Positioning of hand for one arm HS

Started by acegerter, October 5, 2010 · 1 Replies · 2,867 Views

acegerter

This is sort of directed to Handbalancer but all input is appreciated.

In my one arm work I make sure my middle fingers are pointing straight forward and parallel to one another. Today I experimented with lining my pointer fingers straight forward and parallel which makes the middle flair out a bit. I felt a bit more stable that way but I'm not sure which method is technically correct in the handbalancing world.

Is one way better than the other? Or is it all just preference?

Thanks

Mikael Kristiansen

I would say that it is mostly about preference. Most handbalancers I know keep their index finger pointing directly in front, so that the hand is slightly turned outwards. This way, if standing on a block, the index and middle fingers would be on the front of the block, while the ring finger and the little fingers are on the side.

I however keep my middle fingers pointing straight ahead, and have 3 fingers in front if on block, and I feel much more comfortalble with this. I have seen super performers with both grips on blocks, so I dont think it matters that much.

What does matter is that you are able to keep the weight in the middle of your palm, so you neither fall too far over the fingers so you cant hold it, nor go to the bottom of the palm.