This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 101015

Started by Coach Sommer, October 15, 2010 · 19 Replies · 2,536 Views

Coach Sommer

K7DaRCQh0lY

Perform:

1x10 Cast Wall Walks

1x5 Pike Box Press HS

1x10 Straddle Box Press HS

10 minutes of HS Wall Runs

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Rest 1-2 minutes between Press HS sets.

2) If Cast Wall Walks are insufficiently challenging, you may perform PL Wall Walks instead. The key difference between these two variations is that the hands will remain behind the shoulders at all times during the descent and ascent of the PL Walks, whereas in the Cast Wall Walks the hands are directly under the shoulders.

3) Remember to adjust the height as necessary during the Box Press HS variations to ensure that the presses are sufficiently challenging.

4) If you cannot press to HS, then press to HeS.

5) If you are strong enough, replace the Box Press HS variations with Press HS from an L-sit on parallets or PBs.

6) If you exceptionally strong, perform the Press HS variations on the XR.

7) Rest 3-5 minutes

8 ) Spend 10 minutes performing HS Wall runs. Time spent resting does not count toward the 10 minute total. Strive to perform the 10 minutes of HS Wall Runs in as few sets as possible.

9) Rest as necessary, but strive to keep rest periods to an absolute minimum. Unless you are already extremely well conditioned gymnastically, this should be a very challenging workout.

10) You may increase the intensity of the HS Wall Runs by lifting a straight arm up to the hips during each step rather than merely touching the shoulder.

Joshua Naterman

Awesome! I have been looking forward to a HS WOD.

jutajata

Oh crap i just hate 10 min of Hs Wall Run; i know it's extremely necessary for a good handstand conditioning but its so demanding, time to sweat.

Joshua Naterman

You know it! This will be what I am doing after my test this afternoon.

Justin Kyle

Todays WOD:

1x10 cast walks

1x5 pike press HS (straight arms with head on mat)

1x10 straddle press HS (straight arms with head on mat)

10 min HS Wall Runs (5min, 3min, 2 min)

2x10 wrist pushups

Notes- I was really happy with this workout. I did my best time ever on HS Wall runs with 5 minutes! My traps felt like they were going to explode! Hopefully get 10 straight minutes one day. Great stuff. God bless you guys

Joshua Naterman

I feel GREAT!

Cast wall walks: 5, 2, 3. There were about 30s rest between the "sets." Much better body line, which makes these harder for me, but I also didn't get as tired. I could have done 7-8 in a row but I didn't want to push to failure.

Since A) my neck is somewhat sore and B) I did a few sets of pike HeS presses yestarday I decided to try wall presses. I found that starting in the fully extended HS, coming down in a tuck, and then extending to a straddle at ~90 degrees hip flexion and pressing back up was the hardest thing I could do, so I did 3 sets of 5. This is helping me to learn to curl my back as I come down, which is not a skill I currently seem to possess.

After this, I did 10 sets of around 12 touches per shoulder, which each took about 20s. I'd My first set was 15 and my second set was 13, then one set of 10 slower touches and 7 sets of 12. My total time running was 210s, or 3:30. Pretty big improvement from the last time I tried this. I took 1 minute rests between each set. I also concentrated on my body line, which made the wall runs both harder AND easier. Harder because my shoulder girdle was under more load but easier because my balance was better and I wasn't sliding so much on the wall.

I feel great now, after my second PWO meal, and with 3-4 more to go in the next two hours I should be on top of the world! I can't wait for the next HS workout!

Brendan Sonnichsen

Is jumping into the workout of the day the best way to get started, or is it better to choose a more focused beginner program?

Some stats:

Strict muscle-ups - 5

Kipping muscle-ups - 10

Handstand walk max - 3 meters

Freestanding HeSPU - 1

Paralette HSPU - 3

Pistols - 0 because of poor ankle mobility... but I can rep them out if I elevate my ankle.

I have near-legit straddle levers for 5 seconds.

Goal: be strong like a gymnast. However I will, for the sake of my career goals, continue to run once/week & swim once or twice/week.

Thank you for your input!

Tyler Schmitz

Today's WOD:

1 x 10 Cast Wall Walks

Rest 2 min

1 x 5 Straddle HS Press Negatives

Rest 2 min

1 x 5 Straddle Wall Press HS

Rest 1 min

1 x 5 Straddle Wall Press HS

Rest 5 min

10 min HS Wall Runs (in 9 sets)

Rest around 1 min bet each set

Finished with 2 x 10 Wrist Pushups (feet elevated 2 ft)

Also did 3 x 10 Hip Extensions from yesterday's WOD

The HS wall runs are one of my weakest exercises but getting stronger at them.

Note:

Always have more energy on days after a night of moderate drinking so played with HS presses before WOD and did my first one with a bit of a lean from my toes!!! I think I will continue to drink 1 to 3 beers a day because of the energy boost and because I read a study saying that moderate drinkers outlived abstainers. Anyone know why the extra energy??

Brendan Sonnichsen
treemantyler said:
Anyone know why the extra energy??

It is probably like a carb load... you could experiment with substituting another source of starchy carbs (e.g. sweet potatos, rice, etc.) in the same fashion and see if you get the same kind of effect. Also, if you're a person who takes on a lot of stress, just chilling out probably helps free up a little testosterone, too.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

WU:

500m Row

12 Pushups

12 Hollow Rocks

6 HeSPU

30s HS Hold

FSP:

2 x 1 Front Lever (Tuck; 30s, 30s)

2 x 1 Straddle L (PB Low; 15s, 15s)

2 x 1 Planche (Tuck; 8s, 10s) Wrist no hurt anymore back to tuck!

2 x 1 Manna (PB Low; 10s, 10s)

2 x 1 L-Sit (Bent; 25s, 30s) Gonna start to extend now at low position.

