. This is where we need Coach!

However, I will take a stab at this. You should probably hit the straddle, because three to five 8-9s work sets of straddle are simply much more time efficient and much less fatiguing on the nervous system than 10 3s full lays. You may even want to base your overall volume on how you feel each day, don't push past limits. You'll be different every day, but once you get used to this you should have no problem with a daily variance in intensity! I do this with my FL at this point.