Strength

Started by Zac Rhyne, October 27, 2010 · 4 Replies · 4,388 Views

Zac Rhyne

Proof.

Razz

There are so many sports out there that have not realized the potential of straight arm strength and general gymnastics conditioning. ANY sport where pressure is put on the straight arm will benefit, but most coaches don't realize this and still just do the usual bench press....not that I'm an expert on sports training in any sport myself just to make that clear.

AlexX

You have to remember that as a whole the strength and conditioning for athletes is a whole new concept. 30 years ago baseball players and swimmers literally weren't allowed to lift weights because "they'd get too slow", now look at the baseball players. A large portion of more sports taking up strength training is thanks to Bill Starr. Hopefully someone new will move forward to reintroduce bodyweight feats back into training. I say reintroduce because back 80 years ago bodybuilders and strongman all could do bodyweight feats that would impress most on here, we just needs this introduction to happen for the sports training community. And actually you can already see this happening from some throwers and swimmers taking up ring training because they see the benefits.

Kyle Courville
AlexX said:
You have to remember that as a whole the strength and conditioning for athletes is a whole new concept. 30 years ago baseball players and swimmers literally weren't allowed to lift weights because "they'd get too slow", now look at the baseball players. A large portion of more sports taking up strength training is thanks to Bill Starr. Hopefully someone new will move forward to reintroduce bodyweight feats back into training. I say reintroduce because back 80 years ago bodybuilders and strongman all could do bodyweight feats that would impress most on here, we just needs this introduction to happen for the sports training community. And actually you can already see this happening from some throwers and swimmers taking up ring training because they see the benefits.

As a baseball player I can definetly vouch for the benefits of straight arm work for throwing. After I started taking the GB program seriously I get very little arm soreness after a bullpen; before it would feel as if my arm was going to fall off, especially at the biceps tendon of the elbow.

Sternford

Similarly, war: what is it good for?

I am saddened to hear that they used to think strength training would be bad in sports. I was under the impression that everyone did at least a little bit of gymnastics training a long time ago but then it stopped being popular around the sixties or something