Any of you do standing rollouts, or jackknives on rings?

Started by Timy7, October 24, 2010 · 4 Replies · 2,557 Views

Timy7

Just curious how you all feel about this exercise in terms of abdominal and lower back strength? Or is the HLL better?

I have no stall balls, so HLL feels lacking done just from a pullup bar. I have however worked up to one arm standing rollouts for 3-5 reps each arm.

Philip Chubb

If you like them, then do both. I'm sure they help each other in some way. Or master the rollouts (one arm with straight legs) and then switch them for HLL. As for jacknives on the rings, I'm not sure if I am certain on what you're talking about but if I am, I think I saw one of Coach's athletes doing them on the rings. It was in the background on one of the videos though. Maybe the cranks one? I have tried it. It is brutal.

Neal Winkler

You're a beast, Timy.

Standing rollouts are an amazing core exercise.

The HLL's you have to be very conscious not to move your shoulders behind the bar. If they are not doing much for you, add weight to the ankles.I add weight, I have a stall bar, and I'm not as strong as you.

Don't forget you can add weight to the others exerises as well.

Coach Sommer

If you lack access to stall bars, you may also limit the degree of shoulder girdle action involved by either using a double under-grip for the HLL or simply performing them one arm at a time.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joshua Naterman

These two exercises are a bit different, but both are good. HLL is hardest in the ROM where the roll outs get easier, it seems like.

If you don't want to build a full set of stall bars you COULD just install a bar hanging from ceiling joists about 4 inches from your favorite wall! You could also just install it on the wall itself. Either way you could then use the wall to do the same thing as stall bars will. You won't be able to do RLL or anything like that, but it's a very small yet effective HLL set up.