Supplements for joint health

Started by Jonathan Mead, October 23, 2010 · 9 Replies · 4,905 Views

Jonathan Mead

I've been taking MSM for the past year or so for joint health, but now that I'm training more seriously, I want to start being more calculated about supplementing for joint health.

I've heard that bromelain has great benefits for reducing inflamation, joint repair and increasing assimilation of protein. Has anyone had success with it long term?

I'm also thinking about taking a more comprehensive joint health formula, like glucosamine, msm, and chondroitin. Any thoughts on this?

Any other thoughts on improving joint health through supplementation (not prehab, rehab, etc which is of course very important)?

Neal Winkler

Glucosamine + Chondroitin, to my knowledge, has never been investigated in preventing joint pain/deterioration in already healthy joints. The research is mixed. It works for some people, for some joints, and so forth but not universally.

yuri marmerstein

bromelain, gelatin, eating chicken cartilage, etc also work

Jonathan Mead

Well I guess it's just bromelain for me then, since I don't consume animal products. Any thoughts on turmeric? I know it's supposed to help with inflammation, but is this just a temporary kind of fix?

Jonathan Mead

Well I just bought a Bromelain supplement, so I'll be trying it out over the next 30 days and report how it works for me.

Felipe
trianglechoke7 said:
Glucosamine + Chondroitin, to my knowledge, has never been investigated in preventing joint pain/deterioration in already healthy joints. The research is mixed. It works for some people, for some joints, and so forth but not universally.

Taken for 1 month, I dubt it worked (I stopped for 6 months, a knee cartilage problem at 15y caused by the dangerous leg extension which I will never use again, now I can safely squat my bodyweight without any pain)

Freeflyer

Microlactin, check it out. Much more effective that glucosamine

Blairbob

I heard that bone marrow was good. This was from a chinese medicine perspective.

Cresta

So what is it? It seems everyone takes something different. I messed up my right knee when I was a teenager. When I kneel, it has a tendency to slip or dislocate and I have to pop it back in. It's a very painful experience and has happened maybe 5-times in my life. I am usually able to catch it before it slips and straighten my leg out. I think one of these supplements may help me as my knee does get sore after riding my bike or walking for a long period of time.

Aaron Griffin

You really think pills are going to help something like that?