Nice article about the 2010 DGAC report

Started by Freeflyer, October 6, 2010 · 26 Replies · 7,042 Views

Jay Guindon
trianglechoke7 said:
Jay Guindon said:
ok, I misunderstood what you were saying. Regardless of insulin and fat storage, keeping insulin production to a minimum (and blood glucose levels low but adequate) seems to me to be a good idea.

Sure, but that isn't the point. The point is that people are making specific claims about insulin that are false (I would argue). Just because it's bad to have chronically high insulin levels doesn't mean its ok to make false claims about it.

Sure no one should make false claims, I'm not suggesting they should, just clarifying whether or not you thought excess insulin production was desired or not. I haven't read enough into the literature to take any side on insulin = fat storage debate, but I have read enough of the literature to believe that keeping insulin/blood glucose to a minimum is ideal for health/longevity. While I have not yet read the papers the article was referring to, I recently read that keeping tight control of blood glucose leads to postiive expression of longevity genes.

Razz, I am only interested in nutrition's effect on health/longevity and training only for everyday work capacity and the health benefits that come with increased muscle mass/cardiovascular fitness (such as ability to recover from illness and higher chances of survival in extreme sickness). Given that I am a general fitness enthusiast just for health/quality of life benefits and I tailor my nutrition to this type of living, I have limited knowledge of fueling for performance. From my limited experience, I understand it is possible to achieve excellent performance keeping carbs low overall but putting most of them into the post workout window to refill muscle glycogen. I also understand that some people do a little better on higher carbs, and as long as the carbs are quality carbs, high-ish carb is not problematic for health longevity, and can boost performance. Slizzardman might know more about fueling for performance as I believe he did the ISSA sport nutrition module.

Razz

Currently trying out low carb at all times except around workout:

pre WO: 1 banana, 15g BCAA

intra WO: sipping on 25g carbs from berry juice

PWO: banana, whey

I'll let you guys know how it goes performance wise.