Another S&C guru doesn't understand gymnastics

Started by Neal Winkler, October 31, 2010 · 4 Replies · 2,232 Views

Neal Winkler

Lyle Mcdonald.

Responding to the question:

"How is the training for a gymnast different than that of a strength athlete? (Or is there a difference?)"

Lyle responds:

"top level gymnasts invariably start very very young and they gain strength gradually as their bodyweight climbs. Weights are traditionally not part of their training at all, it's all bodyweight stuff. But as they get heavier, that's the progressive overload."

Ok, technically true, gaining weight is a form of progressive overload for BW exercises.

But this is nothing. It's LEVERAGE, Lyle.

Razz

Lol yeah, they learn chinups as they get younger, and then WOOOOOOOOOOW they can still chinup when they're 18+!!!!!!! massive strength gains!! :D

Neal Winkler

Going from a 60 pound young gymnast to a 145 pound mature gymnast is like adding an 85 pound weight vest!

Crazy!

Ryan Libke

Do this mean that if I am fully grown, which I am, that I cannot progress? Or that I should eat more?

Razz
:lol: