This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 101019

Started by Coach Sommer, October 19, 2010 · 21 Replies · 3,115 Views

Coach Sommer

Perform the following:

3 sets of: MU, XR L-sit, XR Tuck PL, XR L-sit, press to shoulder stand, roll back to 2 Tick Tocks

5x15 seconds FL

5x15 seconds XR L-sit

5x15 seconds German Hang

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions.

notes:

1) As much as possible, the ring strength series should be performed as a single set, uninterrupted by stops or rests.

2) Strive to perform the MUs with an emphasis on strength; keeping the kipping minimized or preferably eliminated all together. Be especially conscientious in locking your arms and turning out the rings at the top of each repetition.

3) Progressions for developing the XR shoulder stand are found in the Basic Rings Strength 3 essay.

4) Choose the most challenging BL & FL variations that you are capable of using during the Tick Tocks.

5) Rest 3-5 minutes between ring strength sets.

6) Complete all 3 sets of the ring strength series prior to beginning the static hold position sets.

7) Perform the static hold sets as a single giant set; perform a set of FL and then move immediately to the XR L-sit and then move immediately to the German Hang.

8 ) A short rest (30-60 sec) is allowed during the static hold positions work only after a single giant set has been completed.

Kiyoshi

haha well that was easy

Michael Traynor

scale it up then o.O

Kiyoshi
Breaks said:
scale it up then o.O

I did it full scale though.

Michael Traynor

Then add more reps and longer holds. Nothing should be easy for you if it is it's your fault not Coaches ;P

If you are doing everything the the highest scale, then add in multiple reps of perfect forms MUs, multiple XR press HS etc etc

Kenneth Manning

Todays WOD:

4 sets of: 3MU-->L sit-->tuck shoulder stand-->L sit-->backward roll-->2 tick tocks (full BL, adv tuck FL)

5 sets of 15 sec each of:

adv tuck FL

(+2-3 SEC BL)

german hang

XR L sit (low) [last 2 sets did bent leg XR L sit]

2x10 wall extensions

*did extra set and extra mu's because I was unable to execute anything resembling a decent tuck planche on the rings.

Workout felt very good today.

kevinrohrbach

WU:

  • 2x 10 Burpees + 5 pullups + 5 Samson Stretches
    General joint mobility
    Ido's Scapular mobility routine
    Ido's squatting clinic
    Wrist mobility routine

FSP:

  • 2x 30s elevated bent-knee v-straddle + tuck FL XR
    2x 30s adv. Frog + MSH bent
    2x 30s LS XR tuck + tuck BL XR

Workout:

3x Jumping MU, LS, tuck PL (got as far as transitioning weight forward keeping legs piked), LS, shoulder press (standing shoulder placement), 2 tick tocks (adv. tuck one leg extended)

5x 15s: adv. tuck FL, XR LS low, German hang

2x10 Wall extensions

Comments:

  • •What does one do when the ring-strength series is clearly over one's ability? I tried to make do, but had the feeling that even so it was way above my strength and so became fragmented. Do I downgrade to another ring series?
    •Wall extensions already going much better. Thanks so much for this mobility exercise. I have a special interest in this kind of stuff since I'm planning to study physiotherapy beginning next autumn. I'm loving this functional fitness/healthy mobility thing!

Justin Kyle

WU: 6x10sec tuck planche holds on floor (these were hard due to yesterdays WOD)

Press HS work - L-sit press to stand on p-bars. Standing pike press handstand negatives

Todays WOD:

3 sets of:

1MU, L-sit press to tuck planche, L-sit press to shoulderstand, 2 tick tocks (adv. tuck BL/FL)

5 sets of:

15 sec adv. tuck FL

15 sec XR L-sit

15 sec german hang

2x10 wall extensions

-My shoulders and traps were destroyed from yesterdays WOD. The german hangs felt really nice ha. Hey Killroy, what does your FSP warm up look like now? Do you do any planche training still? Just curious

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

Tired from yesterday today was hard for me.

WU:

1000m Row

12 Shoulder Dislocate

6 SLS (3/Leg)

2 MUs

12 Pushups

FSP:

1 x 1 Straddle L (PB Low; 20s)

1 x 1 Planche (Frog; 20s)

1 x 1 Manna (PB Bent; 15s)

1 x 1 Back Lever (Straddle; 10s)

WOD:

3 sets: 2MU -> XR L-Sit -> Forward Roll MU -> XR L-Sit -> Shoulder Stand -> Roll back and do two tick tocs (Straddle BL, Flat Tuck FL).

