This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 101029

Started by Coach Sommer, October 29, 2010 · 18 Replies · 2,913 Views

Coach Sommer

Complete the following:

3 sets of MU, XR L-sit, press shoulder stand, forward roll to shoulder stand, forward roll to hanging L-sit, Crank, Reverse Crank

5x15 seconds FL

5x15 seconds XR Support Hold

5x15 seconds German Hang

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions.

notes:

1) As much as possible, the ring strength series should be performed as a single set, uninterrupted by stops or rests.

2) Strive to perform the MUs with an emphasis on strength; keeping the kipping minimized or preferably eliminated all together. Be especially conscientious in locking your arms and turning out the rings at the top of each repetition.

3) Progressions for developing the XR shoulder stand are found in the Basic Rings Strength 3 essay.

4) Choose the most challenging BL & FL variations that you are capable of using during the Crank and Reverse Crank.

5) Rest 3-5 minutes between ring strength sets.

6) Complete all 3 sets of the ring strength series prior to beginning the static hold position sets.

7) Perform the static hold sets as a single giant set; perform a set of FL and then move immediately to the XR Support Hold and then move immediately to the German Hang.

8 ) A short rest (30-60 sec) is allowed during the static hold positions work only after a single giant set has been completed.

Joshua Naterman

Going downstairs to film this one right now!

Patrick Angelo Sardilli
Jeff @ CFST said:
Coach,

Why are the WOD's so awesome?!?!.....Thank you for putting these up every day.

I second this post! by Jeff.

Tyler Schmitz

Today's WOD:

3 sets of: 3 MU, XR L-sit, press to Shoulder Stand, roll forward to shoulder stand, roll forward to hanging L-Sit, tuck Crank, Full BL

Rested 5 min bet. sets (forgot that reverse cranks started from inverted pike)

5 rds:

15 sec adv. tuck FL

15 sec XR Support Hold

15 sec German Hang

2 x 10 Wall extensions on floor (don't think that I'm improving on these!!)

My take on set 2:

ejGxB_woRMM

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

Warmup:

500m Row

3 Strict Pullups (CTB)

1 Muscle Up -> Shoulder Stand

5 HeSPU (Facing Wall)

Fundamental Static Positions:

Rest

WOD:

3 Rounds:

MU -> XR L-Sit -> Shoulder Stand -> Roll Forward to Shoulder Stand -> Roll Forward to Hanging L-Sit -> Front Lever (Flat Tuck) -> Back Lever (Straddle) -> Rest 5 mins

5 Rounds:

15s Front Lever Hold (Between Flat Tuck and Tuck)

15s XR Support Hold

15s German Hang

Rest 2 mins

Finish with 2 x 10 Wall Extensions.

xhVkU1zQtSQ

Samuel Carr

If you cant forward roll to support (i fall back into a hang and out of false grip), is just a negative muscle up okay as a substitute?

Joshua Naterman

I would think that doing a slow forward roll and trying your best to keep your hands next to your shoulders would be the best thing to do, it is almost more of a skill thing than a strength thing in a way.

I did 2 rounds of : 3 false grip pull ups, 3 XR dips, XR L sit, press to SS (had rings too high for a full SS unfortunately), forward roll (lost false grip) to SS(had to jump up into support first), forward roll into hanging L, crank to flat tuck FL, reverse crank to tuck BL.

Third round was 1 L-sit MU (lost parallel with the legs, but this was my first time trying it and strength was great) and starting with the L sit everything else was the same.

I then had to go out to dinner for GF's cousin's birthday. It is now time to fill her car with gas and then finish the workout. I will also film one round of the FSP and the wall extensions.

Kenneth Manning

Yesterday's WOD:

4 rounds:

3MU -->L sit-->tuck shoulderstand-->press to L sit-->tuck shoulderstand-->forward roll to L sit hang-->tuck crank-->full lay reverse crank-->pull to invert and down

5 sets of:

adv tuck FL (15 sec)-->pull to invert to BL (3 sec)-->german hang (15 sec); drop off rings, then XR support (15 sec)

wall extensions: 10, 8+2

I did 4 rounds of the ring strength series because my first round was interrupted by attempting a forward roll to MU to shoulderstand -- still can't perform that forward roll to MU. It's a bit frustrating, but it's getting a little better. Focusing on slowing down the forward roll and really trying to maintain my false grip/bent arm position. It's still a little too fast to keep myself from just dropping into a hang, still a work in progress.

In my warm up I also played around with L sit on parallettes to shoulderstand. Was a lot of fun, but really showed me the VAST difference between that movement pattern with bent arms (shoulderstand) vs straight arms (press HS).

Last note - MU's continue to improve. Soon I'm going to start attempting to begin my MU's with rings turned out (when in the hang) vs rings turned in. Awesome workout today.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli
treemantyler said:
Today's WOD:

3 sets of: 3 MU, XR L-sit, press to Shoulder Stand, roll forward to shoulder stand, roll forward to hanging L-Sit, tuck Crank, Full BL

Rested 5 min bet. sets (forgot that reverse cranks started from inverted pike)

5 rds:

15 sec adv. tuck FL

15 sec XR Support Hold

15 sec German Hang

2 x 10 Wall extensions on floor (don't think that I'm improving on these!!)

My take on set 2:

ejGxB_woRMM

SOLID NICE!

