Wide Grip Muscle Up - UPDATE

Started by Michael Traynor, October 31, 2010 · 11 Replies · 4,189 Views

Michael Traynor

Hello all,

My MU progress is coming along nicely so here is another video for critique please, the angle isn't great as I am on my own in the gym and my phone is taped to my chin up bar; but I am looking for advice on the following if you would be so kind:

I thought I would try a wide grip MU for fun to see how I do: Is this wide enough to count as a wide grip?

Thanks to Dillon I now know to turn the rings out during the dipping phase (i know this camera angle is not ideal) but: is this an improvement?

I'm putting much more emphasis on the the negative rep (I feel I can go slower than this and will try next video): How is my technique on this? Is too much of my body weight above the rings on the negative dip before the negative transition?

I know that I need to not pike my body so much during my MU, I can do them unpiked but I was concentrating too much on my wide grip attempt and forgot to pay attention to my body line. I know my body line is generally untidy throughout but I just need to focus better. :)

Just started doing rolls last week and just started trying to learn shoulder stands, I know I have the strength but at the moment I don't have the guts to do them on these high rings, I can do them fine on low ones, i'll keep you all posted.

Thanks so much to all especially Dillon, Slizzardman and Razz, it's thanks to you I can MUs and I enjoy all this training so so much. :D

POEAPRZ8e3Y

Alessandro Mainente

yeah...very very great job...the only thing in my opinion is: try to pull at your sternum...and try to start the dip before the pull's end!

you have a great strength on the transition.... :D:D:D:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Joshua Naterman

Very nice! Gregor told me the same thing Alex is telling you: As soon as your hands get below your shoulders in the pull you want to start the transition, and as soon as your elbows are above parallel you want to start pressing up into the dip portion of the MU! You're looking very strong!

Razz

Less leaning forward (I think that's what the other guys are getting at) will reduce the break in between the pullup and pushup. This makes it much harder though!

Michael Traynor

This all sounds fantastic :) Thanks all for your input and support, I will take it all on board and check in asap with an update (probably just standard MUs though which are much stronger than this).

Gregor

GREAT JOB INDEED!

What others said is correct. Because of a pause your palms escaped to your body for a moment and you needed to push them away. When you'll not have a pause you won't need to push them away but always slightly pressing them to your body and down to maintain the palms positions.

It seems your elbows arent completly locked at the end.

Michael Traynor

Thanks very much Gregor! :) Your support means a lot to me. I will keep working away at my technique and I hope to have something more aesthetically pleasing to show you all soon.

Michael Traynor

Hi again all, thought i'd revive this post because I have just started training my wide grip Muscle Ups properly now that my normal MUs are bombproof and I am starting to train those weighted. I would really appreciate more help in my technique, I think I know where to go from here but there will be many things I don't realise as ever.

4msNTrNDEAo

So this was at the end of todays WOD so was a bit fried only really did it because I was showing my friend (who just achieved his first MU) where my MU training is at, I said I was training wide grip MUs and before I had managed the pull with wide grip but not the transition and dip, that my arms tended to come into my sides during those phases, so I tried one and it felt great then got him to film another for me.

Sooo. long story short, please excuse the horrible horrible piking, all other advice welcome welcome, one day I want to achieve the vertical pull up :D

dJF9BjGw1io

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

NICE!

Razz

You're getting stronger and stronger Breaks. Good to see :)

jwalker497

2) The athlete is unfamiliar with the technical aspects of the transition and it usually takes some time to learn the correct coordination of moving from a pull-up to a dip. 

 

 

This is interesting, can you elaborate on it?

Keilani Gutierrez

it kind of feels like pulling yourself through a hole, to me.