This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 101026

Started by Coach Sommer, October 26, 2010 · 21 Replies · 3,059 Views

Coach Sommer

K7DaRCQh0lY

Perform:

1x10 Cast Wall Walks

1x5 Pike Box Press HS

1x10 Straddle Box Press HS

Walking HSPU Ladders

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Rest 1-2 minutes between Press HS sets.

2) If Cast Wall Walks are insufficiently challenging, you may perform PL Wall Walks instead. The key difference between these two variations is that the hands will remain behind the shoulders at all times during the descent and ascent of the PL Walks, whereas in the Cast Wall Walks the hands are directly under the shoulders.

3) Remember to adjust the height as necessary during the Box Press HS variations to ensure that the presses are sufficiently challenging.

4) If you cannot press to HS, then press to HeS.

5) If you are strong enough, replace the Box Press HS variations with Press HS from an L-sit on parallets or PBs.

6) If you exceptionally strong, perform the Press HS variations on the XR.

7) Rest 3-5 minutes then start the Walking HSPU Ladders.

8 ) Begin with Box HeSPU; perform 2 reps then immediately do 6 steps of HS Wall Runs. Take a few breaths and then move on to Negative HeSPU performing 2 reps followed by 6 steps of HS Wall Runs, continue on upward through the HSPU progressions in this fashion until you reach the hardest variation you are capable of, rest 3-5 minutes and then reverse ladder back to the beginning. You will now have completed one round.

9) How many rounds you perform depends on the number of rungs that were in your ladder; e.g. you only made it to the first exercise, you will perform 10 rounds or if you made it to the 5th exercise, you will perform 2 rounds.

10) Adjust the reps in the Walking HSPU Ladder as necessary. If performing two reps at a time is too difficult, drop to one repetition of each variation. If performing two is too easy, increase to three, four or even five reps per variation.

Mats Trane

Do the elbows have to be completly locked during the presses?

If I have à slight elbowbend during the presses Should I make the box higher?

Coach Sommer
cdx said:
... Do the elbows have to be completly locked during the presses? If I have à slight elbowbend during the presses Should I make the box higher? ...

Yes, the elbows should be completedly locked and a higher box would be appropriate.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Poethics

Warmup

Steve Maxwell - Encyclopedia of Joint Mobility:

Did the Neck, Shoulders and Elbows, Wrists & Fingers routines

+

FSP

WOD

3x3 Cast Wall Walks with 3min rest in between sets (1)

1x5 Pike Press HeS

1x10 Straddle Press HeS

6x12 steps HS Wall Run with 1min rest (2)

Finished with

1x10 Wrist Pushups from knees

+

1x8 Wrist Pushups

Questions

1: I'm training my Cast Wall Walks as strength training, since they are very challenging for me. Should I continue like this or should I always go for as many reps as I can per set until i reach a total of 10 reps? I've done it like this the last two times and today i felt much stronger. Only the last rep felt hard and wobbly compared to last times failure after the second rep on the last set.

2: I'm very weak in the HS Wall Runs and I've previously done them in a Box HS position during Walking HSPU Ladders. I've decided to concentrate on improving my HS Wall Run strength and endurance. I want to get good at them so I can do proper Walking HSPU Ladders in the near future + I don't want to burn out my shoulders and triceps due to MMA class 3 times per week. Sounds good? Feels good atleast. :)

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

Warmup:

500m Row

12 Pushups

12 Shoulder Dislocates

5 HeSPU (Wall)

FSP:

Rest

WOD:

1 x 10 Cast Wall Walks; rest 1 min

1 x 5 Pike Press HeS with wall; rest 1 min

1 x 10 Straddle Press HeS with wall; rest 5 min

Reverse Walking HeSPU Ladder (Reverse on Wall HeSPU; 3 Rounds, 2 Rounds, 1 Round)

Strict Bar Muscle Up Practice & Straddle Press HeS Practice without wall.

Finish with 2 x 10 Wrist Pushups on Knees. Shoulder Drills & Stretch.

Joshua Naterman
Poethics said:
Warmup

Steve Maxwell - Encyclopedia of Joint Mobility:

Did the Neck, Shoulders and Elbows, Wrists & Fingers routines

+

FSP

WOD

3x3 Cast Wall Walks with 3min rest in between sets (1)

1x5 Pike Press HeS

1x10 Straddle Press HeS

6x12 steps HS Wall Run with 1min rest (2)

Finished with

1x10 Wrist Pushups from knees

+

1x8 Wrist Pushups

Questions

1: I'm training my Cast Wall Walks as strength training, since they are very challenging for me. Should I continue like this or should I always go for as many reps as I can per set until i reach a total of 10 reps? I've done it like this the last two times and today i felt much stronger. Only the last rep felt hard and wobbly compared to last times failure after the second rep on the last set.