James Portillo

Question: If the WOD contains a giant set of statics such as these, do we still do the statics in our warm up? For example, we do FL here, does that mean we don't include it in the FSP warm up so we don't overdue it?

I ask this because as I speak I am doing this workout, and I did tuck FL in the warm up without realizing it's at the end of the workout =/

Joshua Naterman

That's a great question. I asked Coach about this a while ago and he said that if FL is in the workout as something like 5x15 or something that is fulfilling the 60s requirement then it is ok to skip it in the warm up.

Squatchy

I've been doing these GB WOD's here recently, I've been enjoying them a lot, and have made some good progress in some of the gymnastic moves/skills too. I just got some rings the other day and this was my first workout using them (was previously using just a door pullup bar and whatever else to do what i could without rings, I love actually using rings for these. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks.

James Portillo
slizzardman said:
That's a great question. I asked Coach about this a while ago and he said that if FL is in the workout as something like 5x15 or something that is fulfilling the 60s requirement then it is ok to skip it in the warm up.

Ah okay.. sounds good. But being that I finished this workout already.. is it necessarily bad that I did it as both part of the warm up and the workout? :?

a.ramz

Wow. I'm definitely amazed at the progress I have made from the previous ring strength WODs. I can now complete a whole series (currently using MU subs) without my grip failing on me. No longer having to worry about falling on top of my head...feels amazing.

Can't wait to see everyone at next year's US seminar!

Cole Dano

This was a really good workout for me as well. I second or third Jeff's comment.

There were clear signs of progress, managed to hold decent flat tuck, and slow straddle negatives for the front levers. I''m still only working with Ring Series 1 until the MU happens, but today was the first time i believed it could happen. My ring dips are now solid, and the last round of this WO i still couldn't manage a full ROM one. So though a small step, that feels very significant to me personally.

Until the left arm and elbow are healed completely i am being very conservative yet still steady progress is happening.

This is clearly a game of patience, consistency and perseverance.

Max Johnson

Warmup:

Jumprope, shoulder circles/shrugs

Wrist series (palm down/up leans, 1x10 knee pushups of: dorsal, wrist, first knuckle, finger, fingertip hopping)

FSP warmup:

1x (30s Straddle-L + 25s Tuck FL)

2x (30s Frogstand + 30s Reverse Pushup)

1x (25s Bent L-sit + 10s Unassisted German Hang)

WOD:

3x (3 Pullups, 3 XR Dips, XR L-sit, 2 shoulder stand leans, hanging L-sit, Tuck Crank, Tuck Reverse Crank

5x (15s Tuck FL, 15s XR Support Hold, 15s German Hang)

2x10 Wall Extensions.

Cooldown:

Ido's Scapular Mobilization Routine

Notes:

  • [*:1l65g1rr]Still don't feel like I can work the first part of the WOD properly, but I've definitely improved in the bicep tendon FSPs.

Patrick Patterson

Drastically scaled WOD. A major problem with these ring based WODs is that all I have access to, equipment-wise, is a doorway pull-up bar and push-up bars on the floor (no rings, no dipping station or pbs, no overhead clearance on my pull-up bar). So attempting any MU is impossible, doing XR supports, shoulder stands, and any exercises which require a straight inverted position (like cranks) is also impossible (do to the doorway bar and clearance). I did my best to try to get the idea of the workout, but maybe there is a better way to scale it according to my limited abilities and equipment.

FSP Warm-ups (as per Slizzardman)

3 rounds of:

-3 false-grip Pull-ups

-5 second l-sit on Push-Up bars

-5 second hanging l-sit

-1 front pull negative (flat tuck)

-1 German hang pull

5 rounds of:

-15sec flat tuck FL

-15 sec support hold on straight bar

-15 sec German hang

When doing these type of WODs I also notice that a weak link is my grip, that is my grip is what seems to fail in my german hangs as get on in the sets.

Graham Smith
HamdiC said:
Drastically scaled WOD. A major problem with these ring based WODs is that all I have access to, equipment-wise, is a doorway pull-up bar and push-up bars on the floor (no rings, no dipping station or pbs, no overhead clearance on my pull-up bar). So attempting any MU is impossible, doing XR supports, shoulder stands, and any exercises which require a straight inverted position (like cranks) is also impossible (do to the doorway bar and clearance). I did my best to try to get the idea of the workout, but maybe there is a better way to scale it according to my limited abilities and equipment.

I can't recommend purchasing the extreme rings highly enough, they will add so much more to your workout ability. If you really can't afford them for now then at least improvise with some webbing strap and dowel.

Not only can you use the rings outdoor on a tree branch, but you can use them quite successfully on a regular doorway chinup bar. In my house I have my chinup bar in the hallway cupboard, so I appreciate space limitations. I would NOT suggest doing inverted or dynamic moves on rings supported from a doorway chinup bar, but it is possible to do muscle ups with your legs in a tucked position. XR tuck or L supports are also possible with rings hanging from a chinup bar, and will seriously add a great deal of strength. At floor height, the rings are excellent for planche leans and unstable pushups. Not to mention a variety of dips which it sounds like your current setup restricts.

The buckles on the rings make it very quick to transition the height for different exercises. Being able to add ring support holds and unstable dips and muscle ups is well worth it.

Patrick Patterson

I would love to have the rings, no doubt about it. I asked Santa! We'll see what happens.