What's the deal with this form of yoga? I think it's looks pretty cool. Seems to have less emphasis on holding static positions, at least from this video.
sjUBwr8DiwM
Started by Neal Winkler, October 20, 2010 · 6 Replies · 3,478 Views
What's the deal with this form of yoga? I think it's looks pretty cool. Seems to have less emphasis on holding static positions, at least from this video.
sjUBwr8DiwM

What's the deal with Shadow Yoga?
Well I sure as hell wouldn't mind doing some shadow yoga with that instructor :shock: Sorry couldn't help it ![]()
Hey Triangle,
Shadow Yoga is a style of hatha yoga developed by Shandor Remete, a long-time student of BKS Iyengar.
He drew from various yoga systems, martial arts, and various forms of dance, Indian and otherwise, when developing the different Shadow yoga sequences.
It's very fluid and doesn't use the traditional sun salutation as its departure point. Many of the forms use as their basis a horse-stance.
This is not the style of yoga I practice, but from my perspective, it appears to address the fundamental need in many Westerners for hip mobility and strength.
I'm not sure where you're located, but if you can find a teacher, you ought to check it out.
best,
jason
Jason,
I found the website and all the studios that practice shadow yoga are no where near me! ![]()
I'm still most impressed with the Method deRose. Jutajata from here is into that stuff and man do those people have some serious hand balancing skills...
Ido would be a good person to ask about the practice, as he's studied quite a bit under a teacher in Israel. I love the preludes and have used them in warm up for a couple years now. Be sure to pick up Remete's Shadow Yoga theory book--it explains a lot about the why's and processes involved. One thing to note, though, is Ido did make a comment once about that being a rather extremist school. I haven't studied sufficiently under a proper teacher to agree or disagree with that.