Press handstands

Started by Robert Charlton, October 19, 2010 · 8 Replies · 3,114 Views

Robert Charlton

if you only worked planche press HS with 3s pauses, could you eventually achieve a full planche without the 60s method???

Philip Chubb

I don't think it is impossible, but it is not optimal. The progressions and spending time in the planche allow you to strengthen not just the muscles, but the connective tissues that hold them together. Skipping the progressions wouldn't allow these to have time to catch up because they recover much slower than muscle. You may eventually gain the strength to with that method. But it doesn't mean your connective tissues would be able to. There is really no substitute for going through the progressions. I hope that answered your question.

Joshua Naterman

I really don't even know what is meant by the question, honestly. Could the OP be more specific as to what he/she is thinking and what the hypothetical implementation would be?

Sternford

How could you do a planche press without being able to do a planche. Do you mean negatives?

Joshua Naterman

:lol: I know he was asking THAT, but WHAT he is asking makes no sense to me. You can't really do a planche press HS without being able to get to planche. I suppose if you slowly increased the ROM that would be POSSIBLE, but I don't know how bad of an idea it is.

A major problem with this method is that you do not have a very good way to control the intensity of the movement. Because of the leverages involved, acceleration and body extension are both going to cause a huge variability in forces and I have no idea what would be safe to start with.

I mean, you CAN do a lot of things, but most things you CAN do are terrible ideas. So far, everyone's attempt to make a shortcut ends in abject failure. No matter what you do, you can not speed up the adaptation of the body's connective tissues. That will always be your limiting factor. There is such a detailed progression for developing planche, which involves other FSP as well, that I can actually see this hypothetical approach as being directly counter-productive and leading to injury.

Edit: as Dillon's post below suggests, doing the two together may well be a great idea as long as you don't push too hard, but I can see you getting hurt with just the handstand press method. Either way, whatever you try let us know what happens!

Sternford

Haha, by "you" I was asking the op, sorry.

Dillon Zrike

Follow the progressions. Planche presses are an excellent exercise, but I would recommend having a decent planche first. Rereading your post it sounds like you are holding a 3 second pause before pressing. If this is the case why not work both presses and holds? Both exercises will compliment each other very well.

Robert Charlton

Thankyou for the replies, specially to Zrike and slizzardman.

yes, i worded it wrong but thankyou slizzardman you understood :)

i mean't pressing to HS from planche progressions such as adv tuck PL to HS. so you go down in neg, hold, and press back up.

i just feel the 60s static method to be no were near as fun as this :)

but will it really cause damage???? :cry:

Dillon Zrike

Results will not be optimum compared to the static hold progressions when it comes to getting a solid planche, but it may be a nice supplementary exercise!