This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 101005

Started by Coach Sommer, October 5, 2010 · 23 Replies · 3,112 Views

Coach Sommer

K7DaRCQh0lY

Perform:

1x10 Cast Wall Walks

1x5 Pike Box Press HS

1x10 Straddle Box Press HS

12 cycles of XR Strap HS

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Rest 1-2 minutes between Press HS sets.

2) If Cast Wall Walks are insufficiently challenging, you may perform PL Wall Walks instead. The key difference between these two variations is that the hands will remain behind the shoulders at all times during the descent and ascent of the PL Walks, whereas in the Cast Wall Walks the hands are directly under the shoulders.

3) Remember to adjust the height as necessary during the Box Press HS variations to ensure that the presses are sufficiently challenging.

4) If you cannot press to HS, then press to HeS.

5) If you are strong enough, replace the Box Press HS variations with Press HS from an L-sit on parallets or PBs.

6) If you exceptionally strong, perform the Press HS variations on the XR.

7) Rest 3-5 minutes after completing all of the Press HS work and then begin the XR Strap HS.

8 ) Each XR Strap HS cycle consists of 30 work followed by 45 seconds of rest. Go directly from one cycle to the next with no additional rest.

9) DO NOT come down during the 30 seconds of HS. If you do come down, that cycle does not count towards your total of 12 cycles.

10) To perform XR Strap HS drop your Xtreme Rings down to 6â€-8†from the ground. Now kick up into a handstand widely straddling your legs so that they wrap around the straps. Straighten and lock your arms as much as possible and begin timing your HS.

11) The XR Strap HS can be made much more physically demanding by placing your feet along the inside of the straps rather than wrapping your legs around the straps. The intensity can be further increased by ensuring that your elbows are completely locked and straight.

12) If XR Strap HSs are currently too demanding, perform Wall HS instead; although every effort should be made to complete the workout with XR Strap HS.

Philip Papandrea

Hi

1x7, 1x3 cast wall walks.

Improving on these each time.

1x5 pike press hes

1x4, 1x3, 1x3 straddle press hes.

Struggled with these today. I think it's a body alignment issue with the press headstands. Sometimes they seem easy and other times it's a real struggle.

12 sets of 15s/45s wall handstand.

Couldn't even complete a full 15 seconds on some sets. Need alot of improvment in my handstand endurance.

2x10 wrist pushups, hands elevated 3 stairs.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

WU:

1000m Row

5 Pushups

5 Ring Dips

5 HeSPU

12 ABMAT situps unanchored

12 Back Extensions on GHD

FSP:

2 x 1 Straddle-L (PB Low; 20s, 20s)

2 x 1 FL (Flat Tuck; 5s, 5s)

2 x 1 Planche (Tuck; 11s, 11s)

2 x 1 Manna (MSH Low; 10s, 10s) Moved to MSH Low Woot!

2 x 1 BL (Flat Tuck/Straddle; 15s, 10s) Moved to Straddle Woot!

2 x 1 L-Sit (Floor; 5s, 7s)

WOD:

1 x 10 Cast Wall Walks; rest 2 mins.

1 x 5 Pike Press HeSPU; rest 2 mins.

1 x 10 Straddle Press HeSPU; rest 5 mins.

12 Cycles of XR Strap HS Hold (Black Elastic Assistance; Feet Inside Straps; 20s to 30s each)

Finished with 2 x 10 wrist pushups on knees, 3 x 5 side rotator cuffs (8#). Stretched.

A very good day :mrgreen: Keep it the good work guys!

j4b

- flat back PL static warmup, 7x 6 sec

- FL test: 3 second straddle, 1 second full (not solid though)

- 10 Cast Wall Walks (did 3 PL wall walks)

- 10 RLL - Wall HS (straddle)

- 12 Cycles ring HS, feet on inside, rings turned out

-1x5 negative side lever pull (straddle)

- 2x10 wrist pushups, as slow as possible through the wrist bending, minimal bend in elbows

** When doing the 12 Cycle ring HS workout, does anyone's lower back get taxed pretty heavily? I feel like I should be tucking my hips or something :\

Newguy

Unfortunately I have to skip today, I am pretty sick :( :x :( I might end up doing some light ring stuff later tho :/

Patrick Angelo Sardilli
j4b said:
- flat back PL static warmup, 7x 6 sec

- FL test: 3 second straddle, 1 second full (not solid though)

- 10 Cast Wall Walks (did 3 PL wall walks)

- 10 RLL - Wall HS (straddle)

- 12 Cycles ring HS, feet on inside, rings turned out

-1x5 negative side lever pull (straddle)

- 2x10 wrist pushups, as slow as possible through the wrist bending, minimal bend in elbows

** When doing the 12 Cycle ring HS workout, does anyone's lower back get taxed pretty heavily? I feel like I should be tucking my hips or something :\

I felt a little taxed towards the end but not much. Are you straight? there should be not arch on your back; keep abs really tight, like a handstand. anyone else got pointers?

