This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100930

Started by Coach Sommer, September 30, 2010 · 21 Replies · 2,983 Views

Coach Sommer

L0mrC1c597c

Complete 3 sets each:

1 Embedded BL + 5 Tempo ½ Reverse MU

1 Embedded XR L-sit + 5 Tempo Korean Dips

1 Embedded FL + 6 Tempo Side Lever Pulls

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

notes:

1) Warm-up by performing 2-3 easier Curl/Dip variations prior to beginning your working sets. The variations used should initially begin with one that is quite easy and then get progressively more difficult from warm-up set to warm-up set.

2) Choose a body position for the embedded static strength variation that allows you to hold the position for 15 seconds per rep.

3) Rest 10-20 seconds between the embedded static and the subsequent exercise. Rest 1-2 minutes in between giant sets.

4) Use a tempo of 313 for the basic strength sets. For the pull-ups, this equates to a 3 second ascent, followed by a 1 second pause at the top, then a 3 second descent.

5) You may scale the workout as necessary by substituting another exercise from the same movement family as necessary. You may add weight if necessary to make the Korean Dips sufficiently challenging for 5 reps.

6) If necessary, you may perform only the negative portion of the ½ Reverse MU and/or the Side Lever Pulls. For the Side Lever Pulls perform 3 reps on the right side and then switch to 3 reps on the left side for each set.

7) Focus on maintaining completely locked, straight elbows at all times during the XR L-sits. You may adjust the position of the legs as necessary.

8 ) DO NOT skip the Bridge Wall Walks at the end of the Workout.

Justin Kyle

Hey Coach, would you prefer us substituting a harder dip variation such as XR dips or add weight to the Korean dips? Thank you, sir!

-Justin

yuri marmerstein

can anyone here actually do a reverse muscle-up?

I've been working negatives here and there but I'm definitely still a long way off. For the one half muscle up do you mean lower from a shoulderstand halfway into the inverted curl?

I don't like korean dips on a single bar because my butt apparently sticks out too far and gets caught on the bar halfway through the exercise, making it difficult

this sounds like a good workout though, i will enjoy it. Get some flag work in too

Joshua Naterman

I have the butt problem too... sigh. I'm not sure what to do about that. As for the 1/2 Reverse MU negatives, you will start in the shoulderstand and lower to inverted hang. THe whole reverse muscle up would be from inverted hang all the way to handstand. I've seen Dillon do it in real life out in Arizona, it's pretty crazy looking. I don't know how Coach feels about partial reps on the Reverse MU, that's an interesting idea to me.

yuri marmerstein

there's a tutorial on it here.

aH7ob38sGN8

even the regular pelicans are quite challenging

gymgreg

I have the same Korean butt issue. But this is only a problem when i try to go with 313 tempo.

As soon as i do them with a bit of momentum like the athlete in the demo video, i have no problem whatsoever doing them with extra weight.

So today i disregarded the prescribed tempo and went weighted (15kg) for the Korean dips.

For the inhuman reverse MU, i opted for the assisted version with feet on a box/floor for the ascent into shoulder stand, followed by a really slow lowering into inverted hang. I think this is a pretty good progression to curl up that way since you can adjust how much your legs will assist (box hight, force) and it pretty accurately follows the original ROM of the inverse MU. But i am still curious what you guys ended up doing.

Razz

Holy crap that was one nice planche pushup in that video. Anyways coach has said before that a good substitute for ½ reverse MU is just to lower from shoulderstand as far as you can and pull back up

Ryan Libke
gymgreg said:
I have the same Korean butt issue. But this is only a problem when i try to go with 313 tempo.

As soon as i do them with a bit of momentum like the athlete in the demo video, i have no problem whatsoever doing them with extra weight.

So today i disregarded the prescribed tempo and went weighted (15kg) for the Korean dips.

For the inhuman reverse MU, i opted for the assisted version with feet on a box/floor for the ascent into shoulder stand, followed by a really slow lowering into inverted hang. I think this is a pretty good progression to curl up that way since you can adjust how much your legs will assist (box hight, force) and it pretty accurately follows the original ROM of the inverse MU. But i am still curious what you guys ended up doing.

