Kip to cross

Started by Nic Scheelings, October 26, 2010 · 12 Replies · 3,056 Views

Nic Scheelings

Would this get paid in a comp? If so this would be great my first C.

Haven't trained cross in so long as I tore the labrum in my shoulder, Sports doc said I would never cross without getting surgery. I went back and forth about whether or not to get surgery so many times and eventually decided not to, looks like I showed them!

Elbows feel like shit as I got excited and did probably a few too many, my pronator teres especially feels fried. I would love to compete this one day tho.

NZ3PPWVgPKU

Blairbob

Well...I want to say congrats. Awesome.

The judge in me wants to say this, though:

You start in a false grip and do the cross in a false grip. That's -0.1 for at least the cross in false grip. My friend said his kip to cross in the 90s was done in the same fashion.

Bent arms on the kip. -0.3?

Kipping too high and lowering into the cross. All strength holds are supposed to enter at horizontal. I just finished my national test but I think this may recieve Non-Recognition. Otherwise, -0.3.

Just remember, this is 99% cooler than what anyone on the forum can and probably ever will do. Clean it up and you could get recognition. False grip kip is more of just a muscle-up, though. Bent arm kip is an A, straight arm is a B, I think.

Nic Scheelings

haha u judges always screw me! :D

Are you not supposed to kip with false grip? I thought u could. I do not pay attention to the false grip deduction for cross because every person does it with a false grip so who cares? Yeah kip is definitely a bit high, I think I need to watch a few more vids of how it's done.

Thanks for the feedback.

Razz

Kips and crosses are always false grips in competition. No one cares. GREAT JOB though, wish I could do that :D

Blairbob

Yes, but the false grip is -0.1 deduction. False grips are used but shouldn't be. However, I really need to look to see if I can find any maltese without a false grip. All the victorians I see (3) use them and as you say, many crosses.

Sorry, my bad - back kip with straight arms is a B or kip to L-sit. However, bent arms on the kip would still be a deduction and in your case, I'd take a medium error (0.3).

When I learned a kip, I used a false grip. However, it was an ugly muscled thing which seeing as I'm not that strong doesn't work for me besides the fact when I started retraining it, I was doing it with much better technique.

So, it depends on how hard the judge is whether you'd get recognition. But a judge could give Non-Recognition because you were high and lowered into it. This is a big no-no for a lot of skills nowadays. I don't know how strict the judge's are there. If it was a college club competition, they might give it to you here in the US but probably not in the Junior Olympic or National's program.

Razz

Even in olympics they don't deduct false grip crosses and malteses do they? I'm not saying this kip to cross would be recognized but that's because of the high kip, not the false grip.

Joshua Chan
Razz said:
Even in olympics they don't deduct false grip crosses and malteses do they? I'm not saying this kip to cross would be recognized but that's because of the high kip, not the false grip.

They do, probably even more than in regular competitions.

Let's not forget that there are two separate scores, deduction and dificulty. A very strict judge would count two different skills, the kip to support and the cross. Cross: .2, Kip to Support:.1. But the Kip to Cross is .3, so it doesn't really matter.

What Demus does in the video is very difficult. The kipping motion is perfect, the cross is pretty good, just needs to actually hold it for a beat. In the actual olympics he would not get any recognition though, and on top of it, deducted cause of the false grip, no 2 second pause, etc.

Blairbob, there are no bent arm kip, you're probably confusing it with the felge forward.

-Joshua

Nic Scheelings
In the actual olympics he would not get any recognition though, and on top of it, deducted cause of the false grip, no 2 second pause, etc.

Oh no my dreams are shattered I thought I would make the olympics :lol:

Any comp I do is pretty recreational full of has beens and never was beens like myself :D

Blairbob

Pretty much same here, Demus. In collegiate club, we might give you credit but take for deduction. At Nationals collegiate club, I dunno seeing as they generally have national ranked judges.

My bent arm kip that I will hopefully insert in my routine ( so I don't have to MU) will get me an A but I'd probably take at least 1-3/10ths for it due to bent arms and it won't end in L but I don't think it'll warrant a 5/10th deduction. Frankly, I just want an easier way to get up besides an uprise.

Actually if you hit the position of the cross but did not hold it but any longer than a moment, you would receive a 5/10ths deduction but receive credit. Anything under 2s is 3/10ths regardless if it's 0.2s or 1.9s. I liked the old deduction but understand why it's done this way, I think.

Neal Winkler

Did you get all your muscle from gymnastics?

Nic Scheelings
Did you get all your muscle from gymnastics?

No I did not. I took up gymnastics three yrs or so ago. Before that i had lifted weights for a long time. I started lifting weights as a teenager and did the usual stupid shit like heaps of bicep curl and bench and that's about it. I Then learned the olympic lifts and did that almost exclusively for a year and then a pole vaulter introduced me to gymnastics style traing and I was hooked.

Gregor

1. Don't start in a false grip

2. when you kip don't kip up, like you do in kip to support, but much less kip and more forward

3. you must do false grip trough your kip wit wrist (0,3 s :lol: before you drop to IC)

False grip is widely used, and non of a top gymnast compeets without of it (even this years world champion yibing). They should deduct it, but nobody do it without and I think nobody could do nowdays compeetition routines without a false grip.

Marco Filippone

Don't know if it's worth replying to an old post, but I was searching and came here....

 

I'm not a big fan of false grips, and IMHO it should be always deducted in competitions.

I can name a lot of competitives that NEVER use false grips on SR routines, especially from RGF: Denis Ablyazin for example has a cross and a maltese that he always competes without false grip (he is also helped by his short levers :P )

Pavel Pavlov, Daniil Kazachkov, Sergei Khorokhordin....all have low to none false grip in their routines, so I think false grip MUST be deducted during competitions (just my 2cents :P)