Locked elbows

Started by colcio, October 1, 2010 · 2 Replies · 2,667 Views

colcio

In many posts Coach emphesises locked elbow, Iron cross or flys with rings are supposed to be performed with straight ,locked elbows. If I try to do it It feels like I'm about to dislocate my elbows, most of the muscle tension disapears and the weight hangs on my elbow, is this how it should be? am I prepering my joints to take most of my weight? It seems imposible to me, I'm more than half a way to the iron cross but if I tried to lock my elbows I would dislocate it,or maybe there's some specific technique to activate muscles that would support the hold?

Thanks

Alessandro Mainente

specific work for biceps tendons is very useful to prevent dislocation and for elbow conditioning...

Philip Chubb
colcio said:
In many posts Coach emphesises locked elbow, Iron cross or flys with rings are supposed to be performed with straight ,locked elbows. If I try to do it It feels like I'm about to dislocate my elbows, most of the muscle tension disapears and the weight hangs on my elbow, is this how it should be? am I prepering my joints to take most of my weight? It seems imposible to me, I'm more than half a way to the iron cross but if I tried to lock my elbows I would dislocate it,or maybe there's some specific technique to activate muscles that would support the hold?

Thanks

If you're doing an iron cross but can't lock your elbows, you probably aren't ready to be doing an iron cross. Coach has a few prerequisites before engaging in iron cross work. Supports, L-sit supports, handstand on rings, press handstand on rings, and planche on rings pretty much seals the deal. I'm working a planche on the rings and let me tell you, my elbows have never felt stronger. My bicep actually goes down into the elbow almost. Do you have these progressions done yet? If not then go back and do them. Injuring your elbow is NOT fun. If you do have these progressions and are still having issues, find a way to lower the load using bands or spotting yourself with your feet.