I think I'll try the assisted version if I can't get my wife to spot. Thanks for the idea.

Joshua Naterman

Good memory Razz! I was thinking that he would say that, but I wasn't sure.

Gymgreg is probably closer than most of us to the reverse MU! Funny story... I have my assistance set up and eve with like 80 lbs of assistance, at least, I can just BARELY do one rep of the reverse MU, and it's not even to completely straight arms at the bottom because I lose the partial false grip. That is one hard move.

I haven't watched the video yet, but I came up with a really smart idea for the koreans!!! Put your PB next to the wall! OR, put a braced box under the PB so that your heels can slide up and down, as something of a self spot. Done with socks this should actually be a really good idea.

Ok, I just watched the video. One, that guy's biceps are HUGE. Two, what a BEAST! I love the box progression, though I'm not sure if I can do that either. I guess we'll find out here in a little bit. I was considering using my spotting set up and just throwing even more weight in the bucket! I may still do that, it's a good set up. I also found out that I don't have enough weight in the bucket to do a single HSPU on rings. Absolutely ridiculous how hard those are.

Razz

in yesterdays training my negative reverse muscle ups were better than ever, without really training them. I believe I can do a reverse muscle up soon :D

gymgreg
slizzardman said:

Gymgreg is probably closer than most of us to the reverse MU!

To be honest, i think i am nowhere near achieving a reverse MU in the near future.

A full reverse MU seems to be the kind of skill you get for free once you can do a maltese or press to planche.

But it's still fun to do the progressions. I really liked the workout.

Razz said:
[...] I believe I can do a reverse muscle up soon :D

That would be pretty awesome. Keep us updated.

Justin Kyle

Hey Gymgreg, could you post a video for what you did for the inverted MU portion of the workout? It sounds like a great idea but im having a hard time picturing how it would go. Thanks buddy!

Joshua Naterman

Oh. My. GOD. That progression for the reverse muscle up is great and brutal. I don't think my arms and shoulders have ever worked that hard to do ANYTHING. My first set was just negatives because my feet were too high for me, but they were pretty good negatives. My SECOND set was with lower feet and full ROM but I lost my hollow. My THIRD set was the best but it isn't on film, my camera ran out of battery. That's ok though, these are going into my bicep prehab program so we will see them again. This is a much better idea than my spotting system in its current incarnation!!! My thanks to whoever originally found that video!

My Korean dips self spot system worked PERFECTLY!!! The video will be up shortly, this evening for sure. It will be publishing while I am at school. I video'd a generic warm up for this workout and the first and most of the second round. My bridge wall walks are not on the video, I will be doing them at school after class.

Newguy

Done, This was a really fun Albeit soul crushing workout :o :shock: :lol:

The Newguy who happens to be eating some chips brought to him by his little bro who felt sorry for him after the workout :P

Patrick Angelo Sardilli
Newguy said:
Done, This was a really fun Albeit soul crushing workout :o :shock: :lol:

The Newguy who happens to be eating some chips brought to him by his little bro who felt sorry for him after the workout :P

Agreed.

WU:

2 x 13m Inch Worms

10 Ring Dips

5 Russian Dips

5 Bar Dips

10 V-Ups

FSP:

2 x 1 Straddle L (PB Low; 15s; 15s)

2 x 1 Front Lever (Flat Tuck; 5s, 7s)

2 x 1 Planche (Tuck; 13s, 12s)

2 x 1 Manna (PB Bent; 15s, 15s)

2 x 1 Back Lever (Flat Tuck; 15s, 15s)

2 x 1 L-Sit (Floor; 3s, 3s)

WOD:

Complete 3 Sets of each:

1 Embedded Back Lever (Flat Tuck); Rest 20s; 5 Negative Pelicans; Rest 2 mins.

1 Embedded XR L-Sit (Bent); Rest 20s; 5 Bar Dips @ Tempo 3131; Rest 2 mins.

1 Embedded Front Lever (Tuck); Rest 20s; 2 Leg Levers Followed by a Negative Body Lever (2x); Rest 2 mins.

Finish with 10 Bridge Wall Walks. 3 x 5 Side Rotator Cuffs (8#). Stretch.