Patrick Angelo Sardilli
Newguy said:
Unfortunately I have to skip today, I am pretty sick :( :x :( I might end up doing some light ring stuff later tho :/

Your body needs the energy to fight the cold and/or bacteria in your body. Give it the rest and let it combat don`t do anything stressful.

Newguy
SPARTAN-367 (PAT) said:
Newguy said:
Unfortunately I have to skip today, I am pretty sick :( :x :( I might end up doing some light ring stuff later tho :/

Your body needs the energy to fight the cold and/or bacteria in your body. Give it the rest and let it combat don`t do anything stressful.

Okay thanks for the advice, I will take it :wink:

Kenneth Manning

10/5 WOD:

Cast walks 6,4

straddle box press HS (against wall) Box 8" above parallette handles: 6 sets of 2 reps

pike press HeS x 10

pike press HeS, head on 6" block x 5

12 cycles of regular wall HS

2x10 wrist pushups (on knees)

*what are some additional ways to train the "upper body" portion of the press HS? I ask because doing press HeS, even weighted on ankles, will challenge the core and lower back, but doesn't really seem to do anything to train the upper body for the rigors of press HS? Although I was able to do 6 sets of 2 reps in the straddle press HS, I had to use the wall as a brace, and had to set my grip about 16" from the wall. It takes all I have to keep my hips above my head when going from the concentric to the eccentric. I know I need to improve my shoulder strength -- just not exactly sure what method is most appropriate or most specific to press HS work.

That may be a bit rambling, but as I'm sure some of you have experienced, the pike press HeS seems easy, but when you attempt a BOX pike press HS, you end up upside down in a pike position trying to "will" your toes off the box. And they just sit there. :evil:

Joshua Naterman

6,3,3 Cast Wall Walks... I know, I know. I did two extra. These are really starting to work well for me.

Pike and straddle HeS presses from the floor, 10 each. Super easy now! Actually, I was playing around and got my first rocking (but not jumping) HS straddle press on the floor! I'm pretty sure my legs weren't 100% locked but pretty close. All this stretching and HS press specific stuff is really working! HeS presses are straight arm with fingertips. I'm almost entirely on my head, as far as weight distribution. Feels good.

All I can suggest to everyone here is that you think about the ranges of motion involved and work on active pike compression a lot. Just working on pike and straddle pike compression and mentally performing presses by shifting the weight onto the hands WHILE strongly compressing into the straddle pike is a big, big help.

Wrist push ups, of course.

Eddie Stelling

FSP:

4 x 15s Straddle-L (Bent knees)

4 x 15s FL (Flat Tuck)

3 x 30s Planche (Adv. Frog)

3 x 30s Reverse Push up

3 x 20s German Hang

5 x 13s L-Sit (Bars)

4 x 15s XR Support Hold

2 x 15s Planche Lean

WOD:

1 x 10 Cast Wall Walks (6,4) - rest 2 mins.

1 x 5 Pike Press HeS (1, 2, 5) - rest 2 mins. (Had terrible balance at first but was determined to do 5 in a row.)

1 x 10 Straddle Press HeS (1, 9, 3) - rest 3 mins. (Same problem here at first, then got 9 and fell so I did 3 more.)

12 Cycles of XR Strap HS Hold (30s work, 45s rest)

Finished with 2 x 10 wrist pushups on knees

I moved my hands closer to being directly under my shoulders for the HeS, and was struggling at first with the balance, but it went well after a few falls. Would really like to press to a HeSPU on these sets, but I really struggle with a free standing HeSPU when starting with the head on the ground. I can do a freestanding HSPU but can not press up from a HeS into a HS. Does this make sense? I didn't know these were harder??

Joshua Naterman

Dead starts are difficult. When you start in a handstand and do a HeSPU you are using the stretch reflex which provides more power. Your starting strength is how much force you can produce without the stretch reflex in any given position, and your inability to press up from a HeS means you need to work on this. Isometrics will be your best bet. Isometrics are good for starting strength and progressive acceleration, used properly.