2: I'm very weak in the HS Wall Runs and I've previously done them in a Box HS position during Walking HSPU Ladders. I've decided to concentrate on improving my HS Wall Run strength and endurance. I want to get good at them so I can do proper Walking HSPU Ladders in the near future + I don't want to burn out my shoulders and triceps due to MMA class 3 times per week. Sounds good? Feels good atleast. :)

1) I think that what you are doing is smart. Keep with the 3x3 and cut your rest to 2:45 next time this comes around. What will happen, over time, is that you'll be doing 3x3 with around 10 seconds rest. At that point you are pretty much doing 9 reps straight, which is almost the full 10. You can probably imagine how much stronger you will be, as many of our strong members here struggle to complete 1x10! I am essentially using this same approach, and it works well.

2) How is your stomach to wall HS? If you can't hold for 60s at least, you should work wall HS sets instead of the HS wall runs. 60s wall handstand is considered a bare minimum hold for starting the HS wall runs, and working to hard on wall runs prematurely will work against you rather than for you.

As far as MMA class is concerned, having tired shoulders and triceps won't be the end of the world. When you're striking your arms should be very loose and relaxed. You shouldn't really be getting tired from striking if you're doing it right, but most places don't specifically drill relaxed punching. It is a skill that does not come naturally to most people. When you're wrestling around you will be forced to use more technique and less strength if you're tired, and that will make you a better ground fighter.

The only time you'd want to start backing off is when you are either doing lots of lifting outside of the WODs or you are in a fight cycle, but even then you won't need to worry about things like that until you start your 2-3 week taper. Remember, if you are only a good fighter when you are fresh then you are NOT a good fighter. Workouts like this one don't happen too often, so use it as a training tool.

Are you in MMA class for recreational purposes or to fight competitively?

Poethics
slizzardman said:

1) I think that what you are doing is smart. Keep with the 3x3 and cut your rest to 2:45 next time this comes around. What will happen, over time, is that you'll be doing 3x3 with around 10 seconds rest. At that point you are pretty much doing 9 reps straight, which is almost the full 10. You can probably imagine how much stronger you will be, as many of our strong members here struggle to complete 1x10! I am essentially using this same approach, and it works well.

2) How is your stomach to wall HS? If you can't hold for 60s at least, you should work wall HS sets instead of the HS wall runs. 60s wall handstand is considered a bare minimum hold for starting the HS wall runs, and working to hard on wall runs prematurely will work against you rather than for you.

As far as MMA class is concerned, having tired shoulders and triceps won't be the end of the world. When you're striking your arms should be very loose and relaxed. You shouldn't really be getting tired from striking if you're doing it right, but most places don't specifically drill relaxed punching. It is a skill that does not come naturally to most people. When you're wrestling around you will be forced to use more technique and less strength if you're tired, and that will make you a better ground fighter.

The only time you'd want to start backing off is when you are either doing lots of lifting outside of the WODs or you are in a fight cycle, but even then you won't need to worry about things like that until you start your 2-3 week taper. Remember, if you are only a good fighter when you are fresh then you are NOT a good fighter. Workouts like this one don't happen too often, so use it as a training tool.

Are you in MMA class for recreational purposes or to fight competitively?

Thanks for the Cast Wall Walk advice. I'll be doing 1x10 in no time! ;)

I'll test my stomach to wall Wall HS tomorrow morning; If it's not steady after 60s, I'll switch to working on that. I guess then HS Wall Runs are replaced with holding a Wall HS in the Walking HSPU Ladder? If so, for how long should I hold the Wall HS after the HSPU varitation? Or should I just concentrate on Wall HS until I'm ready for HS Wall Runs and then do the ladders?

Recreational right now, but I have an inner fire that wants to compete in sports again and MMA is the only interesting sport right now. That's why I'm doing MMA + WOD + Running: Finding out if I have it in me. Enjoying it so far. :)

Joshua Naterman

Sounds fun!

I believe you should be doing sets of half your max hold, but you may want to drop that to 1/3 since you will be doing so much shoulder work with the HSPU ladders.

Note: I have developed a simple beginning self spot method for HS press, and even with the enormous assist it gives I feel like a total wuss. I can barely hold myself up, and my shoulders tremble like crazy. The HeSPU presses are too easy, and the wall presses are difficult to do because my center of gravity seems to always be behind my hands. So, in a moment of curiosity, I set a truck strap at hip height and I bend over that to do HS press work assisted by it. I have never felt anything in my upper back or shoulders quite like it, being able to do a HS press must feel amazing! Just two of these was all I could do, even in a straight leg straddle. I did do wall tuck presses before this, and will continue to do this. I have to work on my shoulder flexibility a LOT. :)

Due to unavoidable activities earlier in the day I am too shot to do a proper HSPU ladder.

My wod:

FSP warm up

2x40 straight arm swings to horizontal on PB

pike HeS press x 10

5,3,2 cast wall walks 30s rest between each set.

7x tuck wall HS press

2x2 strap spotted HS straddle press.