Max Johnson

Warmup:

Jumprope, shoulder circles/shrugs

Wrist series (palm down/up leans, 1x10 knee pushups of: dorsal, wrist, first knuckle, finger, fingertip hopping)

FSP warmup:

2x (20s Bent Straddle-L + 10s Tuck FL)

2x (30s Frogstand + 15s Reverse Pushup)

2x (20s Bent L-sit + 15s Assisted German Hang)

WOD:

Warmup with Inverted Chins, Tuck Reverse Yewkis, Negative Dips, Jumping Dips

3 sets each:

1 Embedded Tuck BL + 5 Tempo Inverted Chinups

1 Embedded XR L-sit + 5 Tempo XR Dips

1 Embedded Tuck FL + 6 Tempo Supine Windshield Wipers

2x5 Bridge Wall Walks

Notes:

  • [*:hyohxpbn]So I tried Tuck FL again and I can suddenly do it pretty easily. I'll slowly add volume to it in the warmup.
    [*:hyohxpbn]I was going to do sets of GH rather than Tuck BL ("you shouldn't start BL training until you have 3x30s full GH"), but the GH is much harder and was making my right shoulder feel a bit uncomfortable. Maybe I should've skipped it in the warmup, but BL still only comes up in the actual WOD about once weekly so I don't feel too bad about doing it.
    [*:hyohxpbn]Inverted Chinups felt more difficult than usual today. XR L-Sit and Dips maybe a little easier.
    [*:hyohxpbn]First try doing Supine Windshield Wipers - I suck at these.

Tyler Schmitz

Today's WOD:

3 sets each of:

XR supp. hold to Full Lay BL (15 sec)+ (20 sec later) 1/2 Reverse MU Negatives

Rest 3 min

XR supp. hold to XR L-Sit(15 sec) + (20 sec later) 5 Korean Dips (on tramp edge)

Rest 3 min

XR supp. hold to Adv. Tuck FL (15 sec)+(20 sec later) 6 Side Lever Pull Negatives

Rest 3 min

Finished with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

-1/2 Rev. MU's were impossible so had to do negatives (as slow as possible)

-had the butt interfering with the Korean Dips also guys so hard to follow Tempo

Joshua Naterman

Video: 20UCujtQ2ko

This is only the first two rounds. I ended up doing windshield wipers instead of side lever pulls by running a rope across my parallel bar uprights under one of the bars to simulate stall bars. It's ugly but it worked. Next time hopefully I'll have stall bars set up and will be able to do the side lever pulls. They are so much easier on stall bars.

Simon Grégoire

Quick question here. Is a giant set supposed to be one embedded with a dynamic OR all tree embedded with their dynamic? Last time I did the whole thing before taking a minute break and geez... It was more of a cardio workout than anything!

edit:Found the answer... :roll: I didn't look very far... sorry 'bout that

Rafael David
Coach Sommer said:

notes:

1) Warm-up by performing 2-3 easier Curl/Dip variations prior to beginning your working sets. The variations used should initially begin with one that is quite easy and then get progressively more difficult from warm-up set to warm-up set.

how long to rest between sets and how many reps?

Joshua Naterman

The warm up sets don't need to be big and should be pretty easy, so 10-60s should be plenty. I usually just do my warm ups circuit style and don't take hardly any rest. For me that works well. I end up doing 2-3 easier circuits of 3-5 reps of progressively harder stuff, like slow push ups-slow dips-slow rows-fast push ups-fast dips-moderately fast rows, pull ups, ppp. That would be my general upper body warm up for basic strength days, for example. Of course it will be geared towards what we are doing, but that's the basic idea.

Rafael David

I do not know why but I feel better making a circuit with exercises for each body part, more or less high reps, like this: push up - FL straddle row - box hesp - pull up - dips - chinup - box SLS - HLL . It is a very fast circuit and generates a great pump, I feel it improves the static positions, such as BL and planche ...