Tumbling Critique

Started by jamesters, October 2, 2010 · 6 Replies · 1,808 Views

jamesters

NmuCge47sDg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmuCge47sDg

This was my first time filming my tumbling in a long time. My tumbling looks works worse than I realized but I think it's partly because this was at the end of my session and my fatigue was leaving a bad impression on my form.

So clearly I need to keep my feet together on the back hand springs and I need to get my shoulders more narrow, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I need to concentrate on.

Sternford

Looked like your body was kind of crooked even though you moved in a straight line. I don't know what causes that or anything though

Joshua Naterman

Sternford's right, that is so strange!

Darius

You;re making a pretty common mistake with your roundoff. i.e. Your hands are dropping and crossing over your center line. That makes the roundoff crooked as well as short. Try doing it on one of those lines making sure that both your feet and hands are on or close to the line. Focus on stretching out the beginning of the roundoff.

yuri marmerstein

another slightly smaller issue is that you have a broken shoulder angle in your bhs

in addition, you are not setting your layout

your arms are dropping right away and you have to use your head to get the rotation. go straight up and let your arms pull you back before you drop them

jamesters

UPDATE:

i75MRcwhCW4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i75MRcwhCW4

I'm just focusing on getting my feet all the way together and getting my arms more narrow. How's it looking, anything else I need to work on?

I can't remember who or why, but I've heard it said it's okay for the arms to be a bit past shoulder width, any opinions, should I strive for shoulder width, because right now I think they're a tad beyond.

Also, here's front tumbling, which is new to me and I know little about. Any advice for my front tumbling?

bhLQ44-RyH0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhLQ44-RyH0

Darius

The back tumbling looks a little better, but its still a little up and down. When you do your roundoff you want to turn it over a bit more so that your feet finish in front of you. That way the back handspring will travel backwards more which is desirable.

Right now in your front tumbling, you are not connecting the front handspring to the front tuck. Front handspring should finish in a tight arch with your head back, arms by ears and legs straight(er). You are sitting up out of the handspring and looking forward too soon.