Challenge: Who can do a muscle up to back lever?

Started by Steve, October 10, 2010 · 50 Replies · 12,967 Views

Steve

I've been looking for a video to show my young athletes but no luck.

Maybe there's someone on the forum who can do the Muscle up to Back Lever and would post a video? Would also be interested in your thoughts of how best to develop the skill.

Thanks

Michael Traynor

A video of a MU into an inverted hang into a back lever? or?...

Sternford

picture2ef.png

Either one

Michael Traynor

awesome, there are plenty of people here who can do that, definately the second anyway, first looks brutal, i'm sure someone will post soon, sadly both moves beyond my current ability.

Joshua Naterman

It seems to me that you're going to be combining the "pelican" with the bottom of the muscle up.

aH7ob38sGN8

It seems like you'd just start at the MU transition point and move straight into the back lever using this kind of movement. I would think that this exercise would be perfect for building the strength needed for a MU=>BL.

Razz
Breaks said:
awesome, there are plenty of people here who can do that, definately the second anyway, first looks brutal, i'm sure someone will post soon, sadly both moves beyond my current ability.

Breaks either you misunderstand the difficulty of this or you switched around first and second. I'll try to post the first one soon, but the second one I believe very few here is able to do. Gregor is and I wouldn't know who else. Straight arm pullup is very hard!

Sternford
slizzardman said:
It seems to me that you're going to be combining the "pelican" with the bottom of the muscle up.

aH7ob38sGN8

It seems like you'd just start at the MU transition point and move straight into the back lever using this kind of movement. I would think that this exercise would be perfect for building the strength needed for a MU=>BL.

D: Reverse muscle ups!

Alessandro Mainente

a very great exercise can be this...from the shoulder stand slow down in a maltese position with bent arms (is not so diffuclt)...and every days (depend from your strength) slow down a little bit from maltese...maintaining the back straight...slow down is more simple with false grip...more down you go...more is the tension on the bicep (i think)

i think that when you are near to back lever you have to switch the false grip in normal grip...bl with false grip is insanely diffcult

Michael Traynor
Razz said:
Breaks said:
awesome, there are plenty of people here who can do that, definately the second anyway, first looks brutal, i'm sure someone will post soon, sadly both moves beyond my current ability.

Breaks either you misunderstand the difficulty of this or you switched around first and second. I'll try to post the first one soon, but the second one I believe very few here is able to do. Gregor is and I wouldn't know who else. Straight arm pullup is very hard!

I think I may have misinterpreted the diagrams, didn't realise the second was a straight arm pull up (these are sometimes called vertical pull ups?) I thought it was a muscle up to support then into the pelican type move to a full BL. I had asumed the first diagram was the same as the second but that instead of doing a full MU to support you stop at the transition phase and go into the pelican move into full BL...inevitably I am wrong on both accounts :) Sorry for anyone I confused. Perhaps Dillon could also perform this as well as Gregor?

Steve

Thanks for including that video Slizz - I've never seen the "pelican" before. I think you're right, the movement from above the rings to the lever position below seems to be where the focus is needed (the boys already have strong levers). I'm also thinking that the Korean dip that Coach has on YouTube needs to be developed (sorry don't know how to embed the video)

When we played with it in the gym the other day, the hard part came after the muscle transition as the boys dropped back below the rings. They couldn't get the feel of pressing their arms behind them and leaning into the lever position. Think we'll start working some pelicans, Korean dips and maybe spotting them through the move in a tuck position. It would be sooo much easier to teach if I had a video to show.

Also found this video of GregorsGym doing a BtGB WOD and he comes quite close to the movement that Alex87 is describing (see around :45sec)

His youtube channel is http://www.youtube.com/user/GregorsGym

John Sapinoso

i can do the first one, can't imagine someone being able to do the second one without being ungodly strong

Nic Scheelings

Muscle up to back lever is not that hard, it has to be the easiest B on rings by a mile. I can do one, as can more than a few people at my gym.

Gregor

I've seen many people doing it but not many doing it correctly. You must doit without any support all movement to back lever must be in hang....

The easiest B is iron cross :mrgreen:

Steve
Gregor said:
I've seen many people doing it but not many doing it correctly. You must doit without any support all movement to back lever must be in hang....

The easiest B is iron cross :mrgreen:

So the shoulders should never go above the rings? Gregor, do you think developing this skill is a smart use of time or are there other priorities?

Demus...Ts00nami... Any chance you would post a video?

Nic Scheelings

Ok I'll try to film one tonite, now I'm under the pump it better be good :)

Razz

I'm hoping to film one tonight aswell

Gregor
Steve said:
Gregor said:
I've seen many people doing it but not many doing it correctly. You must doit without any support all movement to back lever must be in hang....

The easiest B is iron cross :mrgreen:

So the shoulders should never go above the rings? Gregor, do you think developing this skill is a smart use of time or are there other priorities?

Demus...Ts00nami... Any chance you would post a video?

1.Yes

2.Depends what are your goals. I can't anwser you that

3.Not in my domain :lol::lol::mrgreen:

gymgreg

This guy does a pretty good MU to BL (at around 2:19)

CSE1iGxxwjk

Gregor
gymgreg said:
This guy does a pretty good MU to BL (at around 2:19)

CSE1iGxxwjk

To high shoulder must not go above the rings, there should not be any support.

Nic Scheelings

Ok here's an attempt a muscle up to back lever. I don't train this skill at all and have only done it a few times ever so it's prob far from perfect but I think I could perfect it with some training. Then again maybe I'm not doin it right at all and it's harder then i think :?

Oh well hope this at least gives people an idea

w3UGG2O6FPw

Joshua Naterman

I think the only issue is that your shoulders rise above the bottom of the rings. It appears that the top of the shoulder must remain at or below the bottom of the rings throughout the whole movement. Regardless, that was AWESOME!

Steve

Thanks so much for the videos guys. The boys at the gym will be impressed and will for sure understand how its to be done. I really appreciate the great resource this forum provides, with so much knowledge and people willing to share. Thanks!

Demus, that looks awesome -nicely done! What do you think about the shoulder position?

I've been thinking about this, and just don't see how shoulders can stay under the rings. How do the hands move back to a lever position without pulling underneath your shoulders. Seems like the muscle up transition has to happen, which of course put your shoulders above your hands (same thing as above the rings).

Thoughts???

Gregor
slizzardman said:
I think the only issue is that your shoulders rise above the bottom of the rings. It appears that the top of the shoulder must remain at or below the bottom of the rings throughout the whole movement. Regardless, that was AWESOME!

+1, I was actualy surprised, I didn't expect so good execution.

Demus is very strong as I see!

Gregor
Demus said:
Muscle up to back lever is not that hard, it has to be the easiest B on rings by a mile. I can do one, as can more than a few people at my gym.

BTW if you can do it, that does not mean it is easy :wink: It can be easy for you or me, but generaly it's hard! That means you are strong.

Nic Scheelings

Wow means a lot to me coming from you Gregor.

I know what u mean it's not easy but I personally think it's easier then cross, straddle planche, straight arm pike press ect...

So as a B it just seems easier then a lot of the others and quite achievable. I mean inverted muscle up is a B right? And that is way harder.