5 x 15s Front Lever (Tuck)

5 x 15s L-Sit (PB Low)

5 x 15s German Hang

Finish with 2 x 10 Wall Extensions. Shoulder Drills & Stretch.

Tyler Schmitz

Today's WOD:

3 sets of: 3 MU, XR L-sit, XR Tuck PL, XR L-sit, Press to Shoulder stand, Roll back to 2 tick tocks (FL in tuck, Full BL)

Rested 5 min bet. each set

5 rds of:

15 sec Advanced tuck FL

15 sec XR L-Sit

15 sec German Hang

Rested 1 min bet. rds

Finished with 2 x 10 Wall Extensions on floor

Camcorder was out of battery so couldn't record today's WOD

j4b

3mi run

3 sets of: 2 Galimores (tuck), XR L-sit, XR Tuck PL, XR L-sit, Press to Shoulder stand, Roll back to 2 tick tocks (straddle FL, Full BL*)

*from the last time we did BL I tried a straddle with my palms turned down...think I hyper-extended it a little :\ it's been hurting when I lock my arm out. I can do a full back lever with palms up, but only an adv tuck palms down; today I just did the former. Just going to lay off the palms down stuff until it heals. When will my biceps be stronger! Grr...

5 rds of:

15 tuck PL

15 sec Advanced tuck FL

15 sec XR L-Sit

15 sec BL (palms up adv tuck)

2x 7 ring flys (from knees, made sure there was no elbow pain)

Kenneth Manning

Hey Ooden,

Unfortunately my FSP training has been sporadic at best lately. Since I started the WODs (this past June I believe) I haven't been in as a strict a FSP routine as I was before. I live and work on my family's dairy farm (and ice cream and milk business) in northeast PA, USA, and if you know anything about farming, you know that it takes a TON of work (i.e. lots of hours). So, in doing the WODs, I have had less time to devote to FSP training due to the fact that I generally work around 80 hours a week. Previously I had a set, pre-programmed schedule of FSP training and lately I've been trying to fit it here and there around the WODs.

I will say that I got a good idea from Slizzardman about using a timed 10 minute FSP warm up prior to each WOD. I've been doing this for about 3 weeks now. Generally, I go through 5 rounds of FSP training, increasing the difficulty from rounds 1-3 and then remaining at the "level 3" (whatever round 3 was) for the last 2 rounds. I take very little rest and am just really trying to get some targeted, focused FSP training in. It usually looks something like:

A1) adv frog stand (15 sec), adv FS (15 sec), tuck planche (10 sec) x 3

A2) adv tuck BL (15 sec), straddle BL (10 sec), full lay BL (8 sec) x 3

A3) adv tuck FL (15 sec) x 2, straddle FL (7 sec) x 3

A3) L sit (10 sec) x 3, straddle L bent legs (10 sec) x 3

I really breeze through these and should probably be putting in more time but that's been tough lately. We're getting into the "slow time" of our business and I plan on re-focusing on some of FSP work very soon. As an aside, my planche work has always seriously lagged behind everything else. I can hold a full BL for at least 15 sec, a half lay FL for 5 sec, but STILL can't bring my hips up to shoulder level in a tuck planche. I'm tall (6'2") but that shouldn't be too much of an issue in the tuck position.

With the variety of exercises we do in the WODs I sometimes feel overwhelmed by everything I need to work on/improve!!

Justin Kyle

Man, great job Killroy! I'm encouraged that you make time to exercise despite an 80 hour a week job. Especially a taxing job like farming. That's awesome. Thank you for your response as well! I am almost threw with my 8 week cycle at the end of this week. This will be my first cycle doing the WOD and man are these things tough. I know what you mean when you say that there is so much you want to improve with all of the exercises the WOD provides. Do you enjoy the method Slizzardman proposed better than the stricter one you used to do as far as progress goes? Currently my FSP warmups consist of:

2x30sec L-sit

6x10 sec tuck planche (or sometimes PPP's or another dynamic movement)

4x15 sec adv tuck FL (sometimes FL pulls instead)

4x10 sec straddle BL

-Feel free to critique this or post any tips that you might have to make this FSP warmup better. I would be very thankful since a new cycle is right around the corner. God bless guys

James Portillo

If you cannot yet do a muscle-up + the current ring strength series how would you substitute that? For example, I know that I'm going to have to start at basic ring 1 but I cannot do a muscle up--I remember reading to substitute muscle ups with 3 pull ups and 3 dips but how would I incorporate that into the ring strength series? Maybe 3 ring dips + slow negative muscle up transition then 3 pull ups? (although I might not have enough room for pull ups due to rings hanging on doorway pull up bar).