2 x 1 Back Lever (Straddle; 10s, 10s) Very solid

WOD:

1 x 10 Cast Wall Walks; rest 2mins.

1 x 8 Pike Press HeS; rest 2mins.

1 x 12 Straddle Press HeS; rest 5mins.

Max Effort Weighted Strict Muscle Up Until Failure; Achieved 26#

5 Minutes of HS Wall Runs (1 min on; 1 min off)

Finish with 2 x 10 Wrist Pushups on Knees. Stretch.

Tyler Schmitz
bso said:
treemantyler said:
Anyone know why the extra energy??

It is probably like a carb load... you could experiment with substituting another source of starchy carbs (e.g. sweet potatos, rice, etc.) in the same fashion and see if you get the same kind of effect. Also, if you're a person who takes on a lot of stress, just chilling out probably helps free up a little testosterone, too.

Thanks; however, I do eat plenty of starchy carbs, including brown rice, sweet potatoes, oatmeal, and whole grain cereal and still never feel the same like after drinking alcohol. I have a theory that it could be because of good sleep since it does help me sleep better. I doubt it has anything to do with the extra carbs though because the beer I drink is light with very low carbs.

Nic Scheelings

Coach,

I've started working Y-press HS. I'm just wondering if it is appropriate to put these into this WOD perhaps before the pike press? Currently can lift to the Y-press but not stick them very often, normally roll out, and probably could be a little wider too. Tho it is a cool skill I'm looking to master.

Cheers.

Newguy

Done, I did jumping (Not to much jump tho) HS Pike Press's And Pike HeS Press as substitutes. The only other thing I did different is I did 7 minutes 44 seconds of HS wall runs, I would have done the full 10 minutes but there was something in my throat, upon finding out that it was mixed with blood I thought it would be a good idea to stop :) :shock: (I had just eaten and drank before hand, so I don't really think its anything to worry about)

Nice workout coach, Very nice

Joshua Naterman

BSO: You should be just fine with the WODs.

Calder Photography

Hey guys,

I'm having a little trouble with self-monitoring my form on select exercises so I've posted a video of me doing a press headstand (pike) and would love some comments on form, whether I'm performing them correctly e.t.c.

Any help you guys could offer would be hugely appreciated.

I haven't figured out how to embed videos into my post so here's a direct link:

KZQ7o5I_0wc

Thanks so much in advance to anyone who offers a hand!

Joshua Naterman

Not bad, sir!

The biggest improvement you could make would be to be in more of a tripod. Think of making an equilateral triangle using your head and hands as the points. If you can easily see your hands out of the corners of your eyes then you're in good position. If you can not see your hands they are too close to your head. This will help you be more stable in the headstand, which in turn will allow you to perform the movement better and get more out of it!

Calder Photography

Slizzardman, as always, EXACTLY the advice I needed.

Thanks so much for your reply, and for embedding the video for me.

You're a legend.

Joshua Naterman

HAHAHA Maybe in my own mind! :lol:

You're welcome.

Cole Dano
Redlac said:
Hey guys,

I'm having a little trouble with self-monitoring my form on select exercises so I've posted a video of me doing a press headstand (pike) and would love some comments on form, whether I'm performing them correctly e.t.c.

Any help you guys could offer would be hugely appreciated.

I haven't figured out how to embed videos into my post so here's a direct link:

KZQ7o5I_0wc

Thanks so much in advance to anyone who offers a hand!

Its always great when folks post video clips as it makes any online 'coaching' so much easier.

In addition to Slizz's comments, and when you find the optimal hand placement, try packing your shoulders some (lifting up from the ground and firming the scapula onto the back - this packing is a big difference between headstand and handstand) and try to drive your chest forward from your thoracic spine to take some of the rounding out of your back.

Nice post!

Max Johnson

Warmup:

Jumprope, shoulder circles/shrugs

Wrist series (palm down/up leans, 1x10 knee pushups of: dorsal, wrist, first knuckle, finger, fingertip hopping)

FSP warmup:

3x (20s Bent Straddle-L + 10s Tuck FL)

2x (30s Frogstand + 15s Reverse Pushup)

3x (20s Bent L-sit + 15s Assisted German Hang)

WOD:

2x5 Cast Wall Walks

1x5 Pike Box Press HeS (6″ box)

1x10 Straddle Box Press HeS (6″ box)

10 minutes of HS Wall Leans (in 25 mins - mostly done as 30s sets with 45s rest)

1x10 Wrist Pushups on Knees, 1x10 Wrist Pushups

Cooldown:

Dominic LaCasse Pike Stretching Routine

Ido's Scapular Mobilization Routine

2x10 Hip Extensions (forwards and sideways)

Dominic LaCasse Straddle Stretching Routine

Notes:

  • [*:5nomw8fh]Was unable to do the WODs on Thursday and Friday, so I did Friday's WOD on Monday instead, with extended prehab/stretching. I was feeling quite strong - probably because of the time off.
    [*:5nomw8fh]Doing 1x10 Cast Wall Walks still seems to be beyond me, but I might be able to do my Pike and Straddle Press HeS without a box soon.
    [*:5nomw8fh]The Wall Runs were more like "Wall Leans" - I was just leaning from one shoulder to the other without taking my hands off the floor. I might've been able to do them with shorter rest, but it's hard to judge these things from the start. 30s work with 30s rest may have been feasible, but I think many sets of 45s work is currently a bit strenuous.
    [*:5nomw8fh]Holy cow! I did a full 1x10 of real Wrist Pushups today!Form probably wasn't quite perfect, but it was pretty good, and I didn't find them too difficult either. It seems easier to do these post-WOD rather than in the warmup, so I probably won't be able to add them to the warmup for a while.