This is my first post-so it may be in the wrong forum and I apologise if this is the case. I hope to get advice with regards to my son. I will need to make some decisions for his future soon. I never did gymnastics myself.
My son is 8 years and 3months old has been doing gymnastics quite seriously for 2years. He really loves it and it has sort of taken life of its own rather more than I expected. He now does about 14 hours training per week. His coach seems to have the right attitude of getting the body ready before learning skills. I am very impressed with his improvement and very proud of him, and while not maybe up to the strength of Coach Sommer's boys he's pretty good and is very flexible too.
I'll apologise if the UK terminology that I have been taught is different but hopefully you'll understand what I'm saying enough to gauge his current status- he can pike press to handstand, straddle lever to handstand, sort of press to japanese handstand, hold a straddle planche for 5s, russian lever, hold a handstand for about 30s, 25circles on a mushroom, 8inward loops on pommel horse, 8 giants on high bar in loops he can't do it in handguards yet, roundoff flick but not roundoff flick tuck yet, front handspring, front salto. He's probably best on p-bars and mushroom and his worst apparatus is probably vault though he can now do a handspring on a table vault. He's not strong enough to muscle up yet on rings, though he can do about 15 of chins on rings and 15 dips on rings so I think its the transition he can't do, but he can do static inlos, straight swinging inlos, dislos etc. He can't hold a front lever or any of the strength holds on rings yet of course. His coach who unfortunately leaves soon says he is good enough to train UK national elite grades (only about 20 boys in a 8-9 year group did it last year) so he's quite good, but if he continues at this level he will need to find a new coach, something his current coach will help find.
Now my question is with regards to doing gymnastics seriously as a sport rather than as a training aid for other sports (which is why I originally got him into gymnastics). I am 5' 11.5" and my wife is 5'9" so I expect him to be about my height or a bit more as an adult. Of course doing elite training is very demanding on time. He is currently about 4'5" so he's average height in his school year (but he's younger than most). In a sense he is maybe an example of what bodyweight training can do for your fitness even if your not ideally proportioned for a sport. For you coaches, ex-gymnasts here, when a coach selects a possible elite gymnast would they discount a boy because he would probably get too tall? My inclination is to let him go as far as he wants if he can find a coach to take him on while he loves it and see how he grows and develops. However, I am now aware how hard a gymnast needs to train and if I do that, am I setting him up for eventual disappointment? Would you suggest his future be better served by transferring to another sport to do competitively more suitable for his body type and using the gymnastics he has learnt for conditioning for that sport?
Thanks in advance for the advice and I apologise again for the very long post and if this in the wrong forum