A small note, I actually really enjoy ring WODs which are more fun to me than tiring.

Kiyoshi
Breaks said:
Then add more reps and longer holds. Nothing should be easy for you if it is it's your fault not Coaches ;P

If you are doing everything the the highest scale, then add in multiple reps of perfect forms MUs, multiple XR press HS etc etc

I just did what Coach prescribed. I guess I should have upped the intensity for it.

Joshua Naterman

Now you know! I'm doing this tomorrow morning, I felt like I needed the rest today. I can't wait!

Joshua Naterman
JamesP said:
If you cannot yet do a muscle-up + the current ring strength series how would you substitute that? For example, I know that I'm going to have to start at basic ring 1 but I cannot do a muscle up--I remember reading to substitute muscle ups with 3 pull ups and 3 dips but how would I incorporate that into the ring strength series? Maybe 3 ring dips + slow negative muscle up transition then 3 pull ups? (although I might not have enough room for pull ups due to rings hanging on doorway pull up bar).

A small note, I actually really enjoy ring WODs which are more fun to me than tiring.

You could certainly do 3 negative muscle ups, and do them as slowly as you can. From what Dillon was saying Coach likes 30s negatives, and that would certainly build massive strength throughout the ROM. At first I'd probably go for 5-10s negatives and add a few seconds every week or two, and I'd only do that for 1 strength series UNLESS you are very strong in your false grip pull ups and XR dip progressions. By very strong I mean you can do at least 5 false grip pull ups from a dead hang with rings turned out to the top of the pull up with your elbows almost halfway through the transition. That's super hard, at least for me right now, and while I can certainly muscle up it will mess with my elbows. Until I have built up the ability to do those false grip pull ups with the bottom half of the transition and deep dips with the top half of the transition I won't worry about trying to work actual MU or even negatives. I don't know if that is the preferred way to do things, but I know it works very well for me. I like to build the individual parts of a movement, then start building strength in key parts of the ROM with isometrics and negatives, and finally start working the actual movement itself. This is especially useful with the combined press-pulls.

Working that single negative after your 3 dips could be great too, just make it a really slow one!

Cole Dano
JamesP said:
If you cannot yet do a muscle-up + the current ring strength series how would you substitute that? For example, I know that I'm going to have to start at basic ring 1 but I cannot do a muscle up--I remember reading to substitute muscle ups with 3 pull ups and 3 dips but how would I incorporate that into the ring strength series? Maybe 3 ring dips + slow negative muscle up transition then 3 pull ups? (although I might not have enough room for pull ups due to rings hanging on doorway pull up bar).

A small note, I actually really enjoy ring WODs which are more fun to me than tiring.

The MU is a ways off for me, i do some variation of this-

Ring Strength 1 (in that write up Coach states he wants his athletes to be able to do 3 MUs before proceeding on to other ring series) with the best false grip pull up, hop up to support and a MU neg i can muster, nice and slow in the dip neg from there it is still more of a drop but getting better. From there continue with the RS 1.

After the ring strength WOD i will do the Slizz pull up progression as thats where i need the most assistance work right now.

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2362&p=15197&hilit=wide+grip+pull+up#p15197

Joshua Naterman

All right! Well, it seems that despite my efforts to perform a tuck PL I ended up in Adv Tuck. I also held just about every single static too long in the 5 rounds after the strength series! No wonder that was hard!

I am publishing the vids, along with many others that have been sitting around gathering digital dust.

Artaho

How exactly do you perform a Tick Tock?

Christian Sørlie

Tick Tocks are like the 360 pulls on the video from the 101021 WOD, except you begin in inverted hang and only lower to a FL and then pull to a BL. Without the going to full hang on FL and German hang on the BL.

Artaho

Thanks Christian. Man I'm about 1week behind becuz I hurt my shoulder/tendon so Today was dis workout for me. Man dis was a joint killer for me, but I love doing these kind of routine workouts. Still can't shoulder stand, but when try'n today I did a shoulder stand forward roll was fun/scary :P Thanks Coach for these workouts