I want to be able to start to work on my muscle-up progression on the XR but the false grip is really painful. I can not do a false grip pull or do muscle-up negatives because the lower portion into a false grip hurts so much. What can I do to get use to the false grip because I have seen guys do false grip like its nothing but it hurts my wrist so much.
I Need False Grip Help
Started by Bob Sanders, October 9, 2010 · 8 Replies · 9,549 Views
Same as anything... progressively. Do the false grip for a small amount of time that you can bear and progressively increase that time.
Aren't principles great? They can be applied to any situation!
In addition to that, how is your wrist prehab? Are you keeping up with it? Also, perhaps try false grip pulls with a band for assistance. Your grip might hurt less if it isn't carrying all your bodyweight just yet. You wouldn't do a handstand wrist pushup right away. Why should the false grip be any different? Hope that helps!
Start doing horizontal false grip holds and body rows/horizontal pullups.
You probably need to stretch out your wrists A LOT MORE. Many people have difficulty with this kind of flexibility early on.
Its not the flexibility issue that is restricting me. Its that I can't put all my weight on the false grip so I can't do a negative or even an ascent on a false grip pull up.
How about a hold? Make it even easier by simply squatting under the rings with bent legs and that should be a fraction of your bodyweight.
Work up to hangs downhill diagonally, horizontally, then uphill and vertical. Then worry about building the pull action while in false grip.
Are you using chalk? Chalk makes false grip significantly easier.
I've experienced the same thing with false grip strength. It just seemed so brutal at first, I didn't believe I could ever hold it. Now I can hold it about 1-2 seconds. ![]()
What's helped me is 45 degree pullups with a false grip (feet on the ground) and trying to hang knees bent lifting one leg off the ground then tip-toeing on the other leg. Hope that helps!
sounds like your ulnar isn't developed enough to hold that position. I am gonna go off the deep end and recommend something that most may not consider:
forearm dowel rollups
iiFWtHXAUrA
twisting a towel as tight as you possibly can, in both directions, also works quite well. be sure to keep up your wrist mobility work as your strength goes up or your extensors and your ulnar will be VERY tight and you will need some A.R.T. or specific prehab work to get the tissue mobile again. I am speaking from experience. A.R.T worked the best. Be very diligent with this exercise, it is not about how much weight you can throw on there, it's about the "virtual" pressure you use to develop your wrist.
Does this help?