Planche hand placement

Started by Nic Scheelings, October 19, 2010 · 12 Replies · 3,744 Views

Nic Scheelings

Hi all,

I just want to get some feedback on the hand placement I'm using for the planche in the following vid. Specifically the width of the hand placement. I've been experimenting a little bit and feel slightly stronger in this position but I'm not sure if it's too wide or not. Generally I find planche way easier on p-bars and i'm just trying to find an optimal hand positioning for the floor. I know planche isn't perfect here, hips are a little piked but i'm sore from last nights WOD! :D

Also I've never seen myself planche from the front before, looks like my heads about to explode!

Note to self : breathe

Any feedback appreciated.

Cheers

IIW1oyT4zBM

Kiyoshi

woa good job :)

Dillon Zrike

Good job that's an awesome planche! Hand placement is completely up to your preference. I like that your hands are turned but besides that width and such is up to you. I will say your hips are a little piked, but then again I do that too :wink: Just something to think about.

Nic Scheelings

Thanks very much for the kind comments :oops:

So it's not too wide? I feel its a much stronger position for me so i think it'll be my preferred method from now on. Yeah I know about the hips i think i'm focusing so much on pushing the floor i sometimes forget to tense my legs much. The turned hands is now how I prefer to do it, hands forwards is murder on the wrists, and mine aren't too flexible to start with.

Great to hear comments from u Dillon even tho I've never met you I understand your pretty dam good at this stuff, so great to have your insight.

Cheers

Guest

Inspirational as always, Demus. Slightly offtopic: I remember you posting the HS alignment video. How's that coming along? I seem to have the same issues with a slight lean towards my left side even though I feel as if I fully extend my arms/shoulders. I was wondering what you did to improve your HS form. Thanks a lot!

Nic Scheelings

Hi Biomeg,

The HS allignment is still something I haven't completely fixed to be honest. Especially when I'm tired I seem to lean more so it prob did have something to do with my shoulders but i think it also had something to do with my hips. I really haven't done a lot of handbalancing of late due to being too busy with uni, and to get better I need to spend a lot more time on it that I just don't have. When I finish exams I'm gonna up the HS work I still want the one arm but it's prob further away now.

Thanks for the commment

Razz

You often see rings guys do slightly wider than shoulder width planches, like the one you just did.

Tarun Suri

Immediately thought of this when I I saw your planche from the front:

38210_k3clh4chsr_l.jpg

Michael Traynor

Good work :)

Joshua Naterman

:lol: @ Havoc!

That's pretty awesome, Demus! Out of curiosity, how is your rings planche?

Nic Scheelings

Thanks guys!

Slizz:

Not bad for my rings planche, focused a lot on it lately. I do my FSP warmup with rings planche and lever. My best effort rings straddle planche is good enough but it is more inconsistent. Learning to turn my hands on the floor made a big difference to my ability on the rings.

Joshua Naterman

Excellent! I always thought there would be a much stronger carryover to the rings from hands backwards floor PL as opposed to hands to the sides or forward. This has been your experience, yes?

Nic Scheelings

Yeah definitely makes the transition to rings easier