Stall Bars - and shoulder soreness??

Started by realize50, October 2, 2010 · 3 Replies · 2,679 Views

realize50

Hi All, I am 51.

At 50 - I tried planches, then it came to kneeling roll outs and standing roll outs , and the idea I could do simple rings etc. I am improving monthly on the basics, but I recently built a set of stall bars and have taken to doing 3 days a week hanging leg raises on the stall bars.I follow IDO's routine for shoulder stretching , but sometimes my front shoulders the next day are sore,

why? the soreness, this does not occur when hanging leg raises to the ceiling are in form just hanging from rings.

I can do 5 full SRO, and 5 full dragon flags controlled, so my core strength is much better now at 51.

I stretch with the IDO routine and it decreases the soreness.

I wonder if I am moving my shoulders up,(I tried to do the russian lift on the bars but cannot). I concisously try to keep the back and butt drawn down to the floor when doing these stall bar leg raises.

Any help, and thanks this is a great place!

Regards

Robt

Philip Chubb

I am not quite sure I understood the question. You're asking why you get sorness on the stall bars and not the rings? Or the other way around. I can tell you in general, that the stall bars really do make a difference in what muscles work during a HLL. I don't have stall bars so I usually do them on a bar. When I go to my gymnastics club and do HLL on stall bars, it's a lot more concentrated in my abs, even though on the bar I feel like im not leaning back at all.

Like I said though, it would help if you could rephrase your question and I will try to answer it better. I hope this at least somewhat helped.

Razz

The shoulders get pushed forward on the stall bars and are most likely in a much more open angle than when you do your HLL from rings or a plain bar. If you have bad shoulder flexibility already then putting a big load on the shoulders in this position like when doing stall bar HLL may be too much.

realize50

Thanks Phillip and Razz,

Yes I get the soreness on the Stall Bars only, and I was thinking it was due to shoudler flexibility.

Would you both recommend anything to help other than IDOS routine?

I do enjoy that the SB make the movt much harder.

Thanks again

Robt