Michael Traynor

Sad that I did my work out before I was able to check the WOD, but funily enough ended up doing HS work anyway :)

Ryan Hutchins
killroy70 said:

*what are some additional ways to train the "upper body" portion of the press HS? I ask because doing press HeS, even weighted on ankles, will challenge the core and lower back, but doesn't really seem to do anything to train the upper body for the rigors of press HS? Although I was able to do 6 sets of 2 reps in the straddle press HS, I had to use the wall as a brace, and had to set my grip about 16" from the wall. It takes all I have to keep my hips above my head when going from the concentric to the eccentric. I know I need to improve my shoulder strength -- just not exactly sure what method is most appropriate or most specific to press HS work.

well i'm no Coach Sommers but i would suggest that you work on wall press handstands. Put your hands 6 to 8 inches from a wall, lean (at first) against the wall with your neck and upper back. and then slowly lift your feet from the ground to a straddle. I don't know if you know this but make sure you curl one vertebrae at a time against the wall. after you are in the inverted straddle with your back flat against the wall then bring your legs together to complete the handstand. Then reverse the process. once you can do that with a 2 seconds up four seconds down tempo about 5 times in a row for 3 sets. then i would move on to box press handstand. or even assisted freestanding press handstand.

Tyler Schmitz

Today's WOD:

1 x 10 Cast Wall walks

Rest 2 min

1 x 5 Straddle Press HS Negative

Rest 2 min

2 x 5 Straddle Wall Press HS

Rest 5 min

12 sets XR HS Holds- ft on inside strap-30 sec hold with 45 sec rest each set

Finished with 2 x 10 Wrist Pushups with ft Elevated

Joshua Naterman

I completely forgot to mention my XR HS. 9 rounds of 15s, 45s rest.

Kenneth Manning

Quick question for those of you performing actual XR (strap assisted) HS's: do you have any advice as to the best way to safely get into the HS without a spot? The reason I ask is that I tried these for the first time ever a month or 2 ago (a WOD called for them and I gave them a go). I kicked up and attempted to straddle my legs against the straps, but one leg missed, the rings twisted, and I just fell forward right onto my back. Luckily for me, nothing happened. I just dusted myself off and looked around to see if anyone had seem me crash :oops: . Anyway, just looking for any ideas on how to get into an XR HS withOUT having to kick up into one (and no, I can't XR press into one. Though that would be awesome).

Blairbob

hmm, get in a shoulderstand. use your legs to help you climb up to HS by spidering them up using a straddle.

Joshua Naterman

I use an XR elevated headstand. Much easier than kicking up unsupported.

Kenneth Manning

Interesting.... an XR elevated headstand. I'm going to have to give that one a try!

Cole Dano
slizzardman said:
I use an XR elevated headstand. Much easier than kicking up unsupported.

Interesting, can you put that in one of your videos? How do you do it?

Joshua Naterman

In my current set up it looks really silly, because I use one of those plastic milk crates with a 2x12 on top for "comfort." I pad the 2x12 with a folded piece of yoga mat material, and then lean forward and put most of my weight on my head, some weight on the rings through 2/3 straight arms, kick up into a bent arm strap XR headstand, and use the legs to press up to the handstand. I find that I am able to get very good body alignment this way.

Eddie Stelling

Well at least I now know it happened to someone else! I have wiped out before trying the XR HS and I had some close calls on this WOD as well. But, as the sets went on I got better and better at kicking up into the HS. The first couple I found myself spinning around with one leg wrapped until I could get it together and get my other leg wrapped. I noticed that this was due to me not looking back/at the ground slightly behind me. I was looking slightly forward because I was scared/nervous about where I was going to land when I fell. After 3 rounds I gained some confidence and kicked up in a very controlled manner. Focus on trying to place your elbows against the straps and the rings some what close together. Hold it hard and kick up looking down/behind you so that you your shoulders are directly over your hands, and your hips will get there quickly. Your legs can't miss the straps if you straddle them, you just have to be confident in your kick up as if you were on the ground. Practice with a pad under you. I have tried spidering up the straps from a shoulder stand to a HS, and it works but extremely taxing on the shoulders and for me it took away from the workout.

Max Johnson

Warmup:

Jumprope, shoulder circles/shrugs

Wrist series (palm down/up leans, 1x10 knee pushups of: dorsal, wrist, first knuckle, finger, fingertip hopping)

FSP warmup:

3x (20s Bent Straddle-L + 10s Tuck FL)

2x (30s Frogstand + 15s Reverse Pushup)

3x (20s Bent L-sit + 15s Assisted German Hang)

WOD:

2x5 Cast Wall Walks

1x5 Pike Box Press HeS (11″ Box)

1x10 Straddle Box Press HeS (11″ Box)

12 cycles of Wall HS

2x10 Wrist Pushups on knees

Cooldown:

Ido's Scapular Mobilization Routine

Notes:

  • [*:235wlr89]Cast Wall Walks are still tough, but I'm getting better in the HeS presses. Don't think I can quite do a proper Pike Press HeS without the box yet.
    [*:235wlr89]Wall HS cycles have become MUCH easier - I didn't have to cheat at all by taking slightly longer rests or coming down after 25s, unlike last time.
    [*:235wlr89]Wrist Pushups are still improving - I managed two real ones at the end, which made me disproportionately happy.