slizzardman said:I can tell you that specific toe flexion resistance training, rolling of the bottom of the foot, and possibly use of a metatarsal arch support for a while during rehab to reposition the bones while you develop foot strength (I know, that sounds funny to me too) and stability with the exercises I will describe will make an enormous difference. I have fixed my falling arches permanently with this. Running and jumping rope in my five fingers also helps a ton, but my arches were already pretty well fixed when that started.Exercises:
1) resisted toe flexion. Get a piece of 1/2 inch PVC or maybe even 1/2" copper which is a bit thinner. You can use anything that's about .5" thick and at least 4" long. Tie some sort of string to the center of whatever you are using so that it has a loop on it. Now attach light bands or even regular rubber bands to this loop and to an anchor point. Could be under your other heel or around a chair leg or couch leg, whatever it is just needs to stay stationary however you make that work. Now you take your right foor (for example) and put the pipe or whatever under your toes, drag it until there's a bit of stretch on the bands, and then plant your heel firmly and use your toes and the bottom of your foot to do curls. Work with fairly high reps, starting with maybe 10-20 and working up to 50-ish. Then add resistance until your reps drop to around 15-20 and work up to 50 again. Do with both feet. This strengthens the intrinsic muscles of the foot that help maintain your arch by providing compressive force that keeps the bones in place and allows the foot to act as a spring.
2) resisted inversion with dorsiflexion. Put your right heel on a bench or chair while standing, with most of the foot hanging off. Hang a book bag or plastic bag or whatever off of the top of your foot with the toes pointed and out to the side a bit. Now point your knee about 30-40 degrees to the right. Now, without moving your knee, pull the top of your foot towards the ceiling. This will cause dorsiflexion AND inversion. This strengthens tibialis posterior, which helps support the medial arch of the foot at the navicular bone by pulling directly up.
3) Resisted eversion with dorsiflexion. Same instructions as #2, but instead of pointing the right knee to the right you will point it to the left. You will find yourself in a sort of modified side kick position. Now lift the top of your foot straight towards the ceiling. This will cause eversion with dorsiflexion. This strengthens the peroneal muscles, which help support the arch from the inside to the outside of your foot and also protect you from the most common ankle sprains.
Same reps for 2&3 as #1, leg can be bent or straight however you like it. Add resistance in the same fashion.
Slizzardman,
great post! I just tried the first exercise and I love it.. Thanks a lot! I will definitely add this to my exercise regimen.
I've already started doing eversion + dorsiflexion and inversion + dorsiflexion exercises similar to the ones you mentioned and I think they are very important for ankle prehab.