I will try and do the HeSPU ladder later on this evening and see how that goes, but I feel weak. I may just do a few sets of HeSPU.

Tyler Schmitz

Today's WOD:

1x10 Cast Wall Walks

Rest 2 min

1x5 HS Straddle Press Negatives

Rest 2 min

1x5 Wall HS Press

Rest 1.5 min

1x5 Wall HS Press

Rest 5 min

3 x 4 rungs of HSPU Ladders

Rest 5 min at top and bottom of ladder

Finished with 2 x 10 Wrist Pushups with feet elevated

a.ramz

Hi Guys!

I have been following the WODS for about 6 weeks and it has been the best solution for my strength! I consider myself an absolute beginner in terms of bodyweight strength (about 4 full ROM dips and 6 pullups). What should a beginner like me do when a workout, like this one, calls for HeSPUs? Wouldn't it make sense to work my dips, as they are a pre-req to starting hespus?

Thanks!

Coach Sommer
Poethics said:
... I'm very weak in the HS Wall Runs and I've previously done them in a Box HS position ...

Very good.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Coach Sommer
a.ramz said:
What should a beginner like me do when a workout, like this one, calls for HeSPUs? Wouldn't it make sense to work my dips, as they are a pre-req to starting hespus?

Try this scaled down HeSPU variation: beginning from a standing position bend over and place your hands on the ground in a pike position. Now perform your HeSPU. To control the intensity of this movement; simply remember that the farther your hands are from your feet the lower the intensity.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

a.ramz

Got it coach! Thank you.

Eddie Stelling

I still can not see the light at the end of the tunnel with these HS presses! Extremely difficult. On the HSPU ladder, what comes after HeSPU? Do you move to a full ROM HSPU? Last night my ladder went as such:

2 box HeSPU

6 HS Wall Runs

2 Negative HeSPU (on the wall)

6 HS Wall Runs

2 HeSPU (belly on wall)

6 HS Wall Runs

2 Negative HeSPU (freestanding)

6 HS Wall Runs

I wasn't sure what to after the HeSPU so I went with the freestanding negatives. Not sure what comes next.

Joshua Naterman

Do you have the book? There is a detailed HSPU progression in there.

Christian Sørlie

Todays WOD

WU:

Shoulder stretches

FSP all 6 scales

WO:

10 Cast wall walks (4,3,3,1)

5 Wall press HS piked

5 Wall press HS straddle

10 HeS press stradde (5,5)

5 rounds of the ladder

Should have read the description of the ladder better, did it like this:

6 steps Wall runs

half HeSPU

6 steps Wall runs

HeSPU

6 steps Wall runs

half HeSPU

6 steps Wall runs

All in one go... 5 rounds of that. Thought you were supposed to be in a handstand the entire ladder round...

Note to self: read description better :D

Then 15 mins of handstand pratice and a bit of shoulder stands on rings pratice. Getting the balance on those better now.

Stu

Would frog stand -> handstand be an acceptable scaled down substitute for the pike box press?

Max Johnson

Warmup:

Jumprope, shoulder circles/shrugs

Wrist series (palm down/up leans, 1x10 knee pushups of: dorsal, wrist, first knuckle, finger, fingertip hopping)

FSP warmup:

2x (30s Straddle-L + 25s Tuck FL)

2x (30s Frogstand + 30s Reverse Pushup)

2x (25s Bent L-sit + 10s Unassisted German Hang)

WOD:

2x5 Cast Wall Walks

1x5 Pike Box Press HS (6″ box)

1x8 Straddle Box Press HS (6″ box)

3 rungs of Walking HeSPU Ladders (with 2/2/1/2/1/2 not-quite-full-ROM HeSPU)

2x10 Wrist Pushups

Cooldown:

Ido's Scapular Mobilization Routine

Notes:

  • [*:3a0r5ecw]HeSPU ladders have got easier since the last time I did them - I tried 3 rungs today, which was somewhat naughty as I can't quite do a full ROM HeSPU, but I didn't have time for 5 rungs.
    [*:3a0r5ecw]At last! 2x10 Wrist Pushups!

Kenneth Manning

Cast wall walks 7+3+3

Press HeS (head on 7" block) x5,5,4

Straddle press HeS x 10

HS pu ladder 4 sets:

Box HeS pu x 4

HeS pu negatives x 2

partial range HeS pu x 2

2x10 wrist pushups on knees

Quick Start Test Smith

I don't have BtGB yet, so I couldn't figure out what some of these exercises were. I replaced them with exercises that I thought were most similar...

My WOD:

3 x 20 Wall Hand Stand

1 x 5 HSPU with feet elevated on table/box

1 x 7 PB dips

Finisher: 2 x 10 Knuckle Push Ups on wood floor

When I get the book, it will be easier for me to find the progressions. I still enjoy these WODs, though. :D

certaintragedy

Thanks again slizz your videos are so informative. They help bring the text descriptions to life :)

Joshua Naterman

You are welcome!