This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Kolacz - Progress and Goals

Started by Dillon Kolacz, October 25, 2010 · 1 Replies · 514 Views

Dillon Kolacz

Hey guys I'm new to the forum, but I've been lurking for quite a while. I started reading Coach Sommer's articles sometime last year, but I didn't start trying to train Gymnastics until May of this year. Last May I found out that the college that I'll be attending next year, UT in Austin, has a Gymnastics club. I already hated working out with weights, so I turned back to the articles that I read a while ago and started to train. I'm a naturally competitive guy so I don't miss workouts etc and I've very driven. I stuck to Coach Sommer's progressions and this is what I have so far. :D

I am not able to have a rings set, so I have never touched them before.

These are my current stats.

Height: 5'11

Weight: 140

Age: 18

Planche

I can hold a regular Planche Tuck for 45 seconds.

Middle Split Hold

Right now I'm doing 25s 25s 10s with 45 second breaks in between.

L-Sit

I can hold this positions for a full minute. (I've started doing L-sit lifts. I read about them on here and watched the video)

Front Lever

Right now I'm doing 30s 30s regular tuck. (these are my favorite)

Back Lever

I wasn't able to do them on my last pull-up bar so I haven't started them yet! I just bought a new portable bar that I can place in my room so I'll be starting these as soon as possible :).

Hand Stands

I can hold a free-standing hand stand for 10 seconds, but I always lose my balance right at 10 seconds lol. This is only a recent thing though :). I still am training with my stomach to wall twice a week. I read about doing handstand stand against a wall for 10 minutes. I can only hold one against the wall for 3-minutes at the moment.

Sitting to Handstand

Three weeks ago I randomly discovered that I could go from a frog position to handstand lol. I added them into my routine twice a week. :)

Stretches

I have always been a little inflexible. When I try to touch my toes it takes a lot of effort lol. I stretch six times a week now.

Actual Routine. (Current)

Thursday - I do core and legs.

I'm on a bodyweight vertical jump training program for the fun of it. It's takes around 6 months to finish. I started it about a month ago. After I'm finished I do Bodyweight hamstring curl. I anchor my feet under my bed and do them myself. I'm not able to go all the way to the ground yet.

Core stuff on Thursdays is stuff with weights. I do sidebends for obliques and weight crunches/clams for upper abs.

Friday - I do Handstands/Arms/Gymnastics abilities

3 Minute Handstand against wall

3 Frog to Handstand

Weighted Curls/Weighted overhead extension.

Pullups

Planche training/L-lifts/Manna training/Front Lever training

Saturday - Leg program/Hamstring curls

Sunday - Gymnastics abilities/back/lats

Planche training/L-lifts/Manna training/Front lever training

Chinups/Bent over rows

Monday - Legs Program/Hamstring/forearm

For forearms I usually do wrist curls and wrist twists.

Tuesday - Handstands/Gymnastics ablities/Chest

I do 3-minute Handstands against wall

3 Frog to Handstand

Planche Training/L-lifts/Manna Training/ Front Lever training

Bench Press and Pushups

Wednesday - Break Day

I'm very grateful for this website because I love to learn how to improve on myself :). Thank you Coach Sommer and everyone who has written articles.

Skills that I'd like to learn besides from what I'm currently training on

Back Lever

(I don't know what this skill is called. It's where you put your hands on the ground in front of you with your legs straight and shift your weight on them and slowly raise your legs up into a handstand.)

I don't know how to tumble! lol

I'd appreciate you all to give me your opinions on my schedule and progress :).

*I'd like to add that I don't necessarily like using weights for Chest/upper Back/Forearms, but I feel like if I stop using weights I'll lose the strength that I've gained. I'd like to learn more about what exercises I could use to replace bench/bent over rows. :)

Razz

What you want to learn is a press HS :)

Besides that I'd say you should do the WODs, they are really the best program out there for all around gymnastics strength and it's the same WODs coach is giving his students.