Flysprings

Started by jamesters, October 16, 2010 · 5 Replies · 2,766 Views

jamesters

Quick question, I just want to know if flysprings are possible to do on grass (or otherwise non-plyometric flooring)? It seems the plyo would have quite an effect on rebounding for this skill and I just wonder if it could still be on grass without that help. I've never seen this skill done on grass. This is the best video I could find.

liO4SBQbFWs

I've been attempting it but it's too soon to tell for me if I'll be capable of it with practice.

Blairbob

Yes, but the harder and more unforgiving the surface, the technique will alter based on power of the individual.

Seiji

I don't understand flysprings. Do you block with your hands or do you rebound out of a low front layout type thing?

Dillon Zrike

Rotate the first handspring as much as possible. You want to get to the point that if you don't put your hands down for another handspring you will fall over. If you get that it is simple. Reach your hands out in front of you, block, and there's your flyspring.

Blairbob

A flyspring is just a front handspring off two feet. You can jump into it or rebound into it. Start hollow, hit on hands, snap to arch and drive heels over while blocking and opening up shoulder.

Michael Traynor
Dillon Zrike said:
Rotate the first handspring as much as possible. You want to get to the point that if you don't put your hands down for another handspring you will fall over. If you get that it is simple. Reach your hands out in front of you, block, and there's your flyspring.

Exactly,

At a recent coaching seminar on tumbling the Tutor said so many tumbling elements are made harder by people not landing offbalance which seem counter intuitive e.g. Round Off into Back Hand Spring, as coaches we are tempted to teach a round off to land balanced for safety but a round off is a round off-balance, hence the name, you must do the element with momentum travelling in the direction of travelling, if you are landing your first Hand Spring perfectly in balance you will be killing all your momentum and making it